fiduciary

Author Topic: MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) Information For Sabers  (Read 26143 times)

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
  • Romans 3:20-26 As simple as it gets.
Re: MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) Information For Sabers
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2008, 09:49:32 PM »
I just pulled this off line.  AS a parent of a 2 year old my wife and I are careful what he touches and puts in his mouth.  New car smell and other smells from platics has been known for years.  If you can smell it most likely it is a toxin you are inhaling.  For what it's worth.  Enjoy the read.

PVC - The Poison Plastic

PVC (polyvinyl chloride) plastic, commonly referred to as vinyl, is one of the most hazardous consumer products ever created.  PVC is dangerous to human health and the environment throughout its entire life cycle, at the factory, in our homes, and in the trash.  Our bodies are contaminated with poisonous chemicals released during the PVC lifecycle, such as mercury, dioxins, and phthalates, which may pose irreversible life-long health threats.  When produced or burned, PVC plastic releases dioxins, a group of the most potent synthetic chemicals ever tested, which can cause cancer and harm the immune and reproductive systems.

New Car or Shower Curtain Smell?  The Smell of PVC

PVC is useless without the addition of a plethora of toxic additives, which can make the PVC product itself harmful to consumers.  These chemicals can evaporate or leach out of PVC, posing risks to children and consumers.  New car smell?  New shower curtain smell?  That’s the smell of poisonous chemicals off-gassing from the PVC.  One of the most common toxic additives is DEHP, a phthalate that is a suspected carcinogen and reproductive toxicant readily found in numerous PVC products.   Children can be exposed to phthalates by chewing on vinyl toys.  While it is still legal for US retailers to sell PVC children’s and baby toys containing dangerous phthalates, the European Parliament voted in July, 2005 to permanently ban the use of certain toxic phthalates in toys.   One EPA study found that vinyl shower curtains can cause elevated levels of dangerous air toxins, which can persist for more than a month.

Environmental Injustice

PVC plants are disproportionately located in low-income communities and communities of color, making the production of PVC a major environmental justice concern.  Communities surrounding vinyl chloride facilities suffer from groundwater and air pollution.  In 1999, the federal government measured dioxins in blood samples taken from 28 residents who lived near PVC facilities in Louisiana. The testing revealed the average resident has three times more dioxin in his/her blood than the average U.S. citizen.  Workers at PVC plants may face life-long health risks from exposure to cancer-causing vinyl chloride and other hazardous chemicals used to make PVC.  These health risks include angiosarcoma of the liver, lung cancer, brain cancer, lymphomas, leukemia, and liver cirrhosis.

Hazardous to Firefighters and Building Occupants

When heated in a building fire, PVC releases toxic hydrogen chloride gas, forming deadly hydrochloric acid when inhaled by firefighters and building occupants.  Firefighters face harmful occupational exposures when battling fires laden with PVC building materials and consumer products.  Building occupants may be killed from inhaling toxic PVC fumes before they are able to escape.  After September 11th, the EPA measured the highest ambient air concentrations of dioxins ever near ground zero, likely due to the combustion of PVC and other chlorinated materials.

A Contaminant to Recycling

PVC cannot be effectively recycled due to the many different toxic additives used to soften or stabilize PVC, which can contaminate the recycling batch.  Most consumers do not know that a 3 in the recycle symbol indicates that the plastic is made of PVC, and therefore recycle those products, inadvertently rendering thousands of potentially recycled containers useless.  In fact just one PVC bottle can contaminate a recycling load of 100,000 PET bottles.   Recycling of PVC is negligible, with estimates ranging from 0.1% to 3% of postconsumer PVC waste being recycled.

