fiduciary

Author Topic: How would you rate TPM?  (Read 55231 times)

Offline vox

• No Force
  • "Non sanz droict, novus ordo seclorum."
Re: How would you rate TPM?
« Reply #165 on: June 26, 2012, 08:17:55 PM »
You know, I have to say that Wedge has an amazing take on these films. I had never thought of the story mechanics that lay behind Jar Jar and the Gungans, and after reading Wedge's posts, I can appreciate that their presence in the script was in some ways a far more subtle piece of work than we tend to give Lucas credit for. Further, in terms of how all the pieces fit together across the entire span of the six films, it may well be that TPM tells the most vital information and has the heavy responsibility of grounding the entire series, which is a difficult task. It may also be possible that the overall story-telling was handled as deftly as it could have been, and I can see the argument for an unfair maligning of Lucas' work on it. Kudos Wedge, I love reading your ideas here. Definitely food for thought.

However, I think that my view of the film ultimately has to be heavily colored by how much I actually enjoyed watching it... and sadly it just wasn't that much. No matter how cleverly the script was constructed or how brilliant the allegory was, it ends up falling a bit flat if you can't stand to watch the actors performing the lines, or if you can't stay awake through the entire 12 hour pod race sequence. In some ways I consider TPM a bit of a minor tragedy, because the underlying story is actually such a good one. I find it unfortunate that Lucas didn't have a Lawrence Kasdan around to punch up his screenplay or an Irvin Kershner to get something more out of the actors. With better performances and less focus on the CGI elements, I think the film really could have been something special. Unfortunately, it ended up instead as one of only two SW films where I actually have to skip certain scenes in order to get through a viewing. The story Lucas wanted to tell seems like it really was a worthy one, but his efforts were severely undercut by some of the most wooden acting I've ever seen, and- in the case of the Gungans and Anakin- some pretty flat characterization that left me feeling absolutely no emotional attachment to either, which makes the whole venture a much harder sell. Jake Lloyd's performance forces me to dislike Anakin's character at a point in the films when he's supposed to be at his most likable, and Jar Jar and the Gungans are such overt cartoon caricatures that I can't help being embarrassed for them every time they're on screen.

Having grown with the original films, it's possible that I just have a bias that I can't overcome- but it really does feel to me like the potential that was inherent in TPM from its inception was just not cultivated or capitalized on in a way that could be made real for audiences. As a result, the film received a fairly negative reception from a lot of quarters, probably from a lot of people who- like myself-  sensed the film's unrealized potential, and lamented its unsatisfying final cut.

But, I know a lot of people really do love the film as well, so... horses for courses.  :)
He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher.

Offline Lucien Kane

• Master Force User
    • youtube channel
« Reply #166 on: July 04, 2012, 01:05:49 PM »
I think people were expecting the originals... and that clouded their ability to enjoy the films.

Wedge nailed it as many others have said. Lucas isn't an idiot, he does things for a reason, the film is made a certain way for a reason. It's not like this is Lucas' first rodeo, he has a certain audience he's playing to, and he's playing to them quite well. Even older fans are die hard enough that they'll pay to see his movies.

While I don't always agree with what Lucas does and doesn't do in his films, you have to respect the man for being awesome enough to make Star Wars.

Anyways, I rated the movie at an 8/10

The plot and storyline was amazing, and tied in well with the rest of the saga. The fight scenes were done quite well in my opinion, I get the feeling I'm watching the Jedi at there prime.

The bad? At some points the acting can fall flat, though Liam Neeson and Ewan Mcgregor brought their A games. Even so Natalie Portman didn't do a horrible job, and I actually enjoyed Jake Lloyd's performance as a young Anakin. It felt very natural to me, but art is subjective so.

So all in all, minus a few raw areas the movie overall was good, and I always enjoy watching it.
\"A lightsaber - any weapon - only achieves worth in how it is wielded - in the effort, the struggle of one who holds it.

Offline Psab Keel

• Master Force User
« Reply #167 on: July 07, 2012, 04:51:13 PM »
I think Lucas cast the films brilliantly.  I think the design of the film and the effects were really unique and impressive.  The musical score was (as it was with ALL of the prequels) exceptional!  The script?  Not so much.  The acting?  Not so much.  Because even brilliant actors can't save a bad script.  I didn't relate to any of the characters, and because of that I consequently didn't care about them, which ultimately makes their struggles meaningless to me, and that has to do with the script.  Not the actors.  

