fiduciary

Author Topic: Schtok NPXL V3 pcb leds not working correctly at end of LS2 data line (SOLVED)  (Read 449 times)

Offline saberslob756

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
Hello there!

I've wired up the following in series (data line) to the LS2 pad on the CFX - TCSS Pixel ring switch to 2nd TCSS pixel ring switch to 10 segment 3.5mm accent led strip to Schtok NPXL V3 hilt side PCB. The total number of LEDs in the string total 28, set accordingly in the config file. I'm using bmp images with the new Grafx pixel sequencer to drive the colors and patterns.  The 2 switches and 10 segment led strip are working perfectly.  However, the LEDs on the Schtok PCB are showing the correct color, but are barely lit and in a constant on state (should be blinking).  The TCSS pixel switches both have a 330 ohm resistor installed in the switch, and the Schtok NPXL pcb is wired according the manual in V4 configuration (330 ohm resistor on the R2 pads, no resistor on R1, no jumper on D2).  The main blade is working fine.  Can anyone help?  Is the 330 ohm resistor on the Schtok PCB too much for the incoming signal?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

P.S. I tried attaching the wiring diagram, but it won't let me, guess I'm too new.  I can email the diagram or photos to someone if that will help. Thanks again.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 01:18:56 PM by saberslob756 »

Offline erv

• Plecter Labs Inc. "Keeper of the Buttered Toast"
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Irvin PLECTER
    • Plecter Labs - Props Electronics
without your config or pictures it's hard to comment on anything. I would rule out the switch pixel by using another type of pixel, spare / leftover from a ledstrip, and check the width of your BMP

Offline saberslob756

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
Thank you so much for taking time to look into this!

Please see link below to my wiring diagram.  Both pixel switches and the 10 segment led strip are working great.  I double checked the bmp image and it's exactly 28 pixels wide, so it's good.  There's a 26 awg wire running from the signal pad at the end of the 10 segment led strip to the D2 pad on the Schtok pcb. The Schtok pcb leds are just barely lighting up (correct color), but constant on instead of adhering to the blinking pattern in the bmp.

FYI, I tried removing the 330 ohm resistor on the R2 pads on the Schtok pcb and jumping the pads with solder, but that caused it to misbehave. A few of the leds just lit up bright white and several others were just random colors. I'm wondering if the resistor value should be something other than 330 ohm?

« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 07:53:54 PM by saberslob756 »

Offline saberslob756

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
Here's a couple of photos of what the LEDs look like.  The color is correct, but they are very dim, unevenly lit, and constant on.  They are supposed to be blinking according to the bmp pattern.

Offline saberslob756

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
Hey I just wanted to give a quick update on this in case anyone else runs into the same issues. It turns out the Shtok NPXL V3 PCB was defective.  I discovered this by routing the main blade data line to the D2 pad and soldering the jumper as described in the Shtok manual for a series configuration.  The onboard LEDs just wouldn't work correctly and the signal to the main blade was corrupted.  Replacing the Shtok PCB fixed the problem.  Also, i rerouted the LS2 data line so that it goes from pixel switch 1 to pixel switch 2 to the D2 pad on the Shtok PCB, then ran the final signal wire from the top jumper pad on the PCB (being very careful not to actually connect the jumper, as this would interfere with the main blade signal) to the signal pad of the 10 segment LED strip.  This configuration works beautifully and allows for the coordination of all of these elements using bitmap images with the GrafX Pixel Sequencer from the LS2 pad on the CFX. 

Offline erv

• Plecter Labs Inc. "Keeper of the Buttered Toast"
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Irvin PLECTER
    • Plecter Labs - Props Electronics
very nice you were able to troubleshoot and fix it !

retrousse