fiduciary

Author Topic: Grayven's MR FX Lightsaber Construction set (Joe Jedi) review ( pics Update)  (Read 96502 times)

Offline LANDO CALRISSIAN

• formerly known as Grayven
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • I have recently struck a deal with empire
What did you use to trim down the hilt pieces?

My table top band saw.

Lando

All good is just as flawed as all bad. True power lies somewhere in between.
I like spaghetti, You like spaghetti? If so check out the spaghetti party over at judgesabersmith.com

Offline LANDO CALRISSIAN

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
This is a double post because of my update. ;D

I have an update. I have been working with some new rotary switches for this conversion and have a winner. It's a 8 position 3 pole rotary switch. Also there is a stock made hole just on the underside of the plastic core (opposite of the RGB and on/off push button) where the rotary switch fits perfectly. This same hole can be used as a template to drill the hole in the aluminum core so the switch is accessible from under the cosmetic pieces. I really like this setup. This ones for you Novastar.
Here are the pics.

Lando

I like spaghetti, You like spaghetti? If so check out the spaghetti party over at judgesabersmith.com

Offline Novastar

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • NCSCS - Sabercombat.com
    • DIAMOND DRAGONS: Humans stand, heroes fall--but DRAGONS are *Forever*...
You rock brutha Grayven... Robodragon is unstoppable it seems--the bloody RGB FORCE is with him!!

That is awesome to hear about the rotaries... I did indeed get your messages about those, so they definitely sounded promising. And now that I see these photos, I'm glad it worked out with sizing and certain stock-manufactured holes.

I say this (along with your first set of tutorials) is going to a great one for the saber history books!

Now we just have to hope that the bloody MRFX "Joe Jedi" sabers don't get totally re-done or phased out thanks to this whole "Hasbro taking over the LFL license" thing.

Great job, and my thanks to you!!!
* Former creator and owner of SaberCombat
* CUSTOM SOUND FONT LIST --->
Click here for Nova's 100+ custom sound fonts!
* PERFORMANCE HIGHLIGHTS ---> Click here for Nova's saber performance work...
* DIAMOND DRAGONS ---> Diamond Dragons: A feature-length screenplay being developed by Matthew 'Novastar' Carauddo

I don't post often on forums anymore.  If you want to e-mail me: novastar1138@gmail.com, or visit me on Facebook:

Click here.

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
 :D

I bought a joe jedi kit for 34.85 last saturday at my local radio shack!! 8)

Offline bulldog

• Experienced Force User
That's about what they're going for here. For the price I've gotten #3 for my brother. This time I had to go outside of the Austin area, These thing are going fast!!!! Yep it sounds like the saber kits are the hot ticket and open a lot of doorsfor making personal hilts/sabers ;D
To know peace, one must have peace within.

Offline Mewgen

• Experienced Force User
So which rotary switch did you use exactly? Is it from Alliedelectronics? By Grayhill?

Also do you have a wiring diagram?

And this switch allows 8 different colors?

Sorry for the questions, just curious.

Offline LANDO CALRISSIAN

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
Mewgen

First If I have not welcomed you to the forum, Welcome.
Second I see you have not stopped by to read and sign the forum rule and regs, Please do so.http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=10747.0

Now to you questions:

So which rotary switch did you use exactly? Is it from Alliedelectronics? By Grayhill?
I don't have the part number handy, Yes, I believe so.

Also do you have a wiring diagram?
No, but it's not that hard. connect all three LED wires coming from the sound board connector(red,blue and green) to one of the common pins on the rotary switch. I first soldered the red,blue and green to a single wire then soldered that single wire to the rotary switch common pin. Then make whatever you want the switched pins to be. In other words one will go to the red Led, one to the blue Led and the last to the green Led. Makesure to use a 3 ohm resister on the red Led lead.

And this switch allows 8 different colors?
actuall seven and one position is off. Hoever you will get a total of 10 diffrent colors between the two diffrent sound selections. i.e. in Jedi you will see orange, purple and a light blue. In sith you will see Yellow, pink, and Cyan.

Hope that helps.