If a film is good it has to be able to stand on it's own.  If it can't, then it's not a good film.  I don't dislike the prequels to be argumentative or just because that's what the general consensus is.  And just because I grew up loving the originals, doesn't mean that they are perfect films by any stretch of the imagination.  They have flaws just like any other film.  I just think it's a shame that there was so much potential in those new films that could have been given a chance to shine if only he'd developed the scripts further.

Plus it's VERY clear who his intended audience is.  When interviewed in 1977 and on he was asked again and again who he made the film for and his response was young people, as a way to inspire them.  When asked the same question in 1999 and on his response was that he made the films for himself, and everyone else be damned.  That's a HUGE shift wouldn't you all agree?

He's not the same film maker he was back then.  Then he was a rebel filmmaker trying to buck the system and now he IS the system.  He has companies with thousands of employees relying on a paycheck, and that is fine, but it's just a shame that he wasn't humble enough to take any constructive criticism.  That's how artist's grow. 
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 01:18:35 AM by Psab Keel »

Offline WEDGE ANTILLES

• formerly known as Cobalt60
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • May the LAG be with you
« Reply #168 on: July 09, 2012, 01:41:32 AM »
thats the thing.   he made the PT's for himself.     he's a gourmet chef, who cooks for himself.   a diva, who sings in the shower.   the thought is so foreign to us, that we can't even form this thought in our minds, even when he constantly reminds us:" they're MINE! Mine I tells ya! nobody else's.   they're MINE!!!"

a guy like speilberg is always saying things like:  "wow. his is sooo cool.  the audience will LOVE this"...   but the very idea,  that a film maker would NOT make films for his audience, is so completely baffling to us, that we just don't get it.    GL made the PT's for HIMSELF.  not his audience (!?)

and tht's why they suck so hard. (read: like a hoover).  

geroge has such a loathing contempt for the people who made him rich watch his movies, that he honestly doesn't give a frak if anybody likes it, but HIM.

they're "HIS mooovees" afterall (not "the audience's" -- not like a spielberg film, that is actually made FOR the audience who watches it).

His Movies aren't intended for us: they're just intended to give Him something to do. they only exist for His sake alone.

--> most film makers make movies FOR the audience. but not george. he's too into "self-stimulation" (so to speak).

(jedi master "Bates", much?).  :-\  heh
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 01:43:08 AM by WEDGE ANTILLES »
"The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story.
Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned, and Luke doesn't get married..."
- George Lucas

Offline Psab Keel

• Master Force User
« Reply #169 on: July 09, 2012, 08:19:59 PM »
I'd agree that a director clearly has to be passionate about the films they make.  Why make movies otherwise?  Heck, why do anything creative if you're not passionate about it?

I don't know.  I keep telling myself that I won't get into debates about these films, but I can't help myself.  I guess it's the writer in me that just sees what could have been.  I just think that George's need for total control was his downfall as an artist.  By not relenting control or at the least trusting that the people he hired to help him make his movies could contribute greatly to produce the best work, it enabled him to believe that his choices shouldn't be questioned.

I talked with an ILM employee at San Diego ComicCon last year (who was a really friendly and personable guy) and it was amazing how strikingly his responses to my questions were about all of the changes to the films.  They were nearly verbatim of what every employee says in the behind the scenes materials on the DVD's.  I can understand that it was likely a matter of job security and that there was territory that they feared to tread (as would I if I was employed there) but given his response it made me wonder if that's what his actual opinion was or if it was the response that he was told to give if asked.  Or if his response was George's reasoning for certain creative choices, and he was merely telling me Lucas' opinion and not his own.

Offline KingOfDathomir

• Master Force User
  • Call me... Old Master
« Reply #170 on: January 29, 2013, 11:56:02 PM »
I gave TPM an 8 because I thought it had some great moments that definitely saved it in light of the lil orphan Ani parts. Still get chills everytime I see the Theed hangar doors open and Duel of the Fates begins with its epic introductory notes. People just need to get over Jar Jar because the story needed a dope for Palps to get the final vote for the Emergency Powers Act to pass the senate and come into affect in the sequel.

