fiduciary

Author Topic: JEDI FALLEN ORDER: What are your thoughts?  (Read 7281 times)

Offline EXAR KUN

• SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
JEDI FALLEN ORDER: What are your thoughts?
« on: November 19, 2019, 07:58:37 AM »

JEDI FALLEN ORDER is a game with the LIGHTSABER as a central feature. This game should appeal to everyone on the forum!

It's a single-player game. I think a lot of people will like that fact. This means you don't have to deal with people online who are way better and come along and kill you easily. You can just play along the story at your own pace and at your own difficulty level (I started as Jedi Knight).

I just started the game on PS4 but to be honest I don't have any free time so I don't know how far I'll get and how fast. But let me know what you think if you're playing the game!

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
  • Very, Very English Poster
Re: JEDI FALLEN ORDER: What are your thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2019, 08:08:35 AM »
My thoughts are: I'm not playing another EA game until a) I've heard reliable good things from at least six fellow gamers I trust, b) there's a sale on/pre-owned copy going cheap.
Better late than never.

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2019, 02:23:55 PM »
I pre-ordered it because pre-order gets ORANGE LIGHTSABER which is now Canon (yay! I have more orange lightsabers - 6 - than any other colour lol) and have to say Iwas not otherwise hopeful given EA's recent track record with  SW games...

...but I was wrong this game is tremendously FUN, especially the lightsaber combat. Maybe the best lightsaber combat since the Jedi Knight/Academy games waaaaay back.

What I esp like is it isnt just a 'button masher' like TFU but rather you need to pay close attention to controlling distance and timing of blocks, parry and strikes and coordinating lightsaber tactics with using Force powers to handle foes which makes you feel fully immersed in being a Jedi way more than most previous games. BRAVO for that!

Yes there are some day zero launch bugs but nothing game breaking and they'll be fixed by patches I'm sure.

And I'm not a platformer game fan so the 'Metroidvania' navigation/exploration system's verticality and jumping puzzles arent my favourite part of this game but ymmv eh? The progression system (no EA lootbox microtransaction shenanigans yay!), Dark-Souls-esque think-tactically-dont-just-go-berserk combat system and the characters/story 'fit' into SW continuity is fine...I like this game.

My only real complaint was the camera gets wonky sometimes and if that happens during combat or say wallrunning it can be very annoying (and 'fatal') but I expect they'll patch that fast, I hope.

Otherwise I'm very happy this game exceeded my expectations and would give the game two thumbs up.
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline Darth Chasm

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2019, 07:17:26 PM »
I pre-ordered it because pre-order gets ORANGE LIGHTSABER which is now Canon (yay! I have more orange lightsabers - 6 - than any other colour lol) and have to say Iwas not otherwise hopeful given EA's recent track record with  SW games...

...but I was wrong this game is tremendously FUN, especially the lightsaber combat. Maybe the best lightsaber combat since the Jedi Knight/Academy games waaaaay back.

What I esp like is it isnt just a 'button masher' like TFU but rather you need to pay close attention to controlling distance and timing of blocks, parry and strikes and coordinating lightsaber tactics with using Force powers to handle foes which makes you feel fully immersed in being a Jedi way more than most previous games. BRAVO for that!

Yes there are some day zero launch bugs but nothing game breaking and they'll be fixed by patches I'm sure.

And I'm not a platformer game fan so the 'Metroidvania' navigation/exploration system's verticality and jumping puzzles arent my favourite part of this game but ymmv eh? The progression system (no EA lootbox microtransaction shenanigans yay!), Dark-Souls-esque think-tactically-dont-just-go-berserk combat system and the characters/story 'fit' into SW continuity is fine...I like this game.

My only real complaint was the camera gets wonky sometimes and if that happens during combat or say wallrunning it can be very annoying (and 'fatal') but I expect they'll patch that fast, I hope.

Otherwise I'm very happy this game exceeded my expectations and would give the game two thumbs up.

Exactly ditto

Offline RyDiddy

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2019, 12:56:28 AM »
I just finished Kashyyyk and so far I really like the game.  The main character, villains, and story are great. 

