fiduciary

Author Topic: Feedback for Machine FX / tattoosby5 cookiemonster8777/MachinedFX/Holocron  (Read 19182 times)

Offline DARTH MAUL

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • At last we shall have our revenge....
Interesting feedback. Personally I own around 15 different sabers from tatoosby5 off of ebay and all of them are exacrly as pictured and delivered to my home within a reasonable time.  I even got a discount from him having purchased so much of his work. I wonder why you all have had such negative experiences?

Probably the fact that he didn't deliver sabers that were paid to many people and started selling them on ebay instead. No matter what I hear after that could never convince me to purchase from a crook.

Offline OBI-WAN KENOBI

• Resident Negotiator
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • You don't want to sell me death sticks.
I wonder why you all have had such negative experiences?

Because none of the thefts (at least the later ones) occurred ON eBay.  People were robbed of their money on various forums (such as Rebelscum), as such, it was easier to scam people, take their hard-earned money, and not deliver what was promised.  Machined-Defects actually use to have his own eBay account, but it was shut down years ago due to excessive negative feedback from shafted buyers.  Tattoos is a proxy seller for Machined-Defects (as several feedbacks above have already indicated), since he can no longer sell himself, being an eBay deadbeat and all.  Also, Tattoos is VERY, VERY well-aware of the whole situation, yet continues to sell these sabers anyway.  Furthermore, although there's no concrete evidence of it, there was some talk at one point that they are actually the same person.  Either way, these people are internet thieves and con artists, despite what Tattoos' eBay feedback currently shows (and despite your pleasant experiences).
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 09:47:08 PM by OBI-WAN KENOBI »

Offline Arizae

• Padawan Learner
I'm pretty new to eBay and sabers. Not knowing much I started to bid on one of his (wish I had seen this thread first). After some conversation with him I received this message

"Well, how bout I make it easier on all of us and just sell you one outright through paypal? I will retract the bid on the Zayne. Then you send $149.99 as a gift to Monster_Ink_Tattoos@yahoo.com via paypal and we will get her out to you a.s.a.p. Whast do you think?"

I might still end up with that Zayne saber, but there is no way I was up for this deal. Seemed a bit shifty to me. Maybe I'm being paranoid, but I'm glad I found this feedback thread before considering this offer.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 09:50:13 PM by Arizae »

GCS Krayt Bone 2

Offline hullbreach

• Master Force User
  • Too dangerous to be kept alive
I might still end up with that Zayne saber, but there is no way I was up for this deal. Seemed a bit shifty to me. Maybe I'm being paranoid, but I'm glad I found this feedback thread before considering this offer.

So you haven't gone through with this deal yet? If that's the case ... DON'T !!! I say this as someone who's been ripped off by this loser. I'd even suggest you forget buying his wares through any venue, including ebay. His stuff looks nice in pics, but it's of sub-standard quality. Check out our resident sabersmiths. Whatever Steve, aka tattoosby5, aka, machinedFX, aka conceptpropsinc, aka aka aka ... our guys can do better  ;)

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
WHOA...he asked you to complete the transaction 'outside' the usual EBay/PayPal system using GIFT??? :o

People here do sometimes use the PayPal 'gift' option for saber or parts 'runs' from reputable 'resident smiths' here because we know each others good reps on the forums and with the Guild/Mining Colony system rules so using the 'personal' and/or 'gift' options with PayPal can help good smiths bring good runs forward since we as multiple buyers can absorb the PayPal costs individually rather than having them all land on the smith where they can quickly add up over large 'runs'. Its part of our 'community spirit' here in this hobby and I feel 'safe' using it with sabersmiths here under the rules of the system here.

But I would STRONGLY suggest you avoid that with sellers on EBay...that any seller actually ASKED you to do that should have big RED ALERT klaxons ringing loudly in your mind and it sounds like maybe it did. "...easier on ALL of us..." for only YOU to give up your buyer protection under PayPal? Ummm riiiiight...it would certainly make 'something' "easier" all right but not something you'd want to happen to you.  >:(

Caveat Emptor and Cave Canem. Protect yourself.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 10:35:06 PM by Onli-Won Kanomi »
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline OBI-WAN KENOBI

• Resident Negotiator
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • You don't want to sell me death sticks.
Hullbreach and Onli-Won are right on target.  Avoid avoid avoid this seller.  In fact, I'm tempted to report him to eBay just for asking you to do that.  ::)  He's not worth the time, though.

You did the right thing by not biting on that so called offer, good for you!

Offline Chowser

• Master Force User
  • Greetings Program!
I highly suggest you report him to ebay and send them a copy of the message he sent you asking you to circumvent ebay and paypal fees. that might be enough for them to do something to his account. or at least start a case file.

Offline Arizae

• Padawan Learner
Thanks for all the advice. Definitely won't be giving any of my money to this guy, was just able to get that bid taken away. That is the last time I do business with someone outside of this community. I reported the message to ebay and hopefully they can do something so others don't get taken advantage of.

GCS Krayt Bone 2

Offline Answer348

• No Force
There are a couple of issues here. First of all, it's relatively common for large forums like FX-Sabers to have buying and selling that involves gift payments to avoid Paypal fees. Frankly, I don't think it's fair or responsible no matter the context and no matter the reputation of the seller, but I have done it a few times because it's simply how certain people operate. That being said, when a seller operates through eBay, they should not ever deviate from that, and you should never agree to purchase something outside of eBay. It would be easy enough for him to create a listing specifically for you to sell you the item.

The other issue involves the history regarding tattoosby5. It sucks that so many people on this forum lost money to MachinedFX, but that happened before my time, so I can't comment on it. I've recently become interested in the Starkiller saber sold by tattoosby5, so I went about contacting about 15-20 recent customers. The overwhelming response among these customers was being impressed and happy with their purchases (this includes Starkiller himself, Sam Witwer). If you're really interested in what he's selling, simply buy it through eBay, which gives you all kinds of protections against fraud.

