fiduciary

Author Topic: OCS (Open Chassis System)  (Read 4705 times)

Offline Kolgrima

• Force User
  • Never tell me the odds!
OCS (Open Chassis System)
« on: May 18, 2019, 10:58:45 PM »
Hello, folks just wanted to share something I've been working on for a bit. OCS is An Open Source Modular Chassis System. it's still in the early stages and is very much a work in progress, It was designed for use with a Brewboard but it could be easily tweaked for any board, I'm still working on documentation and probably a video tutorial on the best ways to print and set up the chassis.

I designed OCS to be flexible in that it is not only Modular but is also Parametric. This allows you to change the OD For example, of a part just by typing in the size you want. There are several parameters you can adjust on each part. OCS was also designed to be accessible and therefore can be printed with a standard FDM printer.

All source files are available with the intention that others can make and share parts based on the originals. I will personally also be adding more parts in the near future.

You can find all the files here;
Open Chassis System by Kolgrima - Thingiverse

And here are some pics

« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 11:01:41 PM by Kolgrima »

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
Re: OCS (Open Chassis System)
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 07:10:32 AM »
Great work, thanks for sharing!

Offline Kolgrima

• Force User
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 07:44:18 PM »
Added some new parts to OCS, and made some improvements to the source files!
Hopefully, some folks may find them useful.

Offline wargod

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 04:30:34 PM »
Any plans to include a crystal chamber in the future?

Offline Kolgrima

• Force User
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 05:18:27 PM »
Any plans to include a crystal chamber in the future?

I may give it a try. FDM printers are not known for their great detail so any design would have to cope with that. I did do a Hybrid Brass and 3d printed Chamber but in the end, wasn't really happy with the printed parts. I may rework those parts but an all 3d printed chamber has crossed my mind.

Offline wargod

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 09:39:58 PM »
I won't be able to get to my friend's house that has a 3D printer and make these for some time.  I'd be interested in purchasing those 3d printed parts that you have in the video above if they will fit an 18650 Battery, Switchcraft 2.1mm Power Jack, 2W 28mm 4ohm OD Bass Speaker, proffie board, and 4-40 threaded rods. They would need to be the diameter for a graflexshop 1.9 / original graflex.  Can you message me on this?

Offline benvader

• No Force
  • benvader.com - 501st SL88828
    • BenVader.com
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2019, 11:40:49 AM »
Thank you! I've been looking for a printable chassis that could work for a 2005 Master Replicas ESB Vader hilt for awhile - I think this may just do the trick! I hope to try printing it in PETG or PLA this weekend!
newbielink:https://benvader.com [nonactive]
newbielink:https://www.instagram.com/benvaderesb/ [nonactive]

Offline NessKafetheYoungling

• No Force
  • Hello there
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2022, 05:40:17 AM »
Hey ,I've been trying to use the files to make a chassis but I wanted to modify the size of the speaker holder since it's define to hold a 28mm speaker and I'm using a 23mm speaker but I don't really know how to .
It seems that the link of the editable files are expired and I don't know if there is another way to edit it.

[nofollow]

[nofollow]
Never tell me the odds

Offline Kolgrima

• Force User
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2022, 11:32:54 AM »
Hey ,I've been trying to use the files to make a chassis but I wanted to modify the size of the speaker holder since it's define to hold a 28mm speaker and I'm using a 23mm speaker but I don't really know how to .
It seems that the link of the editable files are expired and I don't know if there is another way to edit it.

You Can find all the same source files in the files section here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3635780/files
the files you want are called Fusion_Source.zip

Offline scott

• Experienced Force User
  • Oh, I don’t think so.
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2022, 04:45:06 PM »
This is really cool…nice job and thanks for sharing!  I am not all that advanced in my 3d designs but have done something similar…I create modular parts that work and save them as my shapes in tinkercad (I know, training wheels.)  I join them and print as a single part.  I also started using siraya tanacious mixed in with fast resin to get more durable high detail..might be an option for the detail of a CC. 

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
  • Very, Very English Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2022, 11:59:46 PM »
I create modular parts that work and save them as my shapes in tinkercad (I know, training wheels.) 

Nothing wrong with Tinkercad, that's how I've made every 3D printed part on every one of my sabers since I started. 

...Although, that said, maybe look into something a bit more powerful once you feel you've got a hang of the basics. Tinkercad is surprisingly powerful once you figure out how to use it, but that comes at a cost. I'm good enough at using it that I can run up complex designs (ie, entire sabers) in a few hours, but I've also hit the technical limit of what it can do.

I want to go a bit further and do some stuff TinkerCAD doesn't cover (like fillets on curved surfaces and proper parametric design), so I'm having to learn some "real" CAD software. But the learning curve there is steep enough that 99% of the time, I just make the rough shape I want, export it as an STL, and then work on it in TinkerCAD because it's faster, and I find myself wishing I'd moved onto "real" CAD a lot earlier, you know?
Better late than never.

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2022, 07:21:25 AM »
I started out in 123D then "graduated" to Fusion 360.  At first I thought I was faster with 123D, but once you are accustomed to it, the more powerful software will probably be faster, especially as you develop a library of parts to reference.  A lot of people use OnShape as a free browser based CAD with parametric design.  I personally prefer to have a desktop software.

Offline scott

• Experienced Force User
  • Oh, I don’t think so.
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2022, 05:33:29 PM »
I do like the idea of desktop for the fact that all of my tinker parts are in their cloud.  I keep a local directory of all of my good parts in case they go away or want to charge me to get them out. 

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2022, 01:00:15 PM »
Fusion 360 actually keeps your parts in the cloud too, unfortunately.  If you have a paid license you can set a number of days worth of recent parts to keep locally, for the free license you can only keep 30 parts total locally but as many as you like in the cloud (last I checked anyway).

retrousse