fiduciary

Author Topic: Lighting Quartz CCs  (Read 2507 times)

Offline scott

• Experienced Force User
  • Oh, I don’t think so.
Re: Lighting Quartz CCs
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2020, 06:54:28 PM »
So while I previously said that I wouldn’t keep hitting the same thread, I felt it appropriate. If the vets or mods feel differently, LMk and I will proceed as directed in the future.

The quest to get great lighted quartz CCs continues...working towards getting good enough to make a metal masters type build worth while.
Guidance from the crew here has been great...Thunder guy didn’t like my obvious layers last time...since then I have gone resin which is amazing!  This is an RGB on a Proffie using Fernandos amazing CC styles..no video yet, but rainbow blade and CC is a pretty sick crowd pleaser!  As always, constructive criticism is always appreciated.

SK Rogue Crystal Chamber - Album on Imgur

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
  • Very, Very English Poster
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2020, 06:32:12 AM »
Sorry buddy, as a makerspace director, I'm constantly giving people 3D printing advice, to the point where it's hard to turn off in my off time. My bad.

The new CC looks great, you're getting to be quite excellent at them.

Never could work out resin printing, myself, and our space had issues with storing printing resins (too many carcinogens for our insurance.)Out of curiosity, how does resin hold up, strength wise, compared to FDM?
Better late than never.

Offline scott

• Experienced Force User
  • Oh, I don’t think so.
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2020, 05:49:47 PM »
All good Thunder....it was well received feedback at the time...had been singularly focused on the crystal and led...the chassis was an afterthought and was a drag on the final product.

Resin seems to be stronger, especially in that there are net the weak points between layers. It is certainly open to cracking, but overall, much more precise to the model and holds up well. I can print very solid pixel pcb holders with pin guards that I want able to do as reliably in PLA.  I do print in a room that is constantly vented, and given the state of the world, masks are everywhere, so you can be relatively safe I guess. I’m sure some will disagree.

retrousse