fiduciary

Author Topic: Impressions on my first saber  (Read 8297 times)

Offline Buzaow

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
Impressions on my first saber
« on: November 22, 2006, 02:26:54 PM »
   First of all, thanks for all the info. This place really convinced me to get an fx saber and helped me choose. I just about read all the review topics before making my mind which settled on Obi Wan ROTS.
   Now I have no frame of reference to compare this saber to the others as I have never really tried them aside from the shop. I don't know if this ones the best or the worst but I'll tell you what I think about it.

I bought it in a collectors star wars shop in Paris, yes i'm french, for 130euro. That's not cheap but xxx the guy over there showed me the dark sidious hilt, a huge yoda statue, explained some extened universe stuff and dueled me with a bunch of fx's. I spend an hour in there. Priceless.
   Anyway, i got back home with my first saber, Obi Wan ROTS. Turned the thing on and was dissapointed. This saber's blade isn't a big deal in the sunlight. So I locked myself in the bathroom and gave it another chance. You get your money's worth in the dark. The light is so intense it still suprises me. The colour is a darker blue than the movies and there's no white core. Just a sky blue indigo neon looking thing. But that'a good enough. The dreaded dark spot is barely visible to me. Once I got it swinging all around it was of the coolest effect. Greater than my expectation.
   I didn't pay much attention to the sound until i got around pulling the curtains of my room and battling shadows ( i'm 18 by the way). The "on sound" is perfect, synchronised with the progressive LED lighting and all. So is the "off sound". But I remain a bit dissapointed by the motion detectors and the associated sounds. Not that it's to sensitive, on the contrary sometimes the saber doesn't react and a full swipe is silent or a quick "zioon" opposed to a lond "ziiiiiiooooooonnn". Also the idle hum is too loud compared to swooshing sounds and I find muffles them. The clashing sounds on the other hand are crisp and loud. A slight hit is enough for them to go off and the urge to bash surroundings is irresistible.
   I turned the saber off to rest my wrist. The weight isn't overwhelming it's just not light. Then again that feel of wielding something and not a "toy's r us" gadjet is quite rewarding. I have no idea what a well balanced sword is but to me this saber spins perfectly. And buttons don't get in the way like some imparactical looking fx's. The power switch is located lower than my hand(s) that wraps around the black metal grip and the gold and copper part. Some bits do tend to scratch my hands though.
   The guys at master replica did neglect confort, wanting the lightsaber to ressemble the movies.  The  imitation work is good.  Obi Wan's fx is like the real thing just  a bit bulkier. Needless to say, it looks cool. The metal is cut smoothly, no dents or wierd bits. The whole hilt looks like it could take a few beatings. It really feels meaningful.
   But now after a 5 days of wielding and no duels, the fx doesn't seem very durable. I read somwhere that the  Obi Wan blade was firmly attached to the hilt, well mine already wobbles a bit ( a tiny bit) and i can hear when i curve a swing an occasional cracking sound which i guess is the glue tearing off. I haven't tried duelling, well once with my little broom wielding sister but that doesn't count. The polycarbonate blade seems up to the challenge, that is if your opponent is a 12 year old girl. I wouldn't try power cleaving myself through a grown mans block with this saber though. Also I don't know anything about LED ageing but I trust master replica did as good a job as most of the rest.

Overall I am satisfied. The general look of the saber is great and once you've turned it on in the dark it's awesome. The sounds are good, eventhough i was expecting more, having seen some footage on youtube. You can't go wrong buying one of these. There's a genuine jedi feel to it. I'm  still saving up for a luxeon conversion in case the blade dies on me.
   So true. Once you get own, you just want another....

The guy at the store told me a detachable blade vader fx was coming out in 2007, having never heard of it anywhere i'm not sure what to think.

Offline Dark Skywalker

• formerly known as Dark Skywalker
  • Master Force User
Re: Impressions on my first saber
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 02:38:06 PM »
Welcome to the site, Good review ;) Glad the site helped you make a good desicion

Nothing Is Impossible

Offline robiwan

• Banned
  • Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 03:06:20 PM »
Welcome to the baords. Yeah, they're not made for sunlight, lol. In the dark is were they realy shine (forgive the pun). I have the Obi-Wan as well and love the blade. Compared to the Luke ROTJ, the Obi-Wan ways a ton!. Now, get some Sith in ya!
Disrespectful and Condescending to Staff.

Offline Darth Bane

• Experienced Force User
    • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darth_Bane
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 03:38:51 PM »
welcome these sabers are addicting....

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 03:41:29 PM »
Welcome to the forums!! Congrats on your first fx- and I'm sure there  will be more! Great review! I've got an obi-wan and I love it. Soon I'm getting an ultra obi-wan fx- and I'll post pics when I recieve it. DaJoQuim

Offline Jaden Korr

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2006, 08:06:41 PM »
Congrats on your first saber! Many are sure to follow. I started with an Ani ROTS and well.............look below.

As for the detachable bladed Vader in 07, that is ALL speculation at this point, many believe the new FX-Q line is detachable blades, BUT at this point we just dont know. Personally i wouldnt hold your breath on it. I dont think detachable blades are on MR's agenda.

Offline Jedi Kure

• Experienced Force User
  • And you will learn your place young one.
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2006, 10:03:34 PM »
Excellent choice on the Obi ROTS FX IMO is the best and most well balanced FX thus far. (excluding the Full Bladed Darth Maul) When weilding it you can't help but feel the dark force flow through you.  ;)
"This Weapon Is Your Life"

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2006, 06:12:16 AM »
Yes with the maul I've felt the force flow though me. It's wicked. DaJoQuim

Offline Buzaow

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2006, 09:38:29 AM »
Thanks,

Soon I'm getting an ultra obi-wan fx- and I'll post pics when I recieve it. DaJoQuim

I'd be interested in seeing those. I think I'll upgrade this saber first before getting a new one. The darkside is tempting but I'd rather wait for the release of a new saber than get an older generation Darth Vader or half a maul  saberstaff. 

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2006, 09:45:45 AM »
I'll tell you this; if you ever get a maul fx get the full double . I think this saber is the coolest that I've ever seen!!I don't know anything on the shipping where you live;but, in the states on e-bay they are selling for 129.00 + shipping and on masterreplicas they are selling for 169.00.May the force be with you always.DaJoQuim

Offline Lord Clueless

• Force User
  • Saber Lord
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2007, 09:19:41 PM »
All we need r some pics!

Offline levelnext

• formerly known as levelnext
  • Master Force User
  • you are what you is
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2007, 07:51:05 AM »
Buzaow:

welcom to the boards!  and congrats on you new Obi ROTS saber.  Remember that the circuit holding the leds inside of the tube sometimes moves inside it.  So perhaps that's the sound you hear when you spin you saber.  anyway, i hope you enjoy it as much as the members here do and that you dont stop at 1 and get more sabers!

On a mission to constantly annoy C3PO!

--:CLICK HERE TO SEE MY COLLECTION:--

Offline Jedi Knight Logan

• MASTER OF THE HURRICANE FLURRY
  • Master Force User
  • "Have lightsaber, will travel....."
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2007, 09:55:01 AM »
Welcome to the boards! I see another saber in your future... :)

"A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack..."

Offline Jedi Tom

• Padawan Learner
  • Twisted by the dark side young Skywalker is.
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2008, 01:49:16 PM »
Welcome to the site, i hope you will enjoy is as much as i have

retrousse