fiduciary

Author Topic: Galaxys edge string blade  (Read 4383 times)

Offline Red Leader 4

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
Galaxys edge string blade
« on: August 02, 2019, 02:52:04 AM »
Hi everyone. I was watching this youtube video explaining how to swap the disney blade for a thicker one and i saw the string of leds inside the blade. Does anyone know what the name for these leds are? If you can buy them in a string like this and if you can get them in rgb form?

Offline Gallandro

• No Force
  • An elegant weapon, for a more civilized age.
Re: Galaxys edge string blade
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2019, 09:46:08 AM »
I'd call this a "plastic ladder" or a "framed ladder" style LED blade.  I remember back in 2015ish, there was someone producing these for hobbyists, but I don't know if they're still active.  It's definitely not a common thing like neopixel strips.  I think these are used in the licensed lightsabers, but they're specific to them, and not an off the shelf product.

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 07:34:34 PM »
I'm pretty sure it's just used for mass production.  "String blades" are very much a thing, and there are a number of ways people have made them, including RGB blades.

Offline Katarn

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2019, 08:43:13 PM »
I actually got one of the galaxies edge sabers from Disneyland a few weeks ago. Build process was very cool.

I'm not new to custom sabers and this is VERY similar to the MR 616 "Joe Jedi" from back in the day, but with some very nice updates.

I was wondering, since this a string or ladder, would it be possible to make a better, longer blade that is brighter and no dead spots by using NEOPIXEL?
I have done some shopping around and it looks like I could physically adapt a neopixel blade to the Disney saber.
BUT!
I have no idea how the controller card will react to a neopixel blade.

Long story short...
Anyone ever try running a neopixel blade off an old MR sound card???
Korbanth LS6 Hero PC 1.6 conversion by LDM (next best thing to the MkVI)
TCSS MHS #1 "Coppertop"
Vintage Graflex ANH

Offline Darth Chasm

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2019, 07:36:33 AM »
Pixels require coding and a data line to receive the proper information to work. This technology didn't exist in the time of MR boards and I highly doubt the Galaxy's edge electronics support it.

Offline Katarn

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2019, 08:33:53 PM »
That makes sense. So it really is like the 616 where it's just wired to ladder rgba for foc.
Even though the 616 had a single lux 3, this is where the difference is for the Disney saber since it uses a ladder.

So yeah I was misunderstood you cant run a neopixel just because its got rgb output.
Heh. Silly of me, I should know better.

Thanks for answering!
Korbanth LS6 Hero PC 1.6 conversion by LDM (next best thing to the MkVI)
TCSS MHS #1 "Coppertop"
Vintage Graflex ANH

retrousse