Offline EXAR KUN

• SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2019, 10:31:09 AM »
Thanks for leaving your thoughts everyone I'm glad you guys feel positive about the game. I really like it. Here's my review of it:

JEDI FALLEN ORDER ? LIGHTSABER FANS YOUR GAME HAS ARRIVED! - YouTube

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2019, 12:48:28 PM »
Great review...yeah the lightsaber crafting is pretty sweet and some of their parts inspire me to want to try similar ideas in future custom saber builds of my own, though I imagine some players might also try to build replicas of their favourite in-game versions. It certainly makes me want to build another orange saber next now that they are canon again. :)
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline ken

• Force User
  • in my experience there is no such thing as luck
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2019, 05:06:46 AM »
i loved it the game was amazing game play was really fun story was amazing and i love the characters and the voice acting in the game.... any starwars fan should play this one
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 05:09:06 AM by ken »
http://

Offline Jotun22

• No Force
  • You must do what you think is right, of course.
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2019, 09:24:42 AM »
So I've beaten the game twice now, first time I played through I started on Jedi Master and had to turn the dificulty down to Knight. Second time through I explored the entire game and unlocked every chest and secret this time on Jedi Master difficulty.

This game has a very reminiscent feel of Jedi Academy 2 and the combat was amazing! The visuals were vivid and lifelike and the overall story is fantastic. I probably will play through it again this time on Grand Master. I definitely love this game, it's a perfect combination of Prince of Persia/Uncharted, KOTOR and Jedi Academy 2, I really recommend this game to anyone regardless of EA's track record, you will not be disappointed. My son is also playing through and he beat the game as well, and he loves it so much that he started becoming interested in his lightsaber I got him 2 years ago.

:grin: :cheesy:
KR/OR QGJ - GGW NBv3
(In the Market for more)

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2020, 06:34:51 AM »
I completely forgot, I got and finished it the other week.

So, the best I can say is that it's fine, but it left me disapointed. Everything about it worked fine, level design was great, but it just completely failed to capture my attention in the way that previous Star Wars games have. Gameplay was fine, the story was okay, but significantly shorter than I expected.

The end came as a surprise, because I was expecting the story to transition to the next act rather than just stop so abruptly where it did. They set up this whole background story with the Zeffo, a civilisation of mighty Force users that fell to the Dark Side and vanished into the Unknown Regions, and then did nothing with it. Maybe it's because I spent my teenage years obsessively playing the mighty KOTOR, but from that setup, I expected at least some Rakata-style return of the Zeffo, and them being the real Big Bad, or something similar. Real missed opportunity, there, I think.

Also it would have been nice to go back to Bracca and jump around starship hulks. And maybe do some arena style combat in that asteroid they introduced and then immediately abandoned. more missed opportunities.

Other thoughts: I liked what they did with lightsabers, to a point. One the one hand, it is nice to know that TCSS and the Jedi order are thinking along similar lines of entirely modular lightsaber construction. On the other, it bugged me that once you get the saberstaff, you lose the single blade hilt for good. It also bugged me that Cal had his saber on training mode the whole time. At least the old Jedi Knight games had the occasional limb go flying off every now and then, whereas Cal can slice bugs in half sometimes, and one hand in a cutscene.

Also, a blaster would have been nice as a secondary weapon, for when you don't feel like waiting half an hour for Stormtroopers to reload their rockets. or when the bow and arrow nightbrothers just randomly stop firing and are just out of range of Force Pull.
Better late than never.

Offline Kolgrima

• Force User
  • Never tell me the odds!
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2020, 08:55:24 AM »
I finished the game about a week ago, I felt the story was fantastic at its core it was about Cal's journey and the understanding of the impact of your actions and how they affect others (which is a great moral).

Maybe it's because I'm a game developer my self but I found the production value of this game was through the roof, really top-notch visuals, acting, fx, and music/sound design. the story is a bit short compared to older games, however, the landscape of game production has changed, due to better and better graphics, which means more budget is spent on art; making most games these days generally shorter, For a game with this quality level I feel it's as long as it could have been. (that is to say, I feel like I got my money's worth).

I think I might be the only one who feels this way about the lightsaber crafting... but I was disappointed! and hear me out, the crafting was cool and worked really well, but it lacked any impact what so ever! This to me was the biggest missed opportunity in the game, and maybe I'm too stuck on KOTOR but all the different parts could have affected things like damage or blaster blocking success. In the end, I just wasn't motivated to collect more parts as they were purely cosmetic and you can barely see them most of the time. Once I had a saber I liked the look of I couldn't help but feel a bit disappointed; as by that time the game was pretty much done, and I had little opportunity to actually see it...

Don't get me wrong though, I loved this game! My son is now playing it too and also loves it overall I highly recommend it to any StarWars fan out there.

