fiduciary

Author Topic: Slide Switch Kill Key  (Read 4448 times)

Offline Raktus

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
Slide Switch Kill Key
« on: October 14, 2017, 03:51:33 PM »
Hi everyone,

I’m looking to install a slide switch as a kill key instead of a plug so I don’t have to worry about misplacing them. If anyone who has accomplished it is willing to help and show me how, I would be very grateful!

Much appreciated!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 03:56:30 PM by Raktus »

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
Re: Slide Switch Kill Key
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 10:43:02 PM »
You just use the switch to break the battery's connection to your electronics.

Offline livebyhonor

• Force User
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 07:52:50 PM »
Yep just put a slide switch inline with either of the ground wires of the recharge port. The recharge port will remain in a on State at all times for recharging needs but the slide switch will kill or activate power.

Offline Raktus

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 10:52:04 AM »
Thanks everyone!

Has anyone mounted a slide switch in their saber and willing to share their experience?

Thanks!

Offline ShtokyD

• Mining Colony Members
  • Force User
  • whatever
    • My facebook page
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 10:58:02 AM »
Hi everyone,

I’m looking to install a slide switch as a kill key instead of a plug so I don’t have to worry about misplacing them. If anyone who has accomplished it is willing to help and show me how, I would be very grateful!

Much appreciated!
Here you go, make sure to use a slide switch with current rating 2A+ (Not recommended to use those small smt slide switches, they are 100-500mA max):

Offline Ridire Fíréan

• Force User
  • Up&down&around the bend a Jedi's story never ends
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 11:54:57 AM »
Hey @ShtokyD  !  It looks like that switch in the diagram you posted is only rated to 0.4A.

TS01CBE C&K | Switches | DigiKey

Is that the one you're using, or was the part number in the diagram incorrect?

I'm also looking for a switch to use as a killkey, but some of the 3A ones are 1" long!  It'll never fit where I want it to at that length.

Off to continue the search!

Offline ShtokyD

• Mining Colony Members
  • Force User
  • whatever
    • My facebook page
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2017, 12:05:43 PM »
Hey @ShtokyD  !  It looks like that switch in the diagram you posted is only rated to 0.4A.

TS01CBE C&K | Switches | DigiKey

Is that the one you're using, or was the part number in the diagram incorrect?

I'm also looking for a switch to use as a killkey, but some of the 3A ones are 1" long!  It'll never fit where I want it to at that length.

Off to continue the search!
No, this switch is rated for 6A at least, I tested it at 6A and had no resistence. In the description it says 0.4VA not 0.4A, it's different. "VA" is Volt Amper characteristic.

Offline Ridire Fíréan

• Force User
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2017, 03:20:42 PM »
In the description it says 0.4VA not 0.4A, it's different. "VA" is Volt Amper characteristic.

WHOOPS!  I read through that a little fast.  I should have checked the data sheet! "Ratings up to 3 AMPS"  Thank you for correcting me @ShtokyD  , that one might even be able to fit where I need it to!  I'll have to redo my search, there may be some others that I read as "A"mps versus "VA"volt-amperes while wheeling away at lightspeed on the mouse today. 

Note to self, "Slow your scroll you must, or overlook important data you will as images flash by."

Thanks again!

Offline ShtokyD

• Mining Colony Members
  • Force User
  • whatever
    • My facebook page
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2017, 01:04:38 AM »
In the description it says 0.4VA not 0.4A, it's different. "VA" is Volt Amper characteristic.

WHOOPS!  I read through that a little fast.  I should have checked the data sheet! "Ratings up to 3 AMPS"  Thank you for correcting me @ShtokyD  , that one might even be able to fit where I need it to!  I'll have to redo my search, there may be some others that I read as "A"mps versus "VA"volt-amperes while wheeling away at lightspeed on the mouse today. 

Note to self, "Slow your scroll you must, or overlook important data you will as images flash by."

Thanks again!
Yes, they are officially rated for 3A but I tested them at 6A and the result was good. I did a research on smallest high amp slide switches for saber Kill Switch purposes and this switch is the smallest I could find. But If you will find even a smaller one, definitely let us know!

Offline Raktus

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 05:38:42 PM »
Hi everyone,

Much appreciated!
Here you go, make sure to use a slide switch with current rating 2A+ (Not recommended to use those small smt slide switches, they are 100-500mA max):

Thanks! That’s really helpful!

Does anyone have advice on how to mount it inside a small control box?... the design challenges continue lol

Offline Ridire Fíréan

• Force User
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2017, 02:38:25 PM »
Hey @Raktus  !  I bought some solder board to make platforms with.  It works perfectly with the micro connectors I bought this summer, but not with the micro slide switches I bought 5 days ago.  I'll have to find a different sheet that has closer hole spacing if I want to go that route for holding my switch in place.

I may drill some holes in the control box I bought from TCSS and just glue the PCB tabs in place.  The alternative is just some 3M double-sided tape.

Here's what I found at my local electronics shop, they're WAY SMALL...