Safer, Healthier Alternatives are Readily Available

The good news is that safer, cost-effective, alternatives to PVC are readily available for virtually every use.  From safer plastics, to bio-based materials, there is a growing market replacing hazardous PVC products.  A growing list of companies have committed to phase out PVC products and switch to safer, healthier products.  Some of these companies include <!--[endif]--> Bath and Body Works, Honda, Ikea , Johnson and Johnson, Microsoft, Nike, Toyota, Victoria's Secret, and Wal-Mart. You can help build consumer demand for safer, healthier products by avoiding the purchase of PVC.  One way to be sure if the packaging of a product is made from PVC is to look for the number “3” inside or the letter “V” underneath the universal recycling symbol.  In addition, soft flexible plastic products that are made with PVC often have a distinct odor, such as vinyl shower curtains.  If you suspect that a product is made of PVC, contact the product manufacturer and ask them directly about the materials used in the product or packaging and your concerns about PVC.

Get Involved in the PVC Campaign!
Help Us Get the Poison Plastic Off Store Shelves

The Center for Health, Environment and Justice (CHEJ)’s BE SAFE network has launched a PVC campaign to encourage major companies to phase out their use of PVC and to support policies that phase out PVC.   We have already convinced Microsoft, Johnson & Johnson, Wal-Mart, Crabtree & Evelyn, Victoria’s Secret, and Bath and Body Works to phase out their use of PVC in their packaging!  We want to leverage these victories to build momentum for further commitments to safer products in the years to come.  We invite you to be part of this successful effort by being part of the campaign.

Offline darthmorbius

• Master Force User
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2008, 10:26:36 PM »
:o :o :o

Yikes...

I stand corrected...

No wonder you took off that armor Luke!

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2008, 11:00:05 PM »
Yeah my wife and I just went through all this with the sippy cups and baby bottles.  You have to check the bottoms for the letter codes.  Basically chemicals leach out especially when they go through the hot dishwasher.

Not sure about the armor, although I know when they mold it they have to heat it and those fumes ARE bad.  Most armor is made from ABS plastic not sure about that.   A searching I will go.

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2008, 11:38:27 PM »
Perhaps it should be considered that many of the potential adverse health implications that many critics have associated with PVC such as the dioxin issue are implicated in their PRODUCTION and DISPOSAL [including burning issues described] not in their simple consumer use per se.

Also it should be noted that the issue of ADDITIVES such as DEHP should not be conflated with unsafety of all PVC itself.

Outgassing as with shower curtains is a genuine concern with MANY 'new' plastic products which is why imo it may be a good idea to thoroughly 'air out' plastic products in a well ventilated space such as say a balcony before use in a bathroom and thoroughly washing plastic products etc before use...certainly that couldnt hurt eh? As for 'new car smell' dealers add that to cars because consumers expectations demand it as 'reassurance' the car really is 'new'...if we stop wanting that they'll stop cars having it.

Absolutely right about plastic food containers dishes and baby bottles which imo should be made of 'food grade' plastic only [look for a 1 0r 2 inside the triangle]...

...and speaking of baby bottles you may have heard on CNN today that the US FDA is reconsidering the safety of "hard plastic" water bottles and baby bottles in the wake of the Canadian governments announcement a couple days ago that they are considering labelling bisphenol-A as 'toxic"...

bisphenol-A is a compound found in the popular Nalgene brand water bottles and many other containers that are made of something also quite familiar and of particular interest to us saberfans:

POLYCARBONATE

I'm not suggesting saber blades are 'toxic' but I wouldnt want to eat one  ;) nor inhale the fumes during production nor while burning one either.

I'm simply pointing out that there are a LOT of potential risks with many chemicals widely available including but not limited to PVC and other plastics and we should all consider those calmly and each decide for ourselves which we really want to try and avoid.

