fiduciary

Author Topic: Fake Mara Jade Bars  (Read 5574 times)

Offline ARKM

• Master Force User
Fake Mara Jade Bars
« on: April 05, 2009, 05:01:45 PM »
Hi all, I am currently working on a saber hilt that has Mara Jade-ish bars.  Instead of making 10 to 12 bars that are 5/16 to 3/8" wide by 1/16" to 1/8" thick (you can't buy thin flat metal bars at those widths folks... at least not that I could find) I decided to try something different... make them fake.  Below are pics and a tutorial on how to make them should anyone be interested.  First, the pics...

1/32 of an inch, from the ID of the pipe outward (which is between where the gaps between the bars come together in the point of a "V" and the inside hole going through the pipe), will be covered by the parts that attach to each end of that pipe thus helping to create the illusion that they are bars attached to a pipe via screws and not part of the pipe itself.

To pull off the illusion that the bars are mounted to round metal, I had to make it look like the bottom edges of the bars touch eachother.  To do this I used a 60 degree drill mill bit to mill each slot.  I used aluminum pipe at 1-5/8" OD by 1-3/8" ID and milled each slot at about 3/32" deep.  Because that only leaves the pipe at 1/32" deep, I decided to reinforce the pipe by lathing down some 1-1/2" OD by 1-1/4" ID aluminum tubing to 1-3/8" OD.  I inserted the pipe before milling the slots to help prevent crushing of the pipe in the vise once some of the slots were milled.

Using the OD of pipe that I did, 12 bars worked best.  They are each about 5/16" wide on top.

A nice upside to this method is that the bars are curved on the outside instead of flat, thus providing a more comfortable grip.  Anywho, just thought I'd share this idea with you.

Offline darth_call

• Master Force User
Re: Fake Mara Jade Bars
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 05:08:13 PM »
This makes me wish I had a mill!

Great job ARKM!

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Also known as Jay-gon Jinn!
  • JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Your focus determines your reality
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 05:12:06 PM »
This must be the saber you mentioned in your topic about the indexer!  They look good! 

Offline hullbreach

• Master Force User
  • Too dangerous to be kept alive
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 05:25:24 PM »
ingenious solution, looks great.

Offline Jasher Kain

• Master Force User
  • A Knight of the Old Republic
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 06:11:28 PM »
Real ingenious! And it looks great! Those individual bars really are a PITA.  :P

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 06:16:26 PM »
Nice!  Arm on Fire had designed a concept part several months ago exactly like it.  It's a nice alternative to the individual grip pieces. 

Facebook: VVFB

Offline ARKM

• Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 06:50:23 PM »
Nice!  Arm on Fire had designed a concept part several months ago exactly like it.  It's a nice alternative to the individual grip pieces. 

He did?  Well he does make some pretty awesome sabers so I'm not really all that surprised that he beat me to it (dang it).  :)

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 07:43:08 PM »

He did?  Well he does make some pretty awesome sabers so I'm not really all that surprised that he beat me to it (dang it).  :)

Sorry :-[  Still, you did a terrific job!  It's a nice piece :)

Facebook: VVFB

Offline HAN SOLO

• Jedi/Alliance General aka FX-Sabers' "The Most Interesting Scoundrel"
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Meet my business parter. His name is DL-44.
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 07:49:55 PM »
NICE! 8)

And the nice thing about these "fake bars" is they will be smoother to the grip. That's pretty cool, ARKM.

Negotiator 007
More to follow.........

Offline cannibal869

• I dub thee Darth..........Lecter.
  • Master Force User
  • NUCLEAR POWERED JEDI at work!!!
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 10:23:55 AM »
that

is

pretty

pimp! ;D

Good solution! Man... I wish I had a mill too.. and a lathe... and an actual workshop to put everything in...
I'm sure my fiancee wishes I had a workshop too so she could have the dining table back.

retrousse