fiduciary

Author Topic: Something I've been working on....JGJSabers new ATS Sabers!  (Read 9185 times)

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Also known as Jay-gon Jinn!
  • JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Your focus determines your reality
What is an ATS Saber,  you may be asking?  Well it's an "Aluminum Tube Series" Saber built by yours truly!  These are relatively easy for me to build,  and are actually something I've been wanting to do but never got around to working on. I had the basic design in my head for over a year after having built CS-41 and thinking how easy it might be to build something like that using all aluminum tubing. I was also inspired by Eastern57's "Machining without Machines" topic after reading it and thinking I'd like to give it a shot someday. The recent parts shortages at TCSS were also part of my motivation to get something built, since my entry-level Padawan Series Sabers rely on MHS parts stacked on top of a 1 1/4" aluminum tube.

I currently have 4 of these on the bench,  with the first two staying with me as proofs of concepts:

The two sabers in the background are proofs of concept,  or prototypes....those will not be for sale,  I need to keep a couple of these for myself for reference as as display pieces.

These two are more likely the production style I would offer for sale when I have them:

Like the Padawan Series,  the ATS sabers are based on a 1.25" o.d. aluminum tube for the main hilt body,  with the rest of the pieces being 1.375" o.

The emitter sleeve has a simple angled cut and a thumbscrew to secure the blade:

At the front of the rear grip pieces on the "bottom" of the saber is where I plan to put the recharge ports on these:

By putting it there,  and making the speaker removable, it should be easy to access the SD card if the saber is equipped with a Crystal Shard. A R.I.C.E. port could also be placed right next to it.

Pommels/end caps:

The prototype ATS-001 uses a TCSS MPS Insert that is current press-fit inside a piece of the 1.125" o.d. tubing I used to make the blade sockets for three of these. This is just a simple 3/4" knock-out plug I found at Menard's in the electrical section. Sound vents could be drilled in the knockout,  or maybe around the outside of the pommel.

I only have one wired up right now,  ATS-001:

This particular one has a wet-sanded and polished finish that I don't think I'll want to do to all of these. As it is,  the unprotected finish will leave your hands black after handling the saber for extended periods:

Electronics in ATS-1 consists of an 18650 3400mAh cell, an MR Yoda Force FX sound board and a blue Luxeon Rebel:

ATS-2 is built a little differently...it uses a TCSS 1.18" blade socket and a 1.25"tube with a 1.18" i.d. This one needed to have the outside of the blade socket sanded until it would slide smoothly into the main hilt tube. It also features grip cut slots in the rear grip section:

It also uses a 3/4" knock-out plug as the end cap:

I had to bend the tabs outward on this one to get it to fit,  but it's on there.  A small precision screw driver is required to remove these things,  but they are much less expensive that using the TCSS MPS inserts. (I'd still use those if someone wanted it,  though.  :wink: ) This one I plan on keeping for myself.

Here you can see the difference in the blade sockets...ATS-1 is on the right,  ATS-2 on the left:

I would just use the 1.18" blade holders,  but they add about $10 to the overall cost and require a different I.D. hilt tube that 1.1" o.d. speakers just don't fit in quite as well and would require having a custom made speaker mount done.

Pricing for these is still being worked on,  and I'd like to have a few of these available for sale in the coming weeks. ATS 3 & 4 may be ready next week,  or possibly this weekend. I'll add these to my build log as soon as I get one of them wired up.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 05:38:29 PM by QUI-GON JINN »

Offline Wilbur

• Padawan Learner
  • Um...Hello?
Re: Something I've been working on....JGJSabers new ATS Sabers!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 05:54:33 PM »
my made from scratch saber uses the 1.375 tubbing and i think its the perfect size! I enjoyed making it but it took me forever and I still didn't get some looks the way I wanted.  About how long does it take you to put one of these together?

