fiduciary

Author Topic: Long Blade vs Short Blade l  (Read 21990 times)

Offline Axel_Risen

• No Force
Re: Long Blade vs Short Blade l
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2010, 04:19:40 AM »
I haven't actually duelled with a lightsaber, but I have done some boffer sword fighting. I'm more of a short-sword and shield type guy, but I sometimes use two short-swords. Also, I'm a bit partial to having a longer hilt,  because it feels more natural when I use it. Since my style is quick strikes and thrusts, the longer hilt really gives me that extra length to use. When I use two short-swords,I dance around alot and do brief charges, but I still end up using fast blows and jabs.

So I guess short blades with a shorter hilt, and a long blade with a longer hilt!

Offline djobitwan7

• Master Force User
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2010, 07:53:30 AM »
Hmmmm...I didn't have amethod. I just bought 3-4 different lengths and whatever feels good at the time is what I use. Almost all feel pretty balanced though.

As for where the scorch marks in the Jedi Temple...well, there wouldn't be. The younglings used blades that would not cut skin, much less floors and walls and did this all the way up 'til they were chosen. I remember Obi-Wan dueling with his peers and when hit, it would sting the person, but not cut them. I imagine the padawans and Master just have good control and the temple was very, very lucky to not have mock battle scars.

Offline Lord Ian

• Force User
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2010, 06:17:17 PM »
I'm 6'4" - 6'5". Give me and 18 inch hilt and a 30 inch blade and I'll be grinning ALL day. But thats just me...
Darth Eternus, Dark Lord of the Sith.

Offline Apprentice Nova

• No Force
  • Scum and villainy?...Let us waste no time!
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2014, 10:06:01 PM »
Oooooh length questions. I am certainly not an expert on lightsabers ( or any other sword for that matter ) but It would probably depend on not only personal preference but style of sword technique that was used. I was taught in the Chinese styles ( what little I learned ) that the blade length was measured by holding your arm out parallel to your shoulder ( like a capitol letter T) and measuring from the heel of your palm to the center of your chest. This measurement is also close to your in seam length ( of your pants that is ). The Japanese method has already been mentioned. The only other sword style I have any experience in is European/ SCA style fencing and historically speaking the rapier went through many length changes from ridiculously long to the shorter ( and later period ) small swords of the 1800's. With the limited experience I've had handling my own lightsaber I guess it would depend on where the balance point is in relation to how you handle/spin your blade.

Offline Iamhomostellaris

• Force User
  • No pain, no toast.
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2014, 04:18:39 AM »
Wow a 6 years old topic! Well on the web time does'nt matter imho.
for me:  29cm hilt, 90cm blade lenght.
We are all looking at the stars, we are Homo-sapiens-Stellaris.
when I see other's sabers I might think they have build them like a Tardis, bigger inside than oustide. Unlike mines huhu.

retrousse