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2020, 10:17:20 AM »
maybe I'm too stuck on KOTOR

Never a bad thing.  :wink:
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 12:33:47 PM by SirRawThunderMan »
Better late than never.

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2020, 10:53:42 AM »
My main complaint is that I found the controls to be a bit sloppy and the mechanics were somewhat inconsistent.  There were several times in the game I got frustrated because I would hit a jump on a pipe or a vine, and graphically there would be an interaction, but the game wouldn't register it as successful.  There are also some scenery pieces that seem like a jump you should be able to make or a vine/rope/pipe/wall you should be able to interact with, but they are not interactive.

The game would be an explorer's dream if some of these things were more predictable, but I often found it took me out of the story as I got frustrated with these things.  I think if I knew you could continue exploring after the endgame sequence I might have just gotten to the end more quickly and save the exploring for after the ending.  Since the ending is heavily scripted it, somewhat disappointingly, doesn't really matter how much you've developed your character.  Since the game is fairly short and there isn't a lot of variety in the battles, there isn't a lot of opportunity to make the most of all of your skills.

Zeffo is the best part of the game to me.  The world is so immense and varied that it adds a lot of depth to the game. Bogano was surprisingly rewarding for being relatively small compared to the other worlds.  On the other hand there are several segments of the game that are very linear and uninteresting but pointlessly time consuming, such as long tunnels that you squeeze through and the long swimming sequence to open the end game world.

Overall I give it a 3/5.  A lot of it looked nice, and the story is interesting, but the frustrating portions of the game kept taking me out of the story and out of the world.

Offline Starwinder

• Master Force User
  • I don't like sand...
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2020, 07:30:14 AM »
I was really looking forward to this game and bought it on release day, which ended up being a huge mistake due to all the bugs that were still left in the game.  At one point I got caught in an endless loop of falling through the pathway to my repeated death; another time I found a secret area off the beaten path, only to find that I couldn't leave it because I didn't yet have the story-related Force power necessary to get out, which is frustrating for a game the seems like it should reward you for exploring.  And sometimes when respawning at checkpoints, enemy sprites float in zombie-like from nowhere, which is actually pretty hilarious to watch.  I don't know if anyone else experienced similar hiccups - hopefully they've all been patched by now.

The game is very exploration-heavy, which is fine.  Lots and lots (and LOTS) of vine-swinging, platform-hopping, wall-running, and fighting off the local flora and fauna more than anything else.  The planets you travel to are fine, but I couldn't help but feel they were a bit lackluster compared to what the Star Wars universe is capable of. 

The combat was just difficult for me to get into.  The game wants you to follow a parry-counter attack method similar to Assassins Creed, but this is frustrating to pull off when 3 stormtroopers are beating your head in, 2 are shooting at you, and another in the distance is firing rockets at you, all while an overgrown lizard is chomping your backside.  I appreciated that the game was trying to be different from the over-the-top-action-heavy TFU, but I felt like every little fight was unnecessarily long and drawn-out.  Also, you lose Force energy in fights so quickly and for no apparent reason.  I’d always be in a boss battle and ready to unleash a nasty Force-powered attack when a rare opening came, only to find that I couldn’t because the Force had somehow left me. 

Story-wise, I was intrigued by the premise of Cal being a Padawan-in-hiding/on-the-run (the trailers emphasize this heavily), but after an emotional and action-packed prologue chapter, this story element gets dropped pretty quickly, and then the plot turns to Cal needing to find clues to access a Holocron that will help rebuild the Jedi Order, which didn't make a whole lot of logical sense to me or feel very compelling.

This is a more minor thing, but similar to what Kolgrima said, the lightsaber crafting was cool, but also disappointing that it had no game effect whatsoever (as opposed to what we've seen in KOTOR or TFU).  Similarly, the costumes you can find are nothing more than palette swaps of what you're already wearing ... or you can put on a (gasp!) poncho, which for a graphics-heavy game felt like a missed opportunity or maybe just programming laziness.

After finishing the game a week into having it, I haven't felt any urge to come back to it.  There's no real incentive to start the game over (unless you really want to find every lightsaber part and 'outfit' for the heck of it) - there aren't any post-game rewards or alternate paths/stories or different Dark Side/Light Side endings to unlock.  I enjoyed the game well enough, but there were too many disappointments and frustrations for me to favorably compare it to past SW game greats like KOTOR and TFU.  I think at the end of the day, this type of game just wasn't my proverbial cup of tea.   

retrousse