fiduciary

Author Topic: Acerocket's un-named CF saber  (Read 23544 times)

Offline Acerocket

• Formerly known as Wat Tambor
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
Acerocket's un-named CF saber
« on: December 19, 2010, 05:25:05 AM »
I think it is about time I posted a new saber in my portfolio.

Un-named Copper and Brass saber
(I will leave the naming up to the eventual owner)

What can I say.  It's copper and brass.  If you look real close, you might see a vague family resemblence to another saber or two.  ;)  This is also my first ever saber with a sound board (and a CF at that).

I based the design on an overall theme and tried to work a few different elements of that theme into the design.  I keep a spare parts tote filled with old circuit boards and computer parts.  I broke down a couple drives and thought the stators looked like radial engines.  The pommel is designed to look like an old, vintage radial aircraft engine/cowling.  The front shroud bears a similarity to a jet engine cowling.  Near the middle of the saber, I have some removeable panels with grooves in them to simulate the look of corrugated aircraft panels.  I also used one of the stators to make a blade plug out of with what looks like the spinner from a turbine engine or propellor hub.

For the crystal chamber, I wanted to do something that didn't look like you would need to call the Mario Brothers to work on the plumbing.  I decided to go 'all electric' with this one.  I have a couple of pieces of old computer circuit board on either side of the speaker mount.  On those, I soldered some wires just for looks.  The main crystal is a piece of Red Phantom Quartz from Tibet.  Is is pretty much clear except for some purplish phanton hazing inside near the base.  I have read that the Sith would make their crystals and that they were not natural - this crystal screamed man-mad to me when I saw it.  The crystal sits off center of the saber because I wanted it to.  The 5mm LED for the Crsyal, and 4x 5mm LED in the pommel, are tied into the main LED so they mimic what the blade is doing flicker wise.

Surrounding the crystal/electric chamber, is a piece of copper mesh and a brass outer shield.  Topping this off is a brass covertech button.  Moving up to the middle section, there are two momentary push button switches and a recharge port.  There are very tiny custom switch nuts and buttons for the switches (which were heavily modified Radio Shack pieces) and a custom kill key cap.  These are meant to look like power nodes or something along those lines.  The removeable covers are held on with four 0-80 screws.  I chose slotted screws to mimic aircraft 1/4 turn fasteners.  There is also a brass collar with some very small engraving on it.  In the Sith Profecy font, I engraved "FEAR LEADS TO ANGER ANGER LEADS TO HATE HATRED LEADS TO POWER POWER LEADS TO VICTORY."  I also have some coil looking rods that pass from the collar back to the mid section.  These are stainlees steel springs with 28 gage red enamaled wire wrapped along side the spring windings.

The jet engine cowling shroud has an internal structure with 29 1/16" holes drilled in the front and 10 1/16" holes drilled in the back.  The front holes are purely for looks, but in the back holes are 1/16" od stainless steel tubes running back to a brass ring.  I even heated the ends of the stainless tubes to give a weathered, burnt look to them.

In the front, there is a removeable blade plug that was made similar to the TCSS unit but I made a brass press in section and sandwiched another stator between the plug end and a spinner.  It lights up quite nice when in the saber.

Tuning the saber was a real nightmare.  Because the CF is near the center of rotation, I had to really mess with the setting to get the swings and clashes to work well.  That meant running wires back and forth and soldering a half dozen connections each and every time I made a change.  Unfortunately, the design of this saber precludes easy access to the SD card.

I went a lot of different directions than I normally do on this saber.  Usually when I do a saber, I have the entire design down and know exactly how everything will fit together before I ever start machining.  With this saber, I just started with the pommel and went from there.  I machined a few parts, then looked at them and decided what the next part would look like.  That makes changes very hard to make, but I like how it came out.  There is a ton of subtle detail in the saber.  In the pommel, there are two pieces of stainless steel screen.  The larger one that you can see in the pictures of the pommel pieces and a smaller one that is under the smaller stator part that is already mounted into the pommel plug (had to glue it in because I kept dropping it on the ground).  These screens have been heated with a torch so they have some bluing around the edges to simulate having been heated.  I also tried to make sure there were no large sections of just plain round body (the exception being in the choke area).  In the crystal/elecrical chamber I have two circuit boards.  On the top one (crystal side) there are 20 small gage wires soldered to the board and passing through the bulkhead.  I made a custom stainless steel mount setup for the crystal and heated it with a torch to give it a nickel color (didn't want to go entirely blue on it so I kept the heat low).  On the bottom circuit board, I have two larger gage wires and eight small gage wires soldered to the board and passing through the bulkheads at each end.  The wiring gives it an more usefull look as opposed to just a bare board mounted there.  (the bottom board also hides the speaker).  There are other small details and such scattered over the saber.  You really have to see it in person to find all the subtleties I tried to include.  I wanted something elegant and understated, not a saber with a Vegas neon sign attached to it.  I like the way the mesh turned out on the grip.  I originally had some finer mesh that allowed a better view into the crystal chamber section, but it was so soft it just mashed itself in my hands.  I went to the heavier mesh and you have to look to see the crystal chamber detail - it's not hard to see (it just doesn't yell 'look at me').  But when the saber is on, it is really easy to see.

