fiduciary

Author Topic: Combative JAR-KAI Tutorial  (Read 2856 times)

Offline Caine

• Kwai Chang Caine master of duel-fu
  • Master Force User
Combative JAR-KAI Tutorial
« on: February 05, 2016, 09:20:54 PM »
Well, after many months of toying with this idea, and finally getting motivated to bring it to life, here is Part 1 of my Combative Jar-Kai tutorial.

For years, people did their interpretation of Jar-Kai as nothing more than a bunch of spins and flourishes. While those have their place in the hobby and saberplay, they are far from combative and nothing more than fluff.

Jar Kai needs to be aggressive. If you are wielding 2 sabers, it needs to be an aggressive fighting style. My goal is to take Jar-Kai and give it a nice kick in the teeth.

For you newer folks, I was the first to ever form a complete tutorial system on all 7 Forms (and beyond) of Lightsaber Combat. Nowadays, you see a lot of different people's interpretations of the 7 Forms, but when I started back in 2007, there was literally next to nothing. I hope I can be seen as one that helped change all that.

More parts of the form to be posted in the coming weeks.

[/youtube]

Offline Greywolf

• Force User
Re: Combative JAR-KAI Tutorial
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 12:13:10 PM »
Well done, thank you :azn:
Life is but a series of missed opportunities.

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 11:16:13 PM »
An excellent evolution of your previous outstanding work.

I particularly like the use of reverse grip and saber-and-shoto. I admit that personally I always thought of using two 'matched' shorter blade sabers [eg 28-30" blade clan hilts] rather than one regular length and one shoto saber but I can certainly see why saber-and-shoto would be appropriate for Jar-Kai and I guess there is no reason one couldn't adapt your Jar Kai form to matched-blade-length pairs of sabers as well, whether long, short or in between? 

I really like the defensive coverage this form provides. It does indeed seem more "combative" oriented than some 'forms' that others have produced over the years. I think I'll be practicing this one a LOT and look forward to seeing more of it - exceptionally well done once again Master Caine. BRAVO +++
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline Caine

• Kwai Chang Caine master of duel-fu
  • Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 08:24:46 AM »
An excellent evolution of your previous outstanding work.

I particularly like the use of reverse grip and saber-and-shoto. I admit that personally I always thought of using two 'matched' shorter blade sabers [eg 28-30" blade clan hilts] rather than one regular length and one shoto saber but I can certainly see why saber-and-shoto would be appropriate for Jar-Kai and I guess there is no reason one couldn't adapt your Jar Kai form to matched-blade-length pairs of sabers as well, whether long, short or in between? 

I really like the defensive coverage this form provides. It does indeed seem more "combative" oriented than some 'forms' that others have produced over the years. I think I'll be practicing this one a LOT and look forward to seeing more of it - exceptionally well done once again Master Caine. BRAVO +++

Thanks, man. Actually, I meant to film a small intro explaining that in true Jar-Kai, that blade lengths don't truly matter. Long & short, long & long, short & short...it's all dual wielding. The only thing that needs to be adjusted it is the techniques due to the distances.

Bear in mind this is just the intro and first few moves. Sections 2-4 will see much more combative strikes.

retrousse