fiduciary

Author Topic: [Solved] Salvaged Board with LED Module on Accent Pad  (Read 423 times)

Offline nunya

• No Force
  • nothing personal
[Solved] Salvaged Board with LED Module on Accent Pad
« on: November 08, 2021, 07:34:33 PM »
Hello again.

I have a CFX 10.2 card with some compromised/fried power drivers/transistors (IRLML6244).  The sound works so I thought to salvage the card for the sound portion at least. 
I started toying with connecting a LED module to the accent LED pads but I am not seeing any voltage on those.  I set the LED file for the configuration to run with all pads on "forever" like this:
[LEDS]
accents=aaaaaaaa
accpulsed=90
accpulsel=1000

<forever>
delay=100
state=11111111
</forever>
All the LS pads are showing 0V when powered.  I suspect the power drivers are the reason I do not see any power on the Accent pads but...checking with the knowledge base here.
I want to make sure it is not a setting in a config file since it was defaulted to LED strip previously.

I hope to use the salvaged card to run a single LED module (green) so I can use the single button configuration to get smooth swing and blaster sounds at least with regular power on/off behavior on the LED.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 07:25:36 PM by nunya »

Offline erv

• Plecter Labs Inc. "Keeper of the Buttered Toast"
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Irvin PLECTER
    • Plecter Labs - Props Electronics
Re: [Solved] Salvaged Board with LED Module on Accent Pad
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2021, 10:45:09 PM »
why not replacing the drivers ? it's an easy job.
if you are powering the ledstrip thru the mos fets then it's normal that it's not lighting up but the LS output should output something but this is totally unrelated to your accents, which are possibly missing a ground return or the onboard resistors (or bridges)

Offline nunya

• No Force
  • nothing personal
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2021, 07:49:39 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply Erv!

Parts, skill, and time are the reasons.
I do not know where to acquire the parts or even what to use for the search (only noticed the part# after looking back again at the doc).
I am not sure I can get the current ones off and new ones on with my beginner experience.  I am willing to try but...I need to complete the build by the 2nd of December so now may not have enough time to get parts and make the repair.  Do I look for "IRLML6244" or something else?

I have a single LED module with classic resistor installed next to the module (no LED strip this time) so I was skipping over the part about installing a resistor on the accents. 
Your reply about bridging the accent pads made me consult the CFX bible again...page 28 says:
"The user can still use classic resistors (installed next to the accent LED), in this case the top footprint has to be bridged or shorted with a solder joint..."

I will try that next. 

Thanks for the guidance!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 07:51:14 AM by nunya »

Offline erv

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2021, 08:11:40 AM »
just use the ref and order them at mouser. Change the 4 MOS fets this way you don't have to worry about which are good or bad. Mouser ships within 24/48hrs

indeed, if you put an external resistor, you need to bridge the accent (top) SMD resistor footprint (0603 sized) to make the accent signal to the round pad nearby where you hooked your led wire.

keep us posted of your progress, you got this !

Offline nunya

• No Force
  • nothing personal
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2021, 10:37:42 AM »
Thanks! 
Parts ordered and on the way.
Confirmed bridging with solder works to light the LED using pad 1!  yay!
However, the light is visibly brighter when touching the LED positive to either of the 3.3V pads left of ground. 
The voltage measures the same on accent pad and 3.3v pads (around 3.28-9).
Do I need to bridge the bottom footprint of the same pad?  bridge goes all the way to the accent pad so maybe too much solder?  :grin:

LED negative is connected to ground pad [Accent LEDs Ground Return (common cathode)] with 2ohm 3w resistor installed in-line.

I will go slower on pad two and use some wire to bridge.

Offline nunya

• No Force
  • nothing personal
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2021, 07:24:14 PM »
I carefully soldered a piece of 20awg wire across the top footprint of pad 2 and observed the same result in terms of brightness. 
Since the voltage is identical as that of the steady and deep sleep 3.3v pads, I measured resistance between ground and the two pads.  The resistance difference is very large so the accent pad is not delivering the same amperage.  I know the document says 20mA but did not know the other pads would differ by much more.

I will have to wait for the power drivers and try lighting that way. 
Initial issue is resolved so closing out this one but will probably come back just to update either way.

Thanks erv!

Offline erv

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2021, 10:26:47 PM »
Thanks! 
Parts ordered and on the way.
Confirmed bridging with solder works to light the LED using pad 1!  yay!

awesome

However, the light is visibly brighter when touching the LED positive to either of the 3.3V pads left of ground. 
The voltage measures the same on accent pad and 3.3v pads (around 3.28-9).
Do I need to bridge the bottom footprint of the same pad?  bridge goes all the way to the accent pad so maybe too much solder?  :grin:

no bridging underneath, that's for the SMD bargraph. Accent pads deliver max 15-18mA. That's what a led use in general. Hooking to the 3.3V provides more current, but your resistor might be incorrect

Offline nunya

• No Force
  • nothing personal
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2021, 10:51:00 AM »

no bridging underneath, that's for the SMD bargraph. Accent pads deliver max 15-18mA. That's what a led use in general. Hooking to the 3.3V provides more current, but your resistor might be incorrect
I read further in the manual and was beginning to consider the same.  I cut the resistor out of the circuit completely and tested again - still dimmer on the accent pad than either 3.3v pad.

Offline erv

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2021, 11:43:01 AM »
like I said, the pad will LIMIT the current to the led

Offline nunya

• No Force
  • nothing personal
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2021, 11:16:12 AM »
I read you Erv.   :cool:
The limiter must be built into the board somewhere?  Can it be removed or is embedded and/or critical to other components?

I got the power drivers installed but they still do not show any voltage output.  Only two of the drivers show voltage input on one of the legs.  In the end, no change to previous state. 
The board is pretty messed up at this point so I am not sure I can salvage any further.

I have two options:
1. LED via accent pad = not a bright but allows for single button features
2. LED via 3.3V pad and Momentary/Latching Converter = brighter but limited sounds; not completely tested (still theory)

Wired up for option 1 but testing option 2 will commence soon. 

:grin:

Offline erv

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2021, 10:21:02 PM »
I read you Erv.   :cool:
The limiter must be built into the board somewhere?  Can it be removed or is embedded and/or critical to other components?

the MCU drives those pads

I got the power drivers installed but they still do not show any voltage output.  Only two of the drivers show voltage input on one of the legs.  In the end, no change to previous state. 
The board is pretty messed up at this point so I am not sure I can salvage any further.

the MOS aren't giving any voltage, they are mostly switches. You won't see any control with them until you wire a led to it (even an accent), common anode way (ie, cathode of the led returning to some of the L- pads of the MOS).

I have two options:
1. LED via accent pad = not a bright but allows for single button features
2. LED via 3.3V pad and Momentary/Latching Converter = brighter but limited sounds; not completely tested (still theory)
Wired up for option 1 but testing option 2 will commence soon. 
 :grin:

if you want more current, you can hook up a power extender to the accent pad, and power the high side from the battery
https://www.ew.fr/en/produit/power-extender/

Offline nunya

• No Force
  • nothing personal
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2021, 08:22:21 PM »
Thanks once again!  It was a no go on the MOS so used the accents and it works well enough.  I saw the power extender also on TCSS and will keep that in mind if needed in the future.
Closing this one out as successful!

Offline erv

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2021, 10:46:59 PM »
thank you !

retrousse