fiduciary

Author Topic: Obscure tools, tips & tricks of the trade  (Read 31038 times)

Offline Kreyhn

• No Force
  • BZZSHZRRMMmmmmm...
Re: Obscure tools, tips & tricks of the trade
« Reply #60 on: December 27, 2018, 07:37:53 AM »
Not really obscure but definitely not common. USB microscope.

This was a pic taken from it, but the beauty is in the live feed to your computer screen. The image is HUGE!! I use Quicktime on Mac.

Do you use this to solder wires onto your boards?  And does it help?

Also: This thread is amazing.  I am enjoying DarkMatter's drill bit; it's much smaller than my contraption involving a hole cutter that fits into sink tube, the MHS sink-tube adapter, and then whatever MHS parts I screw into that. I have a blank 2" blade holder which I have converted into a tool to spin blades for sanding.  I find that a clear blade with a sanded outside and either another trans blade or blade film inside the clear, sanded blade gives a nice core+halo effect.

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #61 on: December 29, 2018, 07:42:52 AM »
Using electro etching/saltwater etching as a layout technique for shaping with hand tools [/b][/size]
As a corollary to this, you can etch pilot spots for your drilling rather than punching.  It works pretty well and will give you a really nice level of accuracy.  Even if you etch your layout you can cut your vinyl to include the pilot holes, and do a first etch just etching the holes, then do a second etch for the broader details.

Offline BipeFlyer

• Padawan Learner
  • Taking my first steps into a larger world.
« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2019, 10:50:32 PM »
Not really obscure but definitely not common. USB microscope.

This was a pic taken from it, but the beauty is in the live feed to your computer screen. The image is HUGE!! I use Quicktime on Mac.

I've been looking at getting one of these, but the reviews are mixed on most that I've seen on Amazon.  What one do you have?

Offline Darth Chasm

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2019, 07:13:25 PM »
Another little thing I cooked up. USB powered Pixel Led tester made with an ATtiny running a test program. Discreet blue power led. 3 pogo pins make it very easy to quickly tap the pads to see if the pixel is good.

The first pic is the first version, but it was an ugly color, way too big, and had regular pins which made it difficult to do the tests quickly.

Less than $10 to make!   :cool:

Offline EXAR KUN

• SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
« Reply #64 on: July 18, 2019, 09:49:20 AM »
Another little thing I cooked up. USB powered Pixel Led tester made with an ATtiny running a test program. Discreet blue power led. 3 pogo pins make it very easy to quickly tap the pads to see if the pixel is good.

The first pic is the first version, but it was an ugly color, way too big, and had regular pins which made it difficult to do the tests quickly.

Love it! Must make your life easier and faster to test!

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
  • Very, Very English Poster
« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2019, 05:25:15 AM »

Ok, I mean, don't get me wrong, DC, a neopixel test rig is a good idea, and at the rate neopixels are carving a niche in this hobby, a handy thing to have. This is just a difference of opinion, but I think your rig is a bit overcomplicated. I mean, you could do the same with just an Arduino nano, three wires, and three pogo pins. no need for the hassle of programming an ATtiny in the first place, or an additional USB breakout.
Better late than never.

Offline Darth Chasm

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
« Reply #66 on: July 20, 2019, 05:50:21 AM »
True you could use a nano or pro micro. There’s even an attiny break out with usb. I have all of the above.

A couple factors went into the decision for the tiny. It seems like a waste to use one of those other boards, minus the attiny breakout, for such a simple circuit. All those unused pins :). The bare tiny chip is much cheaper than a nano or other options. Flashing the boot loader takes no effort really and it was already something I wanted to build a hat for anyway.

I don’t think either option is more or less complicated than the other. They accomplish the same thing. Different ways to skin a cat and all that. I just wanted to save a couple bucks, tinker and try a few new things.

Thanks for your input though. This will give readers more options to consider if they want to build this or something similar.

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
« Reply #67 on: July 20, 2019, 07:12:18 AM »
Yeah, that's perfectly fair. Sorry, on re-reading, my OP came off more standoffish than I'd like. My bad.
Better late than never.

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
« Reply #68 on: July 20, 2019, 08:28:57 AM »
Also, on the subject of different cat skinning methods: Actual Quartz Neocrystal!

While it was fun to break out the diamond tipped dremel tools, I think your cast Neocrystals are significantly easier to make. Less quartz dust in the air, for one. :wink:
Better late than never.

Offline Darth Chasm

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
« Reply #69 on: July 20, 2019, 10:28:09 AM »
Yeah, that's perfectly fair. Sorry, on re-reading, my OP came off more standoffish than I'd like. My bad.

No worries my friend all is good in the saberhood.

Also, on the subject of different cat skinning methods: Actual Quartz Neocrystal!

While it was fun to break out the diamond tipped dremel tools, I think your cast Neocrystals are significantly easier to make. Less quartz dust in the air, for one. :wink:

Yeah I went down that road once. It's a bit of a pain and in mass volume not really feasible for me. Did you cut under water? You should if you didn't. Far less harmful dust.

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
« Reply #70 on: July 21, 2019, 02:18:37 AM »
I did cut it to size under running water. Milling the LED recess was finicky enough that, in the end, I dipped it underwater to cool it every twenty seconds or so, to make sure I could still see what I was cutting, rather than having it under water at all times. So, dust got in the air.

I'm pretty sure my lack of experience/poor technique is to blame there. But then again, it's not as if I cut quartz every day, so I think that mitigates the health risks somewhat.
Better late than never.

Offline Darth Chasm

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
« Reply #71 on: August 11, 2019, 10:07:44 AM »
I'm sure a lot of you are familiar with pick and pluck foam inserts that can be used for making custom foam inserts to store and protect your saber. I used it when I first started making custom storage boxes. But then about 2 years ago I came across Kaizen Foam. It's a dense foam that is assembled in peel-able layers and comes in a variety of thickness. You can use an adjustable "click-blade" to set the depth you want and cut your outline, Then you just carefully peel the layers out. Unlike the pick and pluck, the final surface does not have all of the checkerboard-like cubes so it looks much nicer in my opinion.Link after pic.

Kaizen Foam - FastCap

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
« Reply #72 on: October 06, 2019, 04:59:00 AM »
Okay, here's one I've been using today. If you've ever hung around YouTube's carpentry/woodwork sections, you know there's just hundreds upon hundred of videos on chisel sharpening. Maybe watch them, and buy some chisels.

Because when they're REALLY SCARY SHARP, they can totally shave aluminium.  :evil:
Better late than never.

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2019, 10:42:23 AM »
I've been working on prototyping a new tool and that has required me to rewire things a few times.  One tool that has been very handy is a seam ripper. It has been very helpful in removing heatshrink from components and wires without the various risks associated with using an exacto or similar.

Offline Darth Chasm

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
« Reply #74 on: October 21, 2019, 04:52:04 PM »
I've been working on prototyping a new tool and that has required me to rewire things a few times.  One tool that has been very handy is a seam ripper. It has been very helpful in removing heatshrink from components and wires without the various risks associated with using an exacto or similar.

Great idea! I always use my flush cutters but this would be much more efficient.

retrousse