fiduciary

Author Topic: Space Windu's Space Ship Shop "The Destiny"  (Read 4262 times)

Offline EXAR KUN

• Board Moderator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
Space Windu's Space Ship Shop "The Destiny"
« on: May 12, 2018, 10:27:40 PM »
Whilst needing to upgrade my work area in the garage, I decided to bring my idea of having the interior of a spaceship for a garage into reality. Just for fun. And to get better organized, I was able to build some custom storage areas for all my blade supplies and lightsaber building supplies, plus a locker with drawers to separate and organize my customer's lightsabers and lightsaber parts. After seeing what Madcow did with his work area (he turned his work space into a space ship area first), I got inspired to stop just thinking about doing it and just do it.

Putting a strain on some deadlines and busting past others, I did have my friend Mike to help me build out some of the wacky things I wanted to do. After explaining to him once or twice the crazy idea for what I wanted for a part of the area, he was then able to run with what I said and complete some things for me while I completed other parts. And for the heavy lifting of some of the build-outs it was nice to have a buddy there.

I started with the idea for a Space Window like Palpatine would stare out of on the Death Star or maybe like the view port of the Millenium Falcon. Not to outright copy those windows, but to make something like it. I began this part by planning out the airbrush painting Mike was going to do as the back drop:

Then, Mike painted a space scene for me on the cut out. It is cut the way you see because I wanted this circular design to be six feet across, and that wasn't going to happen with a 4x8 board. So I had to get creative and cut it in this pattern,... which was done this way so that I could later hide the seams with my window bars.

Just in hindsight, and for anyone planning on doing something like this first part of the project,... if I were to do it again I would maybe drill holes in the painting and illuminate from behind certain stars... and have them twinkle. That might be nice to do on the next one  :cheesy:

As for other parts of the work space... I wanted more lights! Of course... who do you think I am??? We need the most LEDs we can fit!!

Those are the back of one of the panels I made with 500 LEDs... pretty boring work but it actually looks cool even on the back side...

Video: IMG 8918 - YouTube

Here's another couple panels made before they go up on the wall:

A small panel of 100 LEDs I set up in a pattern I think looks 'Star Wars':

IMG 8956 - YouTube

An absolutely huge mess was created!

Half of the two-car garage area needed to also work as a gym and martial arts training area so my teacher can give me lessons there, hence the mirrors and the Bruce Lee poster up top:

My work area needed updating and one of the main reasons I did this project in the first place was to get MORE LIGHT!! Because working on these small things inside a lightsaber or for a blade is easier with more light:

My stereo and other cubbie areas and bins would be included in my arch inspired by the arch on the Millenium Falcon:

Now for viewing monitors so I can pretend I'm watching Aldaraan blow up like Tarkin or I can pull up schematics for the Crystal Focus while I wire a board:

« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 10:48:01 PM by EXAR KUN »

Offline EXAR KUN

• Board Moderator
  • Master Force User
Re: Space Windu's Space Ship Shop "The Destiny"
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 10:30:04 PM »
While I worked on a bunch of other stuff, and sometimes catching up with my saber work in the dining room, Mike was working on my space window:

Of course you gotta make it 3-D:

And you gotta light it up:

Really cool effect on the space window:  SpaceWindu?s Space Window - YouTube
IMG 1182 - YouTube

There's still some things to do like details... I want to do more cool effects with paint... making things look worn and used as they do in the Star Wars world if you're a good guy.... if you're in the Empire all your stuff is super clean, haha. But if you're like Han Solo your ship is a bit rusty and dirty, so I want to add some silver paint effects and rust stuff and also my best friend Kevin will come over and work some magic with his skills but as for me, I need to get back to doing the lightsaber builds and things are also more efficient now.

Video: IMG 1196 - YouTube

Check back for some updated pictures and videos I'll post. Thanks for taking a look! Feel free to comment if you have ideas or things I could have done differently or show us your own custom work space or even just share ideas for what you'd like to do with your space.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 08:26:57 PM by EXAR KUN »

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 05:37:54 AM »
Love your style .

Offline Morannon

• Force User
  • “Luminous beings are we…not this crude matter.”
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2018, 08:06:11 AM »
This. Is. Awesome. Talk about getting yourself into the headspace.

Rebellion Run Jacen Solo
GCS Ascend

Offline Pfockerchief

• Master Force User
  • (Fa-ker-chief)
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2018, 09:19:51 AM »
Brilliant!
Yoda Vintage GFIV, GFV
LDM Obi Bronzium Reveal
LDM MKVI ROTJ PC2 V2 #27
SP/LDM Sid
SJ Obi Romans Reveal
GCS CF6 CEX Asc#14/PC2 Asc AE/Custom Badaxx
OR Adi-Galia CF6
VV Luke Hero/Tempest/Wraths

Offline Obi_1

• Mining Colony Members
  • Experienced Force User
  • Creator of DIYino - first open source FX-board
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2018, 12:08:16 PM »
I can't believe it!!! You made a starship from your workshop? It looks amazing! I'll go and tell the missy she can park somewhere else, the garage is mine! :cheesy:

Offline Darth Chasm

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2018, 01:26:24 PM »
Jealous. That is all.

Offline JakeSoft

• Experienced Force User
  • The Arduino Jedi
    • Universal Saber Library
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2018, 05:14:40 PM »
I can't build anything that won't fit on my workbench. So jealous! Can we look forward to future episodes of Saber Talk taking place here?

Offline EXAR KUN

• Board Moderator
  • Master Force User
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2018, 08:12:20 PM »
I can't build anything that won't fit on my workbench. So jealous! Can we look forward to future episodes of Saber Talk taking place here?

Yeah for sure! That was one of the reasons I wanted to go through with this, was to build a 'set' for SaberTalk where we can sit in front of the space window and it would look cool, or I even have another area in front of one of the bay doors that I built a curtain rod where I want to hang black curtains and then there is a set of LED light curtain in front of that... which can be another 'set'. Look out soon I plan to give a few ear beatings about such topics as The Last Jedi and other stuff lol

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 06:28:33 AM »
This is amazing.  I was really thrilled when I recently upgraded to having a dedicated place to actually work that is 30"x30"x18"

Offline EXAR KUN

• Board Moderator
  • Master Force User
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2018, 01:43:35 PM »
This is amazing.  I was really thrilled when I recently upgraded to having a dedicated place to actually work that is 30"x30"x18"

Thanks Jason. That's OK! There's not as much available space in Brooklyn as there is here in Jersey

Offline Seth Skywalker

• Padawan Learner
  • That lightsaber... is mine!
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2018, 04:45:04 PM »
I want to turn my next workshop/garage into something like this. Really awesome!

Offline BipeFlyer

• Padawan Learner
  • Taking my first steps into a larger world.
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2018, 11:26:50 PM »
Very cool!  I especially like the effect on the space window.

Offline Yaraell_Ren

• Force User
  • Listen Yaddle, I'm gonna need to borrow your car!
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2018, 07:07:40 AM »

Thanks Jason. That's OK! There's not as much available space in Brooklyn as there is here in Jersey

I saw your Space Ship workshop tour video on Youtube this morning, and it's amazing! Love the effects on the windows.
Also spotted some 'goodies' like Yoda's prototype chassis:)

Offline Jediseth

• Force User
  • Jediseth sound fonts available at saberfont.com
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2018, 08:46:40 AM »
I love this workspace. I have to share our garage with my wife and kids or I’d be doing something like this. It’s probably a good thing because I’d never come out. Lol.  Great work, it’s got some beautiful touches and a nice feel.

retrousse