Lando

Offline Arnun

• No Force
Hi,
I'm new here and found this forum while doing a search for the kit you guys call the Joe Jedi. I have one I got at Radioshack and it ocurred to me I could mix the different colors; I see you have successfully done so, of course, but in my case, since I didn't know of this forum before, I thought "what the heck, I'll just remove the original switch and replace it with a DIP switch"... so it seems I've ruined the saber's board, the sound still works but I get no light whatsoever.
Would you guys know if I can buy a new board somewhere?
Thanks in advance!

Offline LANDO CALRISSIAN

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
Check this guy out. http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZkeops567
It's a whole kit but the price is right.

Lando

Offline Arnun

• No Force
Wow, that's a good price! Thanks, Lando  ;D

Offline MoonDragn

• Force User
Re: Grayven's MR FX Lightsaber Construction set (Joe Jedi) review ( pics Update)
« Reply #190 on: September 02, 2008, 01:34:50 PM »
Thanks for all the info, based on what you guys posted, and the specs for the existing tri-colored LED thats in there, it looks like the basic board will not drive a Luxeon. That means if I want to replace it with a Luxeon I should just gut out the existing stuff inside and replace it with a luxeon LED, driver and a battery pack.

1 ni-mh AA battery can put out 1800 mah. With 4 of these I can get the voltage up to 6 v and enough power to run a 700 ma Luxeon LED for 10 hours before needing to recharge.

How does the sound board work on these? Is it just a generic sound effect that sounds when turned on or does it make sounds when you swing it through the air?

Offline LANDO CALRISSIAN

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
Re: Grayven's MR FX Lightsaber Construction set (Joe Jedi) review ( pics Update)
« Reply #191 on: September 02, 2008, 07:07:33 PM »
If your familiar with any of the other MR FX sabers it makes the same sounds as the Jedi and the Sith sabers. When the RGB switch is in the R position the board uses the Sith sound for power up / down / swing and clash. When it is in ether the G or B position it uses the Jedi sounds files for power up / down / swing and the three different clashes. Hope that helps.

Lando

Offline MoonDragn

• Force User
« Reply #192 on: September 05, 2008, 10:32:17 AM »
After reading some more posts, it looks like other people have converted this thing to luxeon using the existing electronics, without taking out the sound board.

I just have one question, how durable is the existing blade on this thing? Can it be used for dueling?

If I want to switch it out with a dueling blade like the ones sold by ultrasabers, would it fit without any modifications or do I need some kind of adaptor?

I noticed an old post from you Lando, that mentioned you were thinking about converting it to a Tri-lux, was that ever successful?

PS: I had purchased this off ebay without really knowning how much it should cost, and as a result paid way too much for it ($70 +$20 shipping). I went to Radio Shack last night and found out I could have gotten them for $3 each a month ago when they were clearancing it out.... DOH!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 10:38:00 AM by MoonDragn »

Offline Novastar

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • NCSCS - Sabercombat.com
    • DIAMOND DRAGONS: Humans stand, heroes fall--but DRAGONS are *Forever*...
« Reply #193 on: November 07, 2008, 04:13:12 PM »
Existing blade is "thin-walled", and fine for most dueling applications.  However, if you're going to go INSANELY hard... you'd need a thick-walled one.

When dueling, never "mix" blade styles (in other words, dude #1 w/ thin wall, dude #2 w/ thick... they duel... the thin gets KILLED).  :)
* Former creator and owner of SaberCombat
* CUSTOM SOUND FONT LIST --->
Click here for Nova's 100+ custom sound fonts!
* PERFORMANCE HIGHLIGHTS ---> Click here for Nova's saber performance work...
* DIAMOND DRAGONS ---> Diamond Dragons: A feature-length screenplay being developed by Matthew 'Novastar' Carauddo

I don't post often on forums anymore.  If you want to e-mail me: novastar1138@gmail.com, or visit me on Facebook:

Click here.

Offline MoonDragn

• Force User
« Reply #194 on: November 10, 2008, 08:12:18 AM »
Heh heh Nova, thats an old question. In the month that I've been here I've already made my own dueling saber with a thick walled blade and put a MR sound board in it.

I decided not to mess with my Joe Jedi, since I did pay too much for it. But for a newbie that Joe jedi can probably fit inside a 1.5" sink tube and use a blade holder from TCSS. Then with a battle blade or the HG ultra blade it can withstand alot of dueling.

As you can see from the pic, I did use one of the plastic pieces from the joe jedi to build this saber.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 08:14:17 AM by MoonDragn »

retrousse