Korbanth Sid
Korbanth MW3
Korbanth DM1 v2014
RomanProps Inception Elite
MR 2005 Anakin ROTS LE
Korbanth Duke
HFFX ANH Darth Vader
SF Luke ROTJ Hero
Korbanth Crossguard
Korbanth Graflex v2.0 (Finn-flex)
AHS w/ Crystal Shard v1
Pachstore Shadowblade (SWR Darksaber)
VyleOne TCW Asajj Ventress (3-D printed, 1:1)
VyleOne TCW Pre-Viszla Darksaber (3-D printed, 1:1)
KR Sabers Kenobi ROTS

Offline bombarta

• Master Force User
  • Impressive..... most Impressive!
« Reply #171 on: February 06, 2013, 12:36:21 PM »
gave it a 7, best of the pre's for me.

acting got a little better, saber fights galore, yoda vs palpatine and haiden getting his bits all chopped off and deep fried hahaha
I don't know, i gotta bad feeling about this!

Offline mostwanted

• Padawan Learner
  • I might reply late, I need my sleep ;-P
« Reply #172 on: October 15, 2013, 09:27:14 AM »
I gave it a 10 :short answer lol :D: because despite the so called flaws and original sequel fanboy rants, the droid army was epic,qui gon jinn and young obi won where the perfect "good guy team" Jedi,the music was epic,the Darth maul battle was epic, the prequels made so many more thing's epic and if you say this movie was dull or lacking its because the galaxy was at its prime,not in a harsh imperial rule   

the only real difference between the prequel and the original was the atmosphere.

who cares about jar jar(Just because you have the ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent,set him up perfectly), since i was a kid at the time,light humor and comedy was 100% welcome and made it good alternative than the lacking atmosphere of the original
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 10:02:14 AM by mostwanted »
Sold - Quigon jinn Lightsaber

Sold -Korbanth Duke

Offline DarkJediKnight

• Master Force User
  • InUmbrisPotestasEst--In the shadows there is power
« Reply #173 on: October 15, 2013, 09:44:09 AM »
I definitely like TPM. Not my favorite movie but I thought it was good though. I loved Qui-Gon(have his saber). Jar-Jar was the only downer in this movie. You get to see a young Obi Wan along with the infamous Darth Vader as a child....makes for a good backstory.  :D
MR Darth Vader ESB(stock)
MR Darth Vader ESB(converted PC2)                                  
MR Anakin AOTC "Darkside version"(converted CF5)
Yoda Replica Graflex V(CF4)
MR Anakin AOTC(converted PC3)
Hasbro Anakin ROTS(converted PC2)
Parks Replica Graflex ESB/TFA w/glass eye(CF5)

Offline Asoka Tano

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #174 on: October 15, 2013, 10:59:35 AM »
The phantom Menacewas my favorite of all the star wars movies, with revenge of the sith coming in as a close second favorite. I know there are a lot of people who don't like the prequels, but I find them much more intriguing than the Original Trilogy. IMO, better fights, better romance, better plot. Padme is a great character!
VV Kanan Jarrus ("Dume")
VV Obi Wan CW ("Negotiator")
VV Sith Acolyte

Offline Mortoff

• Padawan Learner
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #175 on: October 15, 2013, 11:19:09 AM »

As a standalone movie, I'd likely give it a six or a seven (a rated it a '7' here).  As it was essentially setting up characters and plot, it was really just the beginning of the story.

Looking at it in that respect, I'd give it an '8.'

Offline Darth Maledictus

• No Force
  • Saber Staves rule
« Reply #176 on: October 16, 2013, 07:54:06 AM »
TPM is the best movie of the PT imo. That does not mean that I think it's the best movie overall. The only issues I had with the movie were with Anakin and Jar Jar. The little twerp that played Anakin was not a good actor, and Jar Jar annoyed me to the point where he wasn't even funny to me. I give it a 7.

Offline Katarn KL

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #177 on: October 02, 2016, 08:10:03 AM »
It's a very complicated issue. On a plot level, it has quite a few awful moments but on a visual sense, there are very few movies as bold and distinctively looking. It's part of my theory that the prequels are a visual experience but not a narrative one in the traditional sense.

retrousse