But please realize theres no practical way we are going to avoid them all and in many cases the 'risks' are relative...for example any possible risks for the use of PVC water piping almost certainly could not compare with the serious risks of lead pipe [whose historical effect on ancient Roman civilization while perhaps overstated was probably real..the Romans though had other widespread 'bad' chemical uses including mercury and arsenic too so quantifying which brought down Rome is highly debatable lol] and what PVC piping has widely replaced in recent decades were copper pipes whose joints were often sealed with plumbers lead compounds [the word plumber actually is a reference to "plumb" metal or lead]...so on the whole PVC water pipes if not 'perfectly' safe may still be a lot safER than what came before and I doubt very much that handling my Ultrasabers with PVC pipe plastic handles is going to harm me before a lot of other things in the environment do me in much faster LOL

« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 11:44:20 PM by Onli-Won Kanomi »
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline JudgeSabersmith

• Kind of on haitus
  • Master Force User
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2008, 08:07:10 AM »
As with most consumer grade materials, the safety of them depends on how you use it.

ANYTHING, if ingested in large enough quantities or if you submerge yourself in it 24/7...can give you cancer.  Statistically speaking, if you live long enough, you WILL get cancer or some form or another.

For it's intended consumer and building uses, PVC is a safe material.  Does that mean it has absolutely NO risk?  No.  There's risk in everything you do.  What matters is acceptable risk.

The media in this country is ill-informed and they sensationalize things to a point that the public gets in a major twist about things that are really not quite as bad as they seem.  Take for instance asbestos.  You read the word and probably have a psychological reaction to it...because the media has told you it's bad.  Sure it is...if you get it airborne...and you inhale it...and you do so in large enough quantities over long enough periods of time (called the dose response).  I work around the stuff all day long.  I know how to be safe around it.  I also know how many people in my neck of the words are working in an area with a steam line insulated by asbestos are blissfully unaware...because the insulation is intact and doing its job.

Is PVC dangerous?  Certain types are not good for eating off of or drinking off of.  The manufacture gives off fumes.  Disposal is a pain.  Otherwise, with a bit of knowledge and some precautions, it is an acceptable material.

Offline darthmorbius

• Master Force User
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2008, 08:17:23 AM »
Yeah, my joke about the armor was not accentuated with a grin, I forgot.

Judge is correct, and if you look at PVC pipe, it does specify in print whether it is meant for waste lines of feed lines. That is definitely something you need to pay attention to when purchasing PVC. 

Also, I hate to say it, but a lot of reports like the one posted above are actually generated to scare people into buying other products, and are usually written by PR departments of large plastic companies when they are trying to push a certain type of product.  Dig deep enough into the sources of the studies, and you will expose the beast for what it is.

The Bottom line is that there is a risk factor with any man-made material, as they are almost all petroleum based. Even those that are considered "Bio-Friendly"  are guilty, because they have to be chemically processed.  Bio-Friendly, might as well mean the same chemicals in monitored quantity.

Offline Sidneyious

• Alias......Ninja of the Mist
  • Master Force User
    • Blog of my saber builds.
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2008, 08:29:10 AM »
My old home that I lived in for alomst 20 years of my life had asbestos on the vent pipes.

No health problems on that end of my health, If i get any cancer of any kind it will be from smoking cigs.

But lets not get on that casue I dont want to hear it. I get it enought from my mom as it is I dont need anyone else telling me smoking is bad for me.

Offline JudgeSabersmith

• Kind of on haitus
  • Master Force User
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2008, 08:39:19 AM »
No worries, Alias.  I'll defend you.  Fellow smoker here.  15 years, Marlboro red box, pack a day.

Offline Sidneyious

• Master Force User
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2008, 08:45:59 AM »
I used to smoke camel menthol wides for the longest time, now I roll my smokes, I dont smoke near as much. I used to smoke like 2 packs a day when I was working at a very stressfull job.

Yeah rolling is much cheaper but heres many tastfull loose tobbacos out there.

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2008, 08:46:53 AM »
My old home that I lived in for alomst 20 years of my life had asbestos on the vent pipes.

No health problems on that end of my health, If i get any cancer of any kind it will be from smoking cigs.

But lets not get on that casue I dont want to hear it. I get it enought from my mom as it is I dont need anyone else telling me smoking is bad for me.

