fiduciary

Author Topic: Proffie Low Power warning.  (Read 1306 times)

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
  • Very, Very English Poster
Proffie Low Power warning.
« on: October 26, 2020, 09:28:32 AM »
I've just finished my first proffieboard 2.2 build. I've followed the programming instructions as set out here Proffieboard V2 and here ProffieOS.

I've got the config set up to run an RGrB tri-cree, with a single button, and a single RGBW accent pixel. All the components are wired up using the default pads suggested by the Configurator, with the config file it generated copied and pasted over. Everything was compiled and uploaded without problems using the Arduino IDE 1.8.9 in Ubuntu 16:04.

So, I turned the saber on, there was a flash of blue from the LED, and it immediately turned itself off. I turn it back on, it makes a sparking sound, and mumbles LOW POWER. I checked the battery with my multimeter, 3.5V. Not that low for an 18650, but I might as well charge it. I do that. the battery is currently sitting at 4.18v. I turn it on, same story: a spark sound, and a low power warning.

Obviously, something is wrong, but as this is my first Proffieboard, I don't know what.
Better late than never.

Offline scott

• Experienced Force User
  • Oh, I don’t think so.
Re: Proffie Low Power warning.
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 06:23:28 PM »
After the first time, it gets really easy. Did you try the serial monitor and make sure debugging is on and see what errors you are getting?

Happy to help out....just that the background you have shared thus far doesn’t narrow down where to look further into.

Offline profezzorn

• Board Moderator
  • Master Force User
  • May the source be with you.
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 07:30:59 PM »
There are a couple of possibilities.
One is that the board is not measuring the voltage properly.
Another is that the battery is bad and the voltage sags when you turn on the saber.
A third one is a short somewhere in the LED wiring.

I would start by measuring the resistance from battery positive to each of the LED pads. If the resistance measures at less than half an ohm, you probably have a short somewhere.
Second would be to check the serial monitor (Tols->Serial Monitor in arduino) it should show you the battery voltage the board measures every few seconds. Compare with a multimeter, and if it's  off by my more than a few percent, you might have a problem with the board.
Bad batteries are harder to check, especially since the board won't stay on. What battery are you using?

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 04:37:40 AM »
Okay, I've measured the resistance at the positive pads. I'm getting a consistent reading of 1.5 ohms between the positive pin of my recharge port and every positive LED pad. I don't think I've got a short at hand.

I'm a little more concerned by the serial monitor output, though. It's consistently reading that my battery is between 1.4 and 1.9V, which is way off what my multimeter is reading, at 4.16v. the serial monitor is also reading that the battery voltage is increasing in small increments over a short amount of time- This time, it started at 1.79v, and over the course of writing this (10 min) has climbed to 1.86v.

The battery is an Emmerich 18650, purchased from Rapid Online in the UK Emmerich 233974 ICR-18650NQ-SP Lithium 3.7V 2600mAh Rechargeable Battery Pack It's the same kind of cell that I've used for my previous four sabers, and has so far proven more reliable than the cells I was buying from TCSS.

The saber itself works absolutely fine -I think, as this is my first proffie, I still don't know all the ins and outs of the system yet-when powered by USB. I've measured the voltage going through the recharge port when it (briefly) turns on and there's no major drop (currently at 4.15V)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 07:40:24 AM by SirRawThunderMan »
Better late than never.

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 07:52:43 AM »
Just for a quick sanity check, I've spent five minutes with my multimeter in continuity mode checking every exposed metal piece on my chassis from the battery ground and positive. If there's a short, it's not somewhere I can find. besides which, as I do on most of my my builds, I've anodised several parts of my chassis to make sure that any short should be exposed only to a non-conductive layer.
Better late than never.

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2020, 05:38:59 AM »
Fixed it. The error was on my side, I accidentally soldered the battery positive to the 5V pad. I changed it and now it works fine.

Although I feel like a right idiot.
Better late than never.

retrousse