fiduciary

Author Topic: Do you consider the v1 or the v2 to be the most iconic Luke saber in ROTJ?  (Read 19118 times)

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known as Alex Gordon
    • Evolution Arms
Re: Do you consider the Mk. VI or the v2 to be the "Hero" Luke saber in ROTJ?
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2011, 09:54:42 AM »
Ok, let's take a different approach...

Let's agree that the MKVI is a highly accurate version of the true hero lightsaber going by industry terms. That is the hero saber.

My interpretation of the question posed by the OP is, "What is the saber that is more true to being the "real" saber in ROTJ?"

My answer to that is the V2 and it's family of variants. Not the hero.

Look, the v2 is cool, but that isn't what this thread is about.  Just sayin.

Offline IndustrialAction

• Master Force User
  • IAC - Elegant designs with a more civilized edge
    • IndustrialAction Customs
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2011, 10:06:25 AM »

Let's agree that the MKVI is a highly accurate version of the true hero lightsaber going by industry terms. That is the hero saber.

My interpretation of the question posed by the OP is, "What is the saber that is more true to being the "real" saber in ROTJ?"

Look, the v2 is cool, but that isn't what this thread is about.  Just sayin.

I'll leave that to the OP. I kinda think it is.

Offline Darth Smorgis

• Master Force User
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2011, 10:48:49 AM »
If I may expand my thoughts a bit......

The V2, V3, and whatever else would not exist without the V1.
Throughout the movie you are supposed to believe that Luke is carrying around ONE saber, the V1.
Weather it be dirty or dinged up, it is supposed to be the same saber he built.  V1= Hero

V2, V3 = dirty and banged up V1 (the original)  :P

Offline Satele Shan

• Formerly known as alessandra
  • Master Force User
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2011, 10:50:51 AM »

That is more what I meant. I'll go back and clarify and say v1 instead of Mk. VI.

Offline Satele Shan

• Master Force User
Re: Do you consider the v1 or the v2 to be the "Hero" Luke saber in ROTJ?
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2011, 11:03:33 AM »
Okay, sorry for the confusion, my fault.

Let's go with this, and I've edited the original post to reflect this:

In strict industry terms, the v1 is the "Hero" prop and the v2 and v3, etc are all variants of the v1. But in ROTJ, which saber best represents **your** "Hero" Luke lightsaber.

I didn't mean for this to be an argument of "Is the v1 really the v1 or is the v2 more of a v1?" But rather which one to you best represents Luke Skywalker's lightsaber.

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2011, 11:15:39 AM »
I think the problem is that you are using the term "Hero" and, since the v1 is termed the "Hero" saber by the industry, the question ends there. 

What it seems you are trying to say, is which saber best epitomizes the ROTJ saber to you.  What is your "iconic" ROTJ saber?  Those would be better questions, IMHO. 

Facebook: VVFB

Offline Satele Shan

• Master Force User
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2011, 11:23:01 AM »
I think the problem is that you are using the term "Hero" and, since the v1 is termed the "Hero" saber by the industry, the question ends there.  

What it seems you are trying to say, is which saber best epitomizes the ROTJ saber to you.  What is your "iconic" ROTJ saber?  Those would be better questions, IMHO.  

Thanks LUMINARA. I didn't mean to cause confusion. I've gone back and edited the original poll. I'll make it so you can change your answer if you feel it necessary.

EDIT: I guess I can't. If you voted for one but with the new wording would have voted for the other, just leave a comment! :D

Offline vulcan fox

• Master Force User
Re: Do you consider the v1 or the v2 to be the most iconic Luke saber in ROTJ?
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2011, 11:33:15 AM »
they both look incredible , but strangely , although i love copper detail  i prefer the V2, i just think the saber as enough design detail so as not to need the obvious colour scheme difference,plus i see it on the palpertines throne. ;)

Offline Aus_Jedi_Killer

• Master Force User
  • You wanna buy some deathsticks? :D
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2011, 11:36:26 AM »
The v2 is basically the only ROTJ Luke saber IMO :D

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2011, 11:45:22 AM »
Fixed it for you Alessandra.  Users can now change their vote :).

Facebook: VVFB

Offline OBI-WAN KENOBI

• Resident Negotiator
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • You don't want to sell me death sticks.
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2011, 12:02:06 PM »
"I see you have constructed a new lightsaber"

They cut a lot of that scene out. Here's the full text

DV: I see you have constructed a new lightsaber, and look I tuned it up for you and gave it a nice polish.
Luke:....Thanks, I guess dad. I'm still getting used to "righty" *Whirring noise as luke flexes right hand*
DV: If you only knew the power of the darkside. Dirt and grime is too terrified to stay on my lightsaber. I'll teach you. *Throws saber in black paint bucket, uses force to pull it back out.
Imperial officer: Lord Vader your shuttle is ready.
DV: Time to go

Later:
Luke: Is this how you clean it Dad?!!!
*Wack. *
*Wack.*

Lol.  Cool, I'll have to check out this deleted scene on the blu-ray when I get a chance.  :D

Offline Satele Shan

• Master Force User
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2011, 12:09:21 PM »
Thanks again LUMINARA.

I don't think I preferred the v2 until recently when I could hold my ANH Obi-Wan and I think the v2 is more realistic and in line with the visual cues of the Obi, especially given that it's assumed he made his following plan/parts left by Obi-Wan.

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2011, 12:12:22 PM »
Luke built the V1 "Hero" in the 'missing scene' ;-), then he decided that it was too pretty for the harsh desert environment of Tatooine, and remembering how that had dulled-down Old Ben's saber [YUK hardly worthy of the First Of The New Jedi eh] Luke applied black Plasti-Dip [tm]  to the shiny copper parts for protection. Unfortunately banging around inside a Astromech droid wore off the cheapo black Plast-Dip on the thin neck against the retaining clip of the hydraulic saber thrower Anakin had installed in R2 way back in the Clone Wars [as seen in last weeks CW episode! lol] re-exposing the copper of the neck and accidentally ripping off the nice circuit card cover when thrown to Luke for use on the Sail Barge [Yuma stunt]. Luke wasn't happy about this and re-Dipped it more widely to protect it against the corrosive swamps of Dagobah and since he only had one more spare circuit card and a spare G-clamp leftover from Ben's parts box [Ben had bought them on a two-for-one special at Wattos when he first rebuilt Anakin's burnt saber with a g-clamp for Luke] Luke wrapped the G-clamp around to 'sleeve' the nice shiny v1 activation box from the elements but on Dagobah the low quality Dip coating wore off everywhere even more quickly producing the overall mottled weathered pattern of the V2. Luke didn't bother to re-Dip for Endor since the climate wasnt so harsh on the temperate Forest Moon but the worthless cheapo Dip kept crumbling away anyway and by the time Luke decided to go to Vader he'd given up and didnt want Dad to see him with a crummy saber so wiped it all away and tossed the ugly clamp in his pocket producing the nice shiny Hero again for the 'new lightsaber' scene.  

OK ok Sheldon would surely point out its not perfect past that point because of the V2/V3 scenes later but up until that point thats my best Retcon and I'm sticking to it eh?  ;) LOL
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known as Alex Gordon
    • Evolution Arms
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2011, 12:20:31 PM »
And he carried the other d-ring and emitter in his pocket right?  As well as a seamless plug for the cone knob hole.   :D

Offline vulcan fox

• Master Force User
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2011, 12:22:01 PM »
wow, :o, thats obviously what happened , i thought we all just took it for granted and didnt need to be said.? ::) ::) .. nice O-W-K. ;) ;) :D :D :D :D

retrousse