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
If folks in a hobby community use those PayPal "personal" tab options sending money for parts runs offered on forums EBay/PayPal still gets paid - it just gets paid fees by each of us individually instead of all landing on the back of the one person offering the run, which seems fair imho. That's quite a different thing from a EBay seller contacting an EBay bidder to offer cancelling the bid and to do a 'outside' transaction which actually does seek to "avoid" paying EBay/PayPal fees imo.

As for the recent satisfied customers I am happy for them. When this seller was just starting out I was one of them and even gave his original Revan saber [the one in the pic on thelightsaber.com] a generally positive review and him good feedback because at that time it was accurate to do so. I have since come to suspect based on others observations that I 'got lucky' buying the first type-example of that model; I give him due credit that he can make a good saber and that the first one of any model which he uses for pics in ALL subsequent sales is like a 'hero' prop but the subsequent production examples may well not be up to the same standard. I am hardly surprised that at least one Starkiller hilt he made for a 'star' like Sam Witwer was one of the 'good ones'...he'd want to make sure that one was eh? But was it typical? On the basis of my own early positive experience with another "good one" I recommended him and later felt almost as if I'd been 'made a liar' when other members here reported being 'ripped off' in the various ways reported herein. "fool me once..." etc etc eh? *cues The Who music* "We don't get fooled AGAIN..."

One thing I'd therefore hasten to point out to any prospective bidder is that the saber YOU receive [if you do] will most likely NOT be the nice-looking one in the EBay pics, unless perhaps it just might happen to be the first of a brand new model. So please take that into consideration.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 01:22:11 PM by Onli-Won Kanomi »
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline Plane Crazy

• Experienced Force User

The other issue involves the history regarding tattoosby5. It sucks that so many people on this forum lost money to MachinedFX, but that happened before my time, so I can't comment on it. I've recently become interested in the Starkiller saber sold by tattoosby5, so I went about contacting about 15-20 recent customers. The overwhelming response among these customers was being impressed and happy with their purchases (this includes Starkiller himself, Sam Witwer). If you're really interested in what he's selling, simply buy it through eBay, which gives you all kinds of protections against fraud.

I'm curious about the Sam Witwer part. IIRC that particular saber was one made by Machined Defects, was it not? Or did he buy another from tattoosby5? I seem to recall reading about that On the Rebelscum forum when this all started...

Offline JANGO FETT

• Owner of Kilsythe Customs
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
    • Youtube channel
There are a couple of issues here. First of all, it's relatively common for large forums like FX-Sabers to have buying and selling that involves gift payments to avoid Paypal fees. Frankly, I don't think it's fair or responsible no matter the context and no matter the reputation of the seller, but I have done it a few times because it's simply how certain people operate. That being said, when a seller operates through eBay, they should not ever deviate from that, and you should never agree to purchase something outside of eBay. It would be easy enough for him to create a listing specifically for you to sell you the item.

Actually the unofficial rule of thumb is that it is up to the buyer to determine their level of protection.

Here are the payment terms most use on this site.
Money orders and paypal are preferred methods of payment.

* Money orders must clear the banking system and authenticity checks before your item is shipped
    * Paypal
          o Personal payment type, payment owed. no fees or buyer protection from paypal.
          o Purchase payment type. You will have buyer protection, but a 4% surcharge will be added to your total.

It's like buying insurance when you ship an item. It's not required to get the item where it's going, but there are safeguards in case it does not get there.

If you want to have paypal buyer protection, due to being new or the seller is inexperienced add the 4%.

Have you heard the tragedy of Mark Hamill the Wise?

My thoughts and prayers to the padawans of Coruscant - Master Jeselnik

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
These same sabers have been made by one maker and sold under several names over the years. MachinedFX is one name, tattoosby5 was another name used for those same sabers...it is not entirely clear to me if they are all one and the same person or if the actual maker whoever he/she/they may be is using another person(s) as an 'agent'(s) to sell his sabers on EBay. So the one Witwer got is from the same ultimate source as the ones people here have complaints about.

Offline Answer348

• No Force
These same sabers have been made by one maker and sold under several names over the years. MachinedFX is one name, tattoosby5 was another name used for those same sabers...it is not entirely clear to me if they are all one and the same person or if the actual maker whoever he/she/they may be is using another person(s) as an 'agent'(s) to sell his sabers on EBay. So the one Witwer got is from the same ultimate source as the ones people here have complaints about.

When I was going through tattoosby5's recent feedback, one of the members I contacted had the eBay name of "switwer". It took me a little time to figure out that switwer was likely Sam Witwer.

Also, I e-mailed tattoosby5 about getting some more pictures of the Starkiller, and it appeared as though he forwarded along pictures from another e-mail. I would wager that he's not the producer, but simply the seller. Also, he tended to use the pronoun "we" a lot, suggesting a partnership of some kind.

Offline JANGO FETT

• Owner of Kilsythe Customs
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
    • Youtube channel
In luke's post there is a link to rebel scum, that has Tattosby5 admitting he is MachineFX.

http://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=3661414&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=2&vc=1

ateck wrote:
ok i did find it i saved it

Dear ateckimateck,

I am machinedfx...This is the new starkiller that we are making. the old one that was undersold for $140.00 is no longer available. this is the only way you can get one now...period...fighting over it on Ebay and you just shot down you chance to own your own on an outside auction that will never be offered again...Good day.
- tattoosby5

I have copies of this email, if you need further proof.

Have you heard the tragedy of Mark Hamill the Wise?

My thoughts and prayers to the padawans of Coruscant - Master Jeselnik

retrousse