Offline Forgetful Jedi Knight

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • The old Jedi Master also commonly known as FJK
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 05:55:01 PM »
Nice work. Congrats and good luck!

May the force be with you all!

Remember... speak softly and carry a well constructed light saber! :)

How "Freedom of Speech" works:  you have the freedom to say whatever you want, BUT you also have the freedom to suffer whatever consequences your actions or words dictate

Offline MasterAddison

• Experienced Force User
  • Do you like sand?
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 06:21:55 PM »
Love the design

Offline Pfockerchief

• Master Force User
  • (Fa-ker-chief)
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 07:54:54 PM »
Very sleek and clean looking.
Yoda Vintage GFIV, GFV
LDM Obi Bronzium Reveal
LDM MKVI ROTJ PC2 V2 #27
SP/LDM Sid
SJ Obi Romans Reveal
GCS CF6 CEX Asc#14/PC2 Asc AE/Custom Badaxx
OR Adi-Galia CF6
VV Luke Hero/Tempest/Wraths

Offline Caine

• Kwai Chang Caine master of duel-fu
  • Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 08:54:37 PM »
NICE!! As one of your OG clients, I am VERY happy to see you roll these out.

Offline Vercify

• Master Force User
  • rawr
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 09:54:01 PM »
Lovely design - I particularly like the shroud work. Reminds me a lot of LDM's Commando sabers. I built one of those and it was extremely comfortable for spinning and dueling. I'm sure these are equally as suited for those uses. Great work!

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 11:23:51 PM »
Nice! Has the no-frills, no-nonsense clean and efficient design of a saber meant for using along with its sleek and shiny good looks. BRAVO!
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2016, 06:10:44 AM »
my made from scratch saber uses the 1.375 tubing and i think its the perfect size! I enjoyed making it but it took me forever and I still didn't get some looks the way I wanted.  About how long does it take you to put one of these together?
Just fabricating the empty hilt takes a couple of hours. There's a lot of sanding involved to get the raw aluminum tubes to have a presentable finish,  especially after adding the grip marks. The method I use for those is the same one I've been using for over 9 years,  a tubing cutting that just leaves a small cut in the aluminum,  just deep enough to be visible.  After that,  though,  the material removed from the cut builds up on either side of the cutting wheel and needs to be smoothed out after. 

Lovely design - I particularly like the shroud work. Reminds me a lot of LDM's Commando sabers. I built one of those and it was extremely comfortable for spinning and dueling. I'm sure these are equally as suited for those uses. Great work!
They are very comfortable for spinning, I took one (ATS-1) to my trailer I have at a campgrounds and walked around the park with it and it was easy to spin. Got a lot of looks from the other campers as well.  :wink:

NICE!! As one of your OG clients, I am VERY happy to see you roll these out.
Thanks Caine! 

Offline Darth Chasm

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2016, 04:17:03 PM »
Awesome. Great work Jay. Good luck.

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2016, 04:56:23 PM »
I may have to a little more revising of the basic design,  getting two buttons installed isn't as simple as i thought it would be. I may have to go with 2 12mm av buttons on these,  and make a plate to mount them to.

Offline Kappy79

• Force User
  • "...." - Luke Skywalker ,TFA
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2016, 12:12:54 AM »
Those look really nice. I really like the grip part on #2

A local guy here in San Diego started making similar stuff a few months ago. Seems like a great alternative to MHS.

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2016, 11:08:16 AM »
Made a video of these for my youtube channel after installing a CS 2.5 in one of the "production" models: JGJSabers New ATS Series - YouTube

Offline Johannes Huber

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2016, 12:03:26 PM »
Beautiful and inspiring design!

Offline Wildcard

• Master Force User
  • This is an ex-parrot.
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2016, 09:34:22 AM »
These designs look great, (I'm leaning toward ATS-2 as my favorite), and I hope that your ATS offerings flourish!

Are you considering variants with your famous brass shrouds?  :wink:

retrousse