fiduciary

Author Topic: Aayla's Mace Windu ROTS FFX Review  (Read 11291 times)

Offline AAYLA SECURA

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
Aayla's Mace Windu ROTS FFX Review
« on: December 11, 2005, 08:18:47 PM »
Purple. Not everyone's favorite color... right? No. It was Sam Jackson's favorite color. Had he preferred blue, or had GL not agreed to create a purple lightsaber just for the character of Mace Windu, chances are that this lightsaber may have never been made. At least not with a purple blade. ;)

By the time that I owned an Anakin ROTS, Vader ESB, and Luke ROTJ, I was ready to call it quits. I didn't need that older generation Mace Windu with the blotchy looking blade and blue LEDs with a red tube around them or whatever it was. Right? Right. It just so happened that I was at North Star Mall at the right time, as Gamestop had this lightsaber that I had never before seen in person. I was surely surprised. But after holding the lightsaber and igniting it, I decided I should stick to my plan and not buy it. After all, I didn't want it, right? Yes! Of course I wanted it. It was the only color lightsaber that my collection didn't have. So after much debating with myself, I called my mom and asked her what she thought. Should I or shouldn't I? She suggested that since it wasn't as common of a lightsaber as some of the others that the best thing to do might be to buy it. This of course, was the kind of advice I like hearing from my mom. ;) So... I bought it. My collection was now complete with the fourth and final lightsaber color in the Star Wars movies. I was the proud owner of the Mace Windu, ROTS lightsaber.  ;D

The hilt on this lightsaber is simply gorgeous. One look at it, and it's probably the most impressive lightsaber hilt on any of the FX sabers. At least to those who don't know them too well. I simply love the uniqueness that was given to this handle... the gold plating really adds something to it that it wouldn't otherwise have. In addition, the rubber grips are very comfortable on the hands. They're soft, and not of a hard plastic like the Anakin ROTS or Vader ESB. While I'm not particularly fond of where the ignition button was placed, it's not really that bad. Overall this is the heaviest FX hilt that I own, which makes it harder to swing around. However, this is one of the better sabers for two-handed dueling because of the way the hilt was designed... in two parts almost. I have heard cases of the gold rubbing off on this hilt, but I have yet to experience it for myself. I try not to touch the gold parts, or I wear gloves when possible so that this does not occur. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/Vickyrose85/000_1153.jpg

The blade that the Mace saber features is rather sturdy. It doesn't move around as the Anakin and Luke ESB sabers do when swung. This makes it extra nice for swinging. Since the saber was made without purple LEDs, MR compensated by using blue LEDs and a red tubing of some sort, I believe. This of course causes the brightness of the Mace saber to be less than that of the other sabers. The color shows up as a lavender color rather than a solid purple. It's pleasing to the eyes, but clearly not the purple that we see in AOTC or ROTS. :-\ I have found that the blade has appeared a bit more purple to me over time, but that's probably because I've seen it more than a few times. The consistency in this blade is pretty good overall, in comparison to some pictures I've seen on the net.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/Vickyrose85/000_1155.jpg

The sound on the Mace FFX isn't as loud as the Anakin ROTS or Luke ROTJ. It's about the same as the Vader ESB, and about twice as loud as the Luke ESB. I was a bit put off that the recording on the idle hum has an obvious skip to it where the hum starts over in two different areas. I've gotten used to it over time, but I can't help but notice it every time the saber is on. Sometimes it's hard to distinguish the idle hum from the swinging sounds, since the sounds on this saber are quite rough and a bit scratchy in sound. I believe that the motion sensor in the Mace ROTS is the most sensitive of any of the FX sabers. The slightest movement of the blade causes a swinging sound. The battle clashes are nice, and pretty much the same as they are on any of the other sabers except the Vader ESB. :)

A comparison of the Mace ROTS (right) and Anakin ROTS (left)... just because.  :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/Vickyrose85/000_1007.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/Vickyrose85/000_1008.jpg

All in all, I am not as impressed with the Mace Windu ROTS lightsaber as I am with any of the other ones that I own. The wow factor just isn't there for me in that same way. For this reason, it is usually the last lightsaber I'll pick up to enjoy. That's not to say I don't like it, of course. I do enjoy it, as it has an incredibly awesome hilt, and it is an FX saber, regardless of its shortcomings. The Mace ROTS would be one of the last FFX lightsabers that I'd recommend to someone who is looking into purchasing one. ;) As mentioned, the Anakin ROTS, Vader ESB, and Luke ROTJ re-issue are better all-around sabers than this one is. 

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/Vickyrose85/Mace.jpg

Tomorrow night... my final review, the Luke Skywalker ESB FFX. :)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 08:13:16 PM by Aayla Secura »
Hasbro Signature Series
Luke Skywalker ANH with Removable Blade
Obi-Wan Kenobi ROTS with Removable Blade
Darth Maul TPM with Removable Blade
Kit Fisto AOTC with Removable Blade
Luke Skywalker ROTJ

Offline darthmaddy

• formerly known as Darth Malak
  • Master Force User
  • BATMAUL
Re: My Mace Windu ROTS FFX Review
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005, 08:25:57 PM »
Great review, once again.  I wish my mom was as cool about these as mine...She actually encourages you to but them!  You're very lucky :)
I'm not wearing hockey pads.