Think of all the sabers you guys could buy if you stopped smoking.  A buddy of mine that I fly with smokes like crazy.  We sat down one day and calculated his cost.  Between him and his wife smoking and buying their DD coffee coolatas it came out to a Mercedes lease payment.  A freekin Mercedes!  :o  The friends I have that have quit smoking all said they feel so much more alive after quitting.  Now they can't even stand to be around smoke.

Offline Sidneyious

• Master Force User
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2008, 09:17:44 AM »
Iam working on it but I only spend about 2$ a week for my pouch of tobbaco.

Offline BIGGS DARKLIGHTER

• Formerly known as Heimidal
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Red 3 Standing By
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2008, 09:52:40 AM »
Since this is more or less on topic...

While I was in graduate school another lab had published a large study primarily using mice and rats in a behavioral study. This study ended up getting retracted from the journal it was published in.

Reason why?

Turns out the effects they thought they had weren't due to their own manipulations of the rodents.

The estrogen receptor agonist Bisphenol A was being leached into the rodent food when the rodent food dishes were being washed in a high temp dishwasher.

Here's the lowdown on the plastics. You are more or less safe using anything EXCEPT 3, 6, and 7 types. Types 2, 4, and 5 are considered the "best" for use. These problems listed mostly occur when the plastics are excessively heated, like in a microwave or in a dishwasher. Another thing to be noted is that there haven't been any great long term studies on the effects of these compounds on humans. There are very clear effects on animals though.

Type 1 - polyethylene terephthalate (PET)
May be safe if marked "microwave safe", although some recommend against food contact when microwaving. 

Type 2 - high density polyethylene (HPDE)
May be safe, although some recommend against food contact when microwaving. 

Type 3 - PVC, polyvinyl chloride, vinyl
Do not use in microwave. Also, PVC often contains bisphenol A 

Type 4 - Low Density Polyethylene (LDPE)
(mixed commentary regarding microwave safety) 

Type 5 - polypropylene
May be safe, although some recommend against food contact when microwaving. "Type 5" are the most commonly labeled "microwave safe". Despite this, I have observed "Type 5" containers with partially dissolved surfaces. 

Type 6 - Polystyrene, styrene, polystyrene foam
Not heat stable. Do not use in microwave.   Do not microwave food in a styrofoam container!   In addition to not being heat stable, polystyrene is a potential human carcinogen and usually contains bisphenol A. 

Type 7 - polycarbonate; "other" (can contain bisphenol A; most polycarbonate contains bisphenol A)
Do not use in microwave. (Note: Polycarbonate nursing bottles which have been boiled or washed more than 20 times or are badly scratched should be thrown out.) 

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Also known as Jay-gon Jinn!
  • JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Your focus determines your reality
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2008, 09:54:21 AM »
Just a comment about that "new car smell".....it isn't added by the dealers,  they smell like that on the assembly line,  too.  I know,  I build them....as a matter of fact I install most of the plastic trim on the right side of the Acadias,  Enclaves,  and Outlooks.  That smell comes right off the plastic parts,  mostly from the instrument panel,  though.  I could look and see if we have info on the plastic that is used in the panels.  Legally,  we have to have MSDS's for everything used in the plant,  so there must be something there.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 09:57:02 AM by Jay-gon Jinn »

Offline HAN SOLO

• Jedi/Alliance General aka FX-Sabers' "The Most Interesting Scoundrel"
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Meet my business parter. His name is DL-44.
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2008, 09:58:05 AM »
Wow,  not looking at a water bottle the same again. Now I should try to convince the rest of the househod of those little water bottles. But it has me thinking.....What about when I workout, what kind of bottle would I be looking for?

I don't smoke Alias, but I enjoy the odd Cuban from time to time. They're legal here. Just costly. ($50 a pop if yo want a have decent one :o)

Negotiator 007
More to follow.........

Offline Sidneyious

• Master Force User
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2008, 10:01:05 AM »
Iam not much of a cigar person, I like black and milds with the carboard removed from them. Brings out the flavor of the pipe tobbaco.

retrousse