SPDT Micro Slide Switch Pack of 10 Pcs. | MPJA.COM

These are proving difficult to find online, and even more so to figure out who makes them.  They have a little 4 or slanted L logo stamped on one end, but no other labeling whatsoever.  So I have no idea what their life cycle is, but at least the little baggy I bought mine in had 0.4VA on it!

I found another source, that sells these for $0.20 a piece!  But I need to contact the seller to check and see if they're rated at 0.4VA and have the same logo on the end of the switch in order to confirm that they're the same exact kind that I have.  With shipping it'll be around $0.55 per switch at 10 pieces.  I paid $2.99 the other day for 2.

Good Luck mounting your switch!

Offline Raktus

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 01:14:48 PM »
Hey @Raktus  !  I bought some solder board to make platforms with.  It works perfectly with the micro connectors I bought this summer, but not with the micro slide switches I bought 5 days ago.  I'll have to find a different sheet that has closer hole spacing if I want to go that route for holding my switch in place.

I may drill some holes in the control box I bought from TCSS and just glue the PCB tabs in place.  The alternative is just some 3M double-sided tape.

Here's what I found at my local electronics shop, they're WAY SMALL...

SPDT Micro Slide Switch Pack of 10 Pcs. | MPJA.COM

These are proving difficult to find online, and even more so to figure out who makes them.  They have a little 4 or slanted L logo stamped on one end, but no other labeling whatsoever.  So I have no idea what their life cycle is, but at least the little baggy I bought mine in had 0.4VA on it!

I found another source, that sells these for $0.20 a piece!  But I need to contact the seller to check and see if they're rated at 0.4VA and have the same logo on the end of the switch in order to confirm that they're the same exact kind that I have.  With shipping it'll be around $0.55 per switch at 10 pieces.  I paid $2.99 the other day for 2.

Good Luck mounting your switch!

Thanks @Ridire!

I’ll definitely check those out. Keep me posted with what you’re able to figure out? Much appreciated!

Offline Ridire Fíréan

• Force User
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 07:43:14 PM »
O.K. so I talked to the folks in the link I provided and they said that:

1. It is 0.4VA. :grin:
2. They're bought in bulk from "overseas" and they have no idea who the manufacturer is. :sad:
3. It probably has a life cycle of 10,000. Not fantastic, but...
4. There's 10 in a pack for $1.00.
5. If you buy 10 packs of 10 pieces, the pack price drops to $0.80 per pack of 10...
6. So, that's $8.00 for 100 switches, + $6.95 Shipping = $14.95...
7. And that's $0.15 per switch!  If you buy 1 pack of 10 it's $0.80 per switch when you factor in the $6.95 Shipping Cost.
8. Sure you might have to swap them out every 10,000 throws, but you'll have enough switches for 1,000,000 On-Offs!!!
9. The lady that takes the orders walked out to the warehouse, grabbed a bag of these, came back to the phone with it, pulled out her magnifying glass and confirmed that...
10. They do have the same maker's mark as the ones I bought for $2.99.
11. This swictch probably "shouldn't be used by NASA or in any type of rocket ship. But it's a good little switch." :cheesy:

Offline Raktus

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2017, 08:36:26 PM »
O.K. so I talked to the folks in the link I provided and they said that:

1. It is 0.4VA. :grin:
2. They're bought in bulk from "overseas" and they have no idea who the manufacturer is. :sad:
3. It probably has a life cycle of 10,000. Not fantastic, but...
4. There's 10 in a pack for $1.00.
5. If you buy 10 packs of 10 pieces, the pack price drops to $0.80 per pack of 10...
6. So, that's $8.00 for 100 switches, + $6.95 Shipping = $14.95...
7. And that's $0.15 per switch!  If you buy 1 pack of 10 it's $0.80 per switch when you factor in the $6.95 Shipping Cost.
8. Sure you might have to swap them out every 10,000 throws, but you'll have enough switches for 1,000,000 On-Offs!!!
9. The lady that takes the orders walked out to the warehouse, grabbed a bag of these, came back to the phone with it, pulled out her magnifying glass and confirmed that...
10. They do have the same maker's mark as the ones I bought for $2.99.
11. This swictch probably "shouldn't be used by NASA or in any type of rocket ship. But it's a good little switch." :cheesy:

Hahahaha. This definitely isn’t gonna be NASA quality. I’ve been doing a lot of searching and have maybe had some luck. Unfortunately I’m not evough of and electrician to really understand the specs. If a switch is listed as 6 amp @125 VAC would that work? I can’t find DC ratings. If it’s listed at 6A or higher, is it fine to run below that (i.e. what would be overkill for an 3.7V 18650 on a prizm board)?

Offline ShtokyD

• Mining Colony Members
  • Force User
  • whatever
    • My facebook page
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2017, 05:42:57 AM »
Here is a link to better understand what is "VA" rating for switches: Understanding power rating of switches at 5V - Electrical Engineering Stack

retrousse