fiduciary

Author Topic: Open-force alliance?  (Read 4489 times)

Offline erv

• Plecter Labs Inc. "Keeper of the Buttered Toast"
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Irvin PLECTER
    • Plecter Labs - Props Electronics
Re: Open-force alliance?
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2016, 11:23:40 AM »
if you read my wording above correctly, I didn't mean or say that *you* were giving the finger, but open-source, and only as a super contextual sentence, not in general. The motivation of people is clearly to share in order to positively help.

I'm only saying that when (most) people will ask about availability of a so-called "product" (use quote, I don't mean any commercial stuff here, but actual instances of the dev. product), most people walk away stating that they aren't interested in doing that, which then results in even more frustration for the rest of the community who isn't going to do anything with the published info despite of their interest in the dev.

As for speed of development, and though I've been slowed down by production, I don't get paid to add features, and rarely begged. People just discuss and ask. That being said, I got recent requests that suggest or would require something more open, so that I don't have any stupid scripting language to implement just to provide more flexibility, so who knows...

Offline erv

• Plecter Labs Inc. "Keeper of the Buttered Toast"
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Irvin PLECTER
    • Plecter Labs - Props Electronics
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2016, 11:36:22 AM »
to echo your PM, PZ, there's no offense taken at any point. Open-source is a trendy topic and I'm glad to have it discussed. I'm only trying to bring other perspective as a technology (or call it "product" if some prefer to devilize me) provider.

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • May the source be with you.
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2016, 11:37:16 AM »
I'm only saying that when (most) people will ask about availability of a so-called "product" (use quote, I don't mean any commercial stuff here, but actual instances of the dev. product), most people walk away stating that they aren't interested in doing that, which then results in even more frustration for the rest of the community who isn't going to do anything with the published info despite of their interest in the dev.
Guess we're both talking a bit cross-purpose. :)

As for the "interest of the dev", I've long since learned to accept that if people like what I do, GREAT!, if not, well, I'm going to publish it anyways. I don't have any illusions about what people do with my stuff after I release it that hasn't been crushed a thousand times. I've been doing open-source since 1991, and most of the stuff I've published is just gathering dust in some forgotten corner of the internet.

However, every now and then when I introduce myself, someone thanks me for something I've written, which just makes my day!

retrousse