fiduciary

Author Topic: Obi Wan saber continuity  (Read 12352 times)

Offline mb_jameson

• Force User
  • May the force be with you
Obi Wan saber continuity
« on: March 23, 2014, 09:34:46 AM »
I just picked up an Obi Wan TPM from Wolf10100 and its bonkers! I love it! However, it has sparked a debate with me and a friend.

Obi Wan's AOTC saber. Does he reclaim that saber after Geonosis?

What I think, is that after the arena battle in AOTC Obi Wan went back and got his gear from wherever it was placed after his capture. That, or upon the occupation of Geonosis, the clones had Obi Wan's re-confiscated gear sent back to him. I think that explains how we see that same hilt again in the Clone Wars cartoon that aired on adult swim.

Is a mistake in animation? or a tell to the continuity of Obi Wan's lightsabers?

Obi-Wan Kenobi VS. Durge. - YouTube
May the force be with you. Always.

Offline wolf10100

• Master Force User
    • Master Sabers
Re: Obi Wan saber continuity
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 09:43:53 AM »
To be honest with you I believe this to be just a silly continuity error by the creators. In the re-booted series of the Clone Wars, he has the saber that we all see in Episode 3.

I'm not sure when that version of the clone wars series was released... Perhaps before Ep3 was released and so they didn't realize a new saber was on the horizon for Episode 3?

Soo many questions :S lol
Remember, concentrate on the moment. Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.

Knight50

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 09:45:25 AM »
Obi-Wan uses a clan style saber that was given to him by one of the other Jedi in the arena battle, and afterwards when he and Anakin go up against Count Dooku. I would
hazard a guess that he reconstructs his saber for continuity purposes for the cartoon series.

Offline KI-ADI-MUNDI

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • "TRUST THE PROCESS"
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 09:48:43 AM »
That has to be an early story in the Clone Wars he still has his ATOC hair cut as well...

"In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act"

Offline mb_jameson

• Force User
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 10:01:18 AM »
That cartoon aired from '03-05.

Offline mb_jameson

• Force User
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 10:28:10 PM »
Debate update: So we compromised that the saber in that cartoon is a crudely drawn version of the clan saber he used at Geonosis. Possibly with one of his spare power packs affixed to the pommel :)

Thanks guys for help and the insight! 

Offline AAYLA SECURA

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 10:06:44 PM »
I doubt that he got his lightsaber back after Geonosis.  I think, cinematically speaking, him losing it was meant as: 1) A reflection of what he told Anakin early in the movie about a lightsaber being his life, and 2) A reason to give Obi-Wan a new hilt (the one he's supposed to have in ANH) in ROTS.
Hasbro Signature Series
Luke Skywalker ANH with Removable Blade
Obi-Wan Kenobi ROTS with Removable Blade
Darth Maul TPM with Removable Blade
Kit Fisto AOTC with Removable Blade
Luke Skywalker ROTJ

Offline mb_jameson

• Force User
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 08:45:56 AM »
Now that is a new spin! Thematically you are right. Obi1 loses a saber every movie, accept ROTS. In that he gains Anakins. With continuity up in the air, I just want to know what saber he has at the start of the clone wars or if the cartoons even count? I'm a die hard fan of that hilt...I must know! :-)

Offline Big Boss

• Formerly known as phophjoph
  • Master Force User
  • there is only room for one Snake and one Big Boss
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2014, 12:25:24 PM »
I always though obi rebuilt/got back his saber after geonosis according to the timeline and cartoons depiction of his saber. He lost or rebuilt his aotc saber  some time during the cone wars and built his rots saber
EP2 Attack of the clones - Clone wars mirco series vol 1-Clone wars movie/Star wars the Clone 3d cartoon- Clone wars micro Vol 2- Ep3 Revenge of the sith 

Clone wars vol 1 Obi with his Aotc saber

Star wars the Clone 3d cartoon
Obi with his Rots saber

Clone wars vol 2 has Rots saber * look at pommel*

« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 12:27:07 PM by Big Boss »

"One must die and one must live. No victory, no defeat. The survivor will carry on the fight. It is our destiny... The one who survives will inherit the title of Boss. And the one who inherits the title of Boss will face an existence of endless battle."-The Boss

"Be like a duck. Calm on the surface, but always paddling like the dickens underneath"-Michael Caine

Offline mb_jameson

• Force User
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 05:00:50 PM »
I hear ya big boss. And since that cartoon has already aired I assumed it would be engrained in the canon. The more people I talk to, the more personal the answer. It seems like, unless there is an official announcement that I missed, it's a matter of preference.

As a die hard fan of (and proud owner of) that particular hilt, I like to think that what you see is what you get.
 Maybe obi wan thought to go back and retrieve that saber BC of what he learned from qui gon, and later passed on to Anakin.

Offline KingOfDathomir

• Master Force User
  • Call me... Old Master
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 01:46:46 AM »
I would say the hilt is either the AOTC or a third iteration of the same hilt. The hilt seen in vol. 2, however, is the faux Mk. III from ROTS, which he also has in TCW.

Korbanth Sid
Korbanth MW3
Korbanth DM1 v2014
RomanProps Inception Elite
MR 2005 Anakin ROTS LE
Korbanth Duke
HFFX ANH Darth Vader
SF Luke ROTJ Hero
Korbanth Crossguard
Korbanth Graflex v2.0 (Finn-flex)
AHS w/ Crystal Shard v1
Pachstore Shadowblade (SWR Darksaber)
VyleOne TCW Asajj Ventress (3-D printed, 1:1)
VyleOne TCW Pre-Viszla Darksaber (3-D printed, 1:1)
KR Sabers Kenobi ROTS

Offline Jotun22

• No Force
  • You must do what you think is right, of course.
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2019, 09:38:46 AM »
So I believe that I had seen or read somewhere at some point, that the reason why Obi-Wan wields his ROTS saber in TCW series is that he was promoted to Jedi Master shortly after Geonosis (off-screen of course). It is not uncommon for Jedi to create a new lightsaber upon promotion within the order, as sort of a symbol of their new status. I think the same logic could be applied to Anakin in between AOTC and TCW in regards to his change in lightsaber style. He was promoted to full fledged Knight after AOTC (again off-screen).
KR/OR QGJ - GGW NBv3
(In the Market for more)

retrousse