fiduciary

Author Topic: Stardust V3 S.T.R.E.A.M core board connection issues.  (Read 1222 times)

Offline Data790

• No Force
  • I am about as much use as a chocolate fire guard!
Stardust V3 S.T.R.E.A.M core board connection issues.
« on: August 12, 2020, 05:08:16 AM »
Hi Folks,

So I have a couple of questions regarding the Stardust V3 stream. Firstly, i accidentally knocked off the onboard USB - but Jakesoft was very kind enough to suggest using the break out USB board (take this moment to apologies for using YouTube to reach out to him). So this I have done and tried to connect to STREAM. It doesn't find a COM port. I tried again using a USB2 on my older laptop - it can find the WT588D which is USB 2 specific. Failing this I tried to pull down the FS-SaberOS from Protonerd on github and see if I could use Arduino IDE to make a connection. This also failed to connect to the board.

So I guess my main question is if anyone has seen this before and how did they resolve the issue? I have followed the GitHub manual by Protonerd in regards to wiring, IDE set up and loading the libraries. The board still works fine and it boots up when i connect the USB. But that is as far as I seem to have got. I have tried using a virtual COM port, updating FTDI for the USB ports, and tried assigning a COM port to the device but these do not seem to have helped.

On a side note, I recently got into making my own hilt designs using the 3D printer. If anyone is interested I am more than happy to share the designs for folks to tinker with - free of course.

Sorry for the long intro, and if this has already been answered then my sincere apologies - I had a look but limited on time due to work commitments (yes, weekends appear to be work days also for me).

MTFBWY
Marc
Not that kind of a doctor!

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
Re: Stardust V3 S.T.R.E.A.M core board connection issues.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2020, 06:06:05 AM »
Can you share a photo of the board and USB breakout? Is there board powering up when you connect it?

If your computer detects the USB interface, it doesn't meter what software you use, the COM port should show up. The stardust uses a genuine FTDI chip, so detection should not be an issue. If it's not showing up something is physically wrong.

You could try swapping the USB signal wires as a simple next step if everything looks ok.

It's possible that a trace may have been damage if the port was torn off.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 07:02:09 AM by jbkuma »

Offline JakeSoft

• Experienced Force User
  • The Arduino Jedi
    • Universal Saber Library
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2020, 06:47:56 AM »
As JBKuma suggests, sometimes power but no COM port means the data lines are swapped to the USB breakout board. Try swapping the wires to see if that fixes the issue. Be very careful not to bridge them with a solder blob.

Offline Data790

• No Force
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 07:59:45 AM »
Can you share a photo of the board and USB breakout? Is there board powering up when you connect it?

If your computer detects the USB interface, it doesn't meter what software you use, the COM port should show up. The stardust uses a genuine FTDI chip, so detection should not be an issue. If it's not showing up something is physically wrong.

You could try swapping the USB signal wires as a simple next step if everything looks ok.

It's possible that a trace may have been damage if the port was torn off.

Hi, sorry for the delay, missus' birthday last night. I suspect I have damaged this. I include the board and usb breakout board. A friend suggested trying to reattach the on board usb. It kinda worked but didn't talk to the pc.

Thanks again guys for any suggestions.

Offline Data790

• No Force
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 10:24:31 AM »
As JBKuma suggests, sometimes power but no COM port means the data lines are swapped to the USB breakout board. Try swapping the wires to see if that fixes the issue. Be very careful not to bridge them with a solder blob.

Hi JakeSoft,

I had a crack swapping the wires to no avail. I tried using the ID instead of GND as suggested by a webpage and nothing really happened their either.

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2020, 12:43:26 PM »
the only wires that are required are GND USB+ USB- (as long as the device has power). I'm not sure how connetcting to ID would help, I do not recommend that.

it does look like one of the traces has been damaged, but I'm not sure that is related

The wire connections don't look to be soldered correctly.  the exposed wire is a bit long, but as long as nothing is touching that shouldn't be an issue.

Offline JakeSoft

• Experienced Force User
  • The Arduino Jedi
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2020, 08:26:09 PM »
According to the Stardust V3 manual (https://cdn.website-editor.net/0fa18f3248554d3c9afb7e969924abba/files/uploaded/DIYino_Stardust_v3_User_Manual_v1.pdf), the USB should be wired like this:

STARDUST       USB BREAKOUT

GND  ---------- GND
D+   ---------- D-
D-   ---------- D+
VBUS ---------- VBUS (or "+", or "POS", etc.However it's labeled on your breakout)

If you wired it that way and it doesn't work there may be some other problem. It's possible the board was damaged when the built-in USB tore off such that now one or both of the data lines is shorted.