Offline jack3auer

• Do or Do Not there is No Try
  • Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 02:11:19 AM »
yes great review once again aayla.

I agree with your comments, and the reason you bought yours was exactly the same reason i bought mine :D

i find that if my eyes are accustomed to the darkness i.e. about fifteen minutes in a dark place, without playing with sabers, the purple stands out much better than if you just switch it on and look at it for a moment.

great review

thanks

han

Offline Hamill82

• under review
  • Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005, 03:54:24 PM »
Once again a great review Vicky and I really loved reading it. I look forward in Luke ESB review. One thing about the Mace AOTC and ROTS comparison. I have the AOTC version and it seems to be just the same color as yours plus there's no blotchy blade. I must be one of the lucky ones to get good blade I think. The thing that most displeases me is the quiet sounds of AOTC. By the way, does your Mace ROTS have tight battery holder. For me it takes some sweat to remove the batteries. This may be because of the battery type I use... I gotta test...

Offline Darthirishman

• Master Force User
  • They used to call me Sifo-Dyas
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2005, 04:01:17 PM »
Nice review my young padawan, but I disagree with you on one thing, the Mace did produce a wooo factor for me, the color is just right, I dont see any blotches but you do see the LEDS going up the blade like in the Vader ESB but I think that is due to the fact that you need to combine two color to make one, like in red
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.  Then go find the person who has vodka and have a party

Offline Hamill82

• under review
  • Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2005, 04:08:30 PM »
I had the wow factor when I saw the hilt for the first time. I think I stared at it like 10 minutes without blinking my eyes, heh :D, well perhaps I little exaggerated, but anyway it's a beautiful hilt.  ;)

Offline skizzoid

• Formerly known as skizzoid
  • Master Force User
  • At last, we shall reveal ourselves to the Jedi...
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2005, 11:19:56 PM »
By the way, does your Mace ROTS have tight battery holder. For me it takes some sweat to remove the batteries. This may be because of the battery type I use... I gotta test...

My Mace AOTC (old style box) has a pretty loose battery cover, but my ROTS has a pretty tight battery cover.  It takes a good amount of energy just to unscrew it (which has only helped strengthen my resolve in leaving it in its box) while my AOTC cover comes right off rather effortlessly.  Not sure if this is what you meant, or the battery cartridge itself.

And Aayla, great review, as always!  However, I love my Mace and its (sometimes) purple blade.  Of course, that might have something to do with purple being my favorite color or the Mace being my first saber.
Master Replicas Force FX Collection:
2004 Mace AOTC
2004 Luke ESB (in pieces)
2004 Luke ESB
2005 Luke ROTJ
2005 Mace ROTS

Offline AAYLA SECURA

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2005, 12:12:29 AM »
Thank you everyone. :)

Hamill... my saber doesn't have a particularly tight battery cartridge. Like Maul said about his, the endcap is a bit tight. Not so much as the Luke ESB that I have, though.
Hasbro Signature Series
Luke Skywalker ROTJ

Offline Dark Skywalker

• formerly known as Dark Skywalker
  • Master Force User
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2006, 04:40:40 PM »
Is that good or bad?

Nothing Is Impossible

Nhoj-pas Anner

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2006, 05:56:46 PM »
i have to agree on the hilt part of the saber. it is very stylish!
you can tell SLJ had it custom made just for him. :P

Offline Shadowlynx

• Master Force User
  • Darkness has Fallen
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2006, 08:15:49 PM »
The Mace Windu is the easiest for dueling and it's great for the kids most of all. My Mace is special since it was given to me converted but still I never did liked it until now. Great review Aayla

Offline jack3auer

• Do or Do Not there is No Try
  • Master Force User
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2006, 03:32:17 AM »
The Mace Windu is the easiest for dueling and it's great for the kids most of all. My Mace is special since it was given to me converted but still I never did liked it until now. Great review Aayla
???

i find that the mace has a problem for dueling in that its very easy to switch it off accidentaly.  also its incredibly heavy, so doesnot suit young-ones.

Offline AAYLA SECURA

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2006, 10:11:19 AM »
My topic is still alive? Right on!  :D

I've actually never dueled with the Mace saber... I'd like to try some light dueling, but I don't know how it'd hold up. I mean I'm sure it'd be fine and all, but I tend to stick to my spare Anakin and Maul sabers for that. ;)
Hasbro Signature Series
Luke Skywalker ROTJ

Offline Jedi Ollie

• Force User
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2006, 12:02:22 PM »
Aayla, you are amazing. Everytime you write a review, you make me want the saber. Your writing is truly fantastic, and ever so informative. Keep up the wicked sick good work. ;)

I'm definately going to get the Mace saber after reading this review.

- Jedi Ollie

Offline AAYLA SECURA

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2006, 11:36:37 AM »
Why thank you! I'm humbled.  :)
Hasbro Signature Series