fiduciary

Author Topic: saber carrying case tutorial  (Read 10304 times)

Offline Darth_Baleful

• Master Force User
saber carrying case tutorial
« on: January 12, 2009, 12:49:25 AM »
helooo evrybody.. the title is kinda self explanitory :P but i wanted to share with you how to make a saber carrying case that i designed. and forgive me if this in the wrong place. but it is saber related after all, and its custom. so i figured here would be alright.

here we go  ;D

materials

-some kind of case.. attache, metal breifcase etc.   size doesn't matter ( :P could have worded that different lol) just depends on how many sabers you wanna put in it
-fabric, use your imagination here, 1 meter of any fabric should be plenty
-soft foam board. hard foam would work too but the soft stuff is a lot easier to manage
-razor blade, or any kind of edge really.. watch those fingers ;)
-hot glue

getting started

so the case that i used was just a plain leather briefcase. i wanted something that was inconspicuous, more or less. plus i had to have one with a 6 didget lock ont it, ill give you a hint. its my favorite saber battles, by episode, in decending order ;D.. some cases have a folder/pen carrier on the inside. so if yours does, than just cut the stiching on it to remove it. you wont see the case linner when its done so if you end up snagging the fabric, its no big deal.  thats about all you have to get the case ready, so lets move on.

the linner

alright then.. start of by cutting a piece out your foam that will fit the dimensions of your case.. you will need two of the same size. one of the pieces you will need to cut down the middle. not in half, but cut it so it will be thinner. catch my drift? good.... next!

lay or your sabers, and whatever else your putting in your case down on the thicker piece of foam. this is the base, and where everything will be set in.

once you have a good idea of where everything will go. take out your knife and cut an outline around all your pieces. then either dig out or cut out the rest so you will have sort of a ditch (dont cut all the way through the foam)

something like this

assembly

lay your fabric out flat. put your foam pieces face down with about 10" between them. fold your fabric around the foam glueing it as you go. on the base peice (carved one) make sure to leave lots of slack. thats so the fabric can be pushed into the carved pieces to make a pocket of sorts

your base piece can just be set into the case. the top piece will be glued onto the lid (inside of course :P)

DONE!!

thanks for reading guys

wow this is the most i've written at one time, since i was high school lol :D

MTFBWY

Praise be the order brought forth from the very edge of chaos.

There is only one return. And it's not of the King, it's of the JEDI

Offline darth_call

• Master Force User
Re: saber carrying case tutorial
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 01:15:38 AM »
Good Job DB, ....This application also works with making presentation cases and displays.

This is one I made for MasterKris' saber, ....I didn't use foam for the lining but rather polyfil, ....not really recommended for transporting a saber, ...but the polyfil makes a great "pillow" for display cases. The satin is glued in place as you have done in your tutorial.

Offline Darth_Baleful

• Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 01:19:16 AM »
thats a sweet looking case lord call  :o where did you find that? the shell obviously lol, you would have done the rest

Offline darth_call

• Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 01:26:56 AM »
Found that at Burkes Outlet, if I  remember, ...here's the original link, ..it's in there somewhere:

http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=14636.0

Offline Darth_Baleful

• Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 01:31:34 AM »
ha that was literaly right after i commented on it  :P no wonder i didnt see it before

Offline Hamill82

• under review
  • Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 02:12:13 AM »
Good job guys with those cases, those looks really great!  ;)

For those who want something more practical and easy to carry, like going to a conventions and such with your lightsabers. Just get a cheap floorball stick bag, you can place the whole saber in it, to extra pockets batteries and tools. It's really comfortable and easy to carry on events  :)

;D

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
  • Romans 3:20-26 As simple as it gets.
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 02:54:48 AM »
Good Job DB, ....This application also works with making presentation cases and displays.

This is one I made for MasterKris' saber, ....I didn't use foam for the lining but rather polyfil, ....not really recommended for transporting a saber, ...but the polyfil makes a great "pillow" for display cases. The satin is glued in place as you have done in your tutorial.

Wow very nice looking saber case.  I have to agree that this a a wonderful display case and not as practical for conventions and general transporting use.  It looks amazing though for display.

Offline illz302

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 06:59:51 AM »
Good job guys with those cases, those looks really great!  ;)

For those who want something more practical and easy to carry, like going to a conventions and such with your lightsabers. Just get a cheap floorball stick bag, you can place the whole saber in it, to extra pockets batteries and tools. It's really comfortable and easy to carry on events  :)

;D

wow that is cool where can I buy some of these Emperor?

Offline Hamill82

• under review
  • Master Force User
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 07:29:40 AM »
I believe you should find these from well provided sport stores or big markets. Costs about 10-20$. Nicely padded inside and perfect for carrying sabers. I use these.

Offline illz302

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 07:51:36 AM »
I believe you should find these from well provided sport stores or big markets. Costs about 10-20$. Nicely padded inside and perfect for carrying sabers. I use these.

ok thanks

Offline HAN SOLO

• Jedi/Alliance General aka FX-Sabers' "The Most Interesting Scoundrel"
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Meet my business parter. His name is DL-44.
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 10:25:08 AM »
Wow, that a cool approach to create item inserts, Darth Baleful. Is that a polyester fabric? I was just wondering because I had thought of creating a display case, but with crushed velour. But that satin looking polyester looks interesting also.

*MOVED*

I sent it where my carrying cases were located.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 10:26:43 AM by HAN SOLO »

Negotiator 007
More to follow.........

Offline The Highwayman

• Formerly known as Caden
  • Master Force User
  • Political Thread Pioneer #1
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 10:30:09 AM »
Nice work to both of you. Why isn't polyfill recommended for transport?

as for alternative bags and cases, I use my rifle case for my sabers. :D

Baleful, your tutorial was well written and very easy to understand. Good work. :)

Thanks for the response DCv1.0. i did a ittle research and found some stuff on it. ;) :)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 10:49:02 AM by DarthCaden »

"It's obvious that the price of this game cannot be determined by our knowledge of fair market value, but by our skills with a lightsaber." - Obi-wan (Jedimoves)

Offline darth_call

• Master Force User
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 10:43:02 AM »
Why isn't polyfill recommended for transport?

Because it's soft and pillow-like and doesnt really absorb impacts unless really thick. Foam, on the other hand, does.

Offline LadySythe

• Master Force User
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 10:43:35 AM »
DB... That's a mighty cleaver creation you've come up with :) I may have to make something like that in the not too distant future ;D Then all I'd have to worry about is my blade(s)  :-\
ATTENTION: I will be leaving my Moderator status. Please do not pm me regarding this matter

MR Sabers: Dual Darth Maul 2006 **stolen** :'(
Grayven "Original"
"The Chosen" by Ben Kenobi
Static RLSA "Nameless" (gift from Vosk)

Offline HAN SOLO

• Jedi/Alliance General aka FX-Sabers' "The Most Interesting Scoundrel"
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Meet my business parter. His name is DL-44.
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 10:54:37 AM »
Why isn't polyfill recommended for transport?

Because it's soft and pillow-like and doesnt really absorb impacts unless really thick. Foam, on the other hand, does.

I use a rifle foam in the ones I've made. I forget the foam number, but it is a very ridged foam that cuts nice and retains form. However, for Darth_Baleful's case's foam lining is cool also. I believe with the Material over the Foam, it will give it some ridged structure.

And the nice thing about that material, if it is polyester or satin, it will help you keep "the bling on the saber thing!" ;D

Negotiator 007
More to follow.........

retrousse