fiduciary

Author Topic: Hasbro Obi-Wan ROTS Saber repair - help?  (Read 2836 times)

Offline CaptRiker

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
Hasbro Obi-Wan ROTS Saber repair - help?
« on: July 12, 2016, 02:20:29 PM »
Hello,

I'm trying to repair my ROTS OWK saber.  It was left on without the removable blade in and the batteries leaked and fubar'd the battery compartment.  I've searched for replacements but no luck.

Instead I've decided to try and fix it.  I have a 4-AAA battery speaker combo with four wires.  Two for the batteries and two for the speaker.

The output from the old battery compartment was three wires that connect to three posts in the hilt:
[/img]

I've figured through looking at what I can see of the wiring, that the outer pegs are positive and negative.  If I connect my new set of batteries up to them using a hacked together test rig, I can get the saber to ignite normally.  What I can't figure out is how the speaker is wired.  I assumed the negative of the speaker shared negative with the batteries and that the positive from the speaker went to the middle post in the hilt.  But no love.  I can't get any sound out of the saber with the the following combos:

Bat- & Spk- to Negative post
Bat+ to Positive Post
Spk+ to middle post

Bat- & Spk+ to Negative post
Bat+ to Positive Post
Spk- to middle post

Now that I type, I'm thinking it might be:
Bat- to Negative post
Bat+ & Spk+ to Positive Post
Spk- to middle post

ANy suggestions will be appreciated.  I was thinking the speaker signal comes from the middle post and the speaker just needed to be on the common negative.  The only other question is on voltage.  The orignal compartment has 3 batteries for 4.5v total.  My new one has four for 6v total.  Am I damaging the saber by running more voltage?  Is that why the speaker isn't working?  Short of finding a three battery/speaker combo, I can just hard wire one of the battery compartments positive to negative I assume.

Could I also have positive and negative reversed?

Here is the top of the old compartment.  The little board just seemed to make wiring easier and had no logic on it. 

Here is the jury rigged test for the posts.  Middle was Yellow on the original and went right to the speaker.  The speaker had brown connected to something else.

Offline fusion150

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
Re: Hasbro Obi-Wan ROTS Saber repair - help?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 12:59:29 AM »
First blush, you definitely want to provide the voltage the unit was designed for.  6v might not kill it, but it might not be good for it either.  I would find a way to cut out the 4th battery and provide the correct voltage and polarity to the pins as identified using the old battery compartment.

Any more, I'd need to see the circuit.  Is the speaker somehow a part of or routed through the battery compartment? Is that why you think the 3rd pin is somehow associated with the speaker? If so, looking at how the speaker was connected in the old battery compartment should reveal to you how to route it in the new one.

Offline CaptRiker

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 06:57:20 PM »
One wire from the speaker went straight up the unit to the third post.  The other to the small circuit board in the second photo.

I was able to bypass the fourth battery and just use the right voltage.  I also figured out the positive//negative were reversed.  The unit lit up and made a very rudimentary sound.  I think I may have damaged the audio component in testing.  It was a constant sound but definitely not the ignition sound.

I'm thinking of either just setting the light up or waiting until I find the right replacement battery pack.

Thanks for the reply!

Offline fusion150

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 09:51:54 PM »
Depending on how well designed the circuitry was, applying reversed polarity power could have whacked out some of the electronics. I cannot tell from the picture what the function of the little circuit board is.  I think finding the right replacement battery pack is the best idea.

Good luck.

retrousse