fiduciary

Author Topic: (probably) New idea for RGB sabers  (Read 1844 times)

Offline Firedrops

• Force User
(probably) New idea for RGB sabers
« on: September 11, 2009, 08:35:31 AM »
I was looking through some videos on youtube of RGB sabers, i was wondering whether its possible to sorta adjust the power flowing into each of the LEDs so that we can increase or decrease the amount of each color that is.
i was thinking something along 3 bazel nut switches, 1 for each color
or maybe a switch that goes up or down to adjust the brightness of each color
and maybe if possible introduce a "lock" system so you won't accidentally change the color from your favourite one by rubbing against a switch and lose it.

is this technology already available(on lightsabers and otherwise)?
is it possible at all?
credits to Paul Lanski(for making these models)

Offline EvlDean

• No Force
Re: (probably) New idea for RGB sabers
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 08:55:16 AM »
Most people use inhilt potentiometers that are tuned to the right purple color.

EDIT: Look up Vaders Vault(fenderbender and allearra)'s sabers.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 08:57:10 AM by EvlDean »
//j

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 11:36:37 AM »
I was looking through some videos on youtube of RGB sabers, i was wondering whether its possible to sorta adjust the power flowing into each of the LEDs so that we can increase or decrease the amount of each color that is.
and maybe if possible introduce a "lock" system so you won't accidentally change the color from your favourite one by rubbing against a switch and lose it.

is it possible at all?

It is available, it is possible, it has been done ;).  There are several ways to do it but it is space and wiring intensive :).

Facebook: VVFB

Offline Firedrops

• Force User
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 08:36:54 PM »
Most people use inhilt potentiometers that are tuned to the right purple color.

EDIT: Look up Vaders Vault(fenderbender and allearra)'s sabers.

i actually mean those that you can customize any time you want, simply by turning afew knobs which are on the hilt itself, not those pre-tuned to a certain color.

is it possible at all?

It is available, it is possible, it has been done ;).  There are several ways to do it but it is space and wiring intensive :).

so what are these sabers called? does anyone have any pics or videos of them, who makes them?
credits to Paul Lanski(for making these models)

Offline GENERAL GRIEVOUS

• Call 1-800-GENERAL now!
  • SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • The Saber Artist formerly known as LDM
    • ldmcustomsabers.com
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 10:55:03 PM »

so what are these sabers called? does anyone have any pics or videos of them, who makes them?

They are not called anything specific and any sabersmith of note (on this or any other saber forum) has made at least one.  They are VERY common, but rarely worth the PITA to build.

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 11:39:28 AM »
Potentiometers are a great way to adjust colour but you are right that it would be nice to be able to 'lock' the settings in after you dial them in or have 'click' adjustments like on a gunsight so you can be sure of EXACTLY recreating a preferred setting if you change and want to change back.

Even better might be a digital RGB controller similar to those used on TVs or computers that can set precise numerical values 0-255...so I can get a TRUE "Viridian" which is RGB colour space 64 130 109 and would be nearly impossible to reliably 'tune' by hand/eye with manual pots.

I hope that someday a sound/driver board offers that.
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

retrousse