Do you have the breakout board that the Stardust V3 shipped with? The one in your picture doesn't look like what I'm familiar with that came with mine. It's probably fine, but thought it worth asking.

Offline Data790

• No Force
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2020, 09:34:13 PM »
Hi Jakesoft,

Yeah, I have a few of the break out USB from the proto and stardust. I looked over them and was concerned my soldering skills would be no match for those lol. I suspect I have done something wrong. I have read the manual a few times and have no idea how I missed the usb wiring. I swapped the D wires as you said but it still had issues.

Offline JakeSoft

• Experienced Force User
  • The Arduino Jedi
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2020, 07:35:40 PM »
I hear you on the soldering things. I'm only moderately skilled myself and my equipment is certainly nothing to brag about either. With that said, I have successfully soldered the tinny USB breakouts that the StarDust boards shipped with.

Have you used the same USB breakout board that you have currently before with success? Do you have others you could try? I'm just trying to think of anything else it could be in the case that the board isn't too damaged to get you back up and running. If the board or the FTDI chip is in fact damaged I'm not sure there is much you can do. Andras/Obi_1 is the final word on that, though. I'm mainly the software guy.

Offline Data790

• No Force
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2020, 09:14:28 AM »
I managed to secure the break out USB the board came with but without any success. I guess I must have damaged the FTDI chip. Oh well, expensive mistake to make lol.

Offline Obi_1

• Board Moderator
  • Experienced Force User
  • Creator of DIYino - first open source FX-board
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2020, 01:08:33 PM »
Sorry to hear about your troubles! I think most of the debug ideas I collected after reading your initial post were already taken up by Jake or Jason.

My first idea was that maybe D+ and D- were swapped. But I read you already tried it in both directions without success.

First off, while snapping off the on-board USB most of the time should not have any adverse effect, it is still a physical damage to the board. So far all the boards I used lost their USB at one point in time (some even deliberately), a certain amount of luck is always involved if it works afterwards. Therefore please check the solder pads of the late USB port for any shorts, I usually check all 4 signals against all the other 3 After wards you can check that there is still a contact from the USB breakout signals (VBUS, GND, D+ and D-) to the solder pads of the broken off USB connector. The pin ID does not play a role here, you just need those 4 mentioned.

If you wire up an external USB breakout board - and it is not as difficult as it seems, plus you can always source a bigger one if you are concerned about them being too tiny, there are old-fashioned USB-A and even bigger USB-C breakout which should work as well) - I'm mildly ashamed too of the soldering station I'm using - please check the voltages afterwards. If you do not have a battery connected, VBUS must read 5V, the 5V pad shall read ~4.2V, which comes from the on-board USB charger. If a battery is connected, the 5V pad reads the battery voltage, it should not be under 3.5V as a rule of thumb.

Once you can supply these readings we can see what can be the next step.

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2020, 04:54:07 PM »
The solder joints are really bad and I have a hard time thinking it's anything that until that is fixed.

I recommend watching some YouTube videos if you need help.  bigclivedotcom has piles of videos taking apart and assembling all sorts of electronics.  Madcow/genesis custom sabers also has some helpful videos.  There's plenty others out there.

Offline Data790

• No Force
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2020, 12:01:50 PM »
Okay, so some news. I decided to swap around the D+ and D- on the new break out board - the one the boards come with and it recognises a port. This is new. alas, cannot get a handsake so will try on the old laptop with the USB 2.0 and see. failing that I can try just uploading the code via arduino from github (FXSaberOS).

So it seems Everything is now working. Guys thank you for your input and very kind comments. I hope this helps anyone else out there that has managed to break off the USB port like I did. Apologies if I didn't mention anyone or relpy direct, I have read your comments and took these notes on board.

Here's where the fun begins.

Offline Data790

• No Force
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2020, 12:14:52 PM »
To add, I thought the USB board the board came with was wired the same as my old break out board. turns out not or maybe it was I dunno. Anyway what you guys suggested works and now I have a handsake and all is balanced with the force. Also, this works with USB 3.0.

Again guys thank you so much.

Also, can someone point me to the a room where I can send a link to my hilt design 3d file? Just incase someone wanted to have a crack with it.

retrousse