fiduciary

Author Topic: STARGLOW: Cool? Stupid? Dangerous? All of the above?  (Read 2126 times)

Offline hullbreach

• Master Force User
  • Too dangerous to be kept alive
STARGLOW: Cool? Stupid? Dangerous? All of the above?
« on: June 17, 2020, 10:12:44 PM »
YouTube

STARGLOW SABEL | Indiegogo

Anyone here back this on indiegogo? I think I want one  :evil:

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
  • Very, Very English Poster
Re: STARGLOW: Cool? Stupid? Dangerous? All of the above?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2020, 03:59:58 AM »
Starglow Saber

Yeah, we've seen it before. The consensus was "That's one way to lose your hair when there's a breeze"  :wink:

« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 04:17:51 AM by SirRawThunderMan »
Better late than never.

Offline hullbreach

• Master Force User
  • Too dangerous to be kept alive
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2020, 10:05:44 AM »
Hm, I used the search function to see if there was already a thread and nothing came up. Thanks for the reply.

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2020, 02:56:31 PM »
Note how they don't exactly swing "the most realistic lightsaber that exists on this planet" and the output still stutters in their video which we should assume to be the best footage available. 

It seems like a bad idea in general. Certainly leaving flames behind on random objects isn't advisable.

Can I replace the battery in StarGlow?
The battery in the lightsaber is in-built and can’t be replaced. Its capacity is enough to use the device for a long time (10+ fuel charges).

Obviously this is ridiculous.

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2020, 05:35:19 PM »

Can I replace the battery in StarGlow?
The battery in the lightsaber is in-built and can’t be replaced. Its capacity is enough to use the device for a long time (10+ fuel charges).

Obviously this is ridiculous.

I mean, I guess it's possible, if the "electronics" are just a simple lighter-style spark gap and an illuminated AV switch. Their channel has a second video where they demonstrate refuelling the saber, which looks like there've got some kind of inbuilt pumping mechanism to draw the liquid fuel from a bottle. so, at a guess, the sum total of electronics are a pump, an ignition system, an illuminated AV, maybe a few safety sensors and a basic microcontroller to keep things