Specs:
Copper, brass and a little aluminum construction
Plecter Labs CF 2.5 upgraded to 4.X
Korriban and Vader (from Madcow), Blackstar and Ancient saber (from Novastar), and Starkiller and Sidious (from LDM)
2 x 16340 Li-ion cells
2W rectangular speaker
Recharge port with custom kill key
LEDengin 10W RRRR
Red Phantom Himalayan Quartz
Rumble motor
4x T1-3/4 LED in pommel

Video:
http://s726.photobucket.com/albums/ww266/acerocket/Kegger/saber/?action=view&current=100_7075.mp4

The money shots:

« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 10:50:59 AM by Acerocket »

Offline darth_call

• Master Force User
Re: Acerocket's un-named CF saber
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 05:45:49 AM »
There has never been any saber I really enjoyed staring at more than the Killer Penny.

Until now.

I'm left speechless.

Offline Master Jedye

• The Master of the School for the Dremel-Fu Gifted
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Master Jedye
    • Gemini Concepts
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 06:02:12 AM »

"They should have sent.... a poet. So beautiful, so beautiful... I had no idea"

First place winner in the 19 BBY \"Mustafar LavaRock Belly Crawl\"

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 06:03:57 AM »
I said just yesterday that I thought your Alliance saber [the only saber you've made that I own yet] was near perfect imo...but this...WOW...

Way back on the delusions of grandeur thread I hinted a real lightsaber would need a jet engine inside and later Michiu Kaku came to the same conclusion on his show so I think if one is ever built it may just look a lot like this...INSPIRING design...

If only I wasn't a poor 100% Lightsider...some lucky Sith is going to be supremely happy to own this Masterpiece.
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 06:04:36 AM »
OMG, you made me a saber!!! ;D.  

Seriously, I love copper and brass and that is the most beautifully executed copper and brass saber that I have seen to date.  Killer Penny was also an amazing piece and I love it as well and it is certainly hard to pick between the two style wise.  This one though shows how the skill sets have continued to get better and better.  This saber is going to up the game around here :D.  The switches are amazingly detailed and I love the compartments that open.  As always, your attention to detail and breaking down a saber into all those little components that then fit together into a cohesive whole continues to amaze me.

Beautiful...flawless...

Facebook: VVFB

Offline enaswede

• Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 06:08:05 AM »
Amazing Saber!!!  :o

"When I left you, I was but the learner; now I am the master!"
Click here to view my personal lightsaber & blaster collection!

Offline Darth Xusia

• Master Force User
  • "quit cher whinin' and just build some sabers"
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 06:20:49 AM »
Now THAT, is awesome...
Is this one a keeper or is it going up for sale?
Thank you Photobucket for the best Sig ever!

Offline nartules

• Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 07:40:34 AM »
I believe this one is destined for someone else, ace mentioned he would let the owner name it.  I wonder who the lucky guy/girl is.  That is one awesome saber Ace.

Time will bring the real end of our trial.  One day they'll be no remnants

Offline Acerocket

• Formerly known as Wat Tambor
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 07:58:35 AM »
The luck guy/gal has yet to be determined.  This saber was not made on a commission.  It was made to give me a vehicle to test my skills on and try my first CF soundboard install. 

Offline wookieecrisp

• Master Force User
  • Let the Wookiee Win!
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2010, 08:01:44 AM »
I love how all of the intricate details on this saber come together to form something that's still elegant. The exposed electronics and the mesh grip look great. Truly amazing. :o

Offline KAO CEN DARACH

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Force Relics co-founder, Formerly Ki-Djowac
    • Force Relics
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2010, 08:27:40 AM »
WOW !!! Now THAT is one epic detailed awesome great looking saber ! Congratz on that masterpiece !

Offline Big Boss

• Formerly known as phophjoph
  • Master Force User
  • there is only room for one Snake and one Big Boss
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2010, 08:28:09 AM »
The luck guy/gal has yet to be determined.  This saber was not made on a commission.  It was made to give me a vehicle to test my skills on and try my first CF soundboard install. 
WOW! this saber is amazing! :o :o and if this was only a mere test than i can only imagine what your capable of.

"One must die and one must live. No victory, no defeat. The survivor will carry on the fight. It is our destiny... The one who survives will inherit the title of Boss. And the one who inherits the title of Boss will face an existence of endless battle."-The Boss

"Be like a duck. Calm on the surface, but always paddling like the dickens underneath"-Michael Caine

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
  • Romans 3:20-26 As simple as it gets.
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2010, 08:58:56 AM »

Offline Sunrider

• Unlimited Brightness!!! RRROOAARRR!!!
  • Master Force User
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2010, 09:03:30 AM »
  This is an inspiring design. Lovely lines, great mix of metal colors. The parts flow together well...  Hold on I lost my jaw.

OK there are two things that could be improved imo.

The small stator on the pommel could be replaced by smoother, lower profile lines.

Second the small red switch plunger.

I still give it a 11 out of 10. The most beautiful hilt to date.  8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
  • Romans 3:20-26 As simple as it gets.
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2010, 09:07:07 AM »
When I look at it I see a podracer.  Not that that's a bad thing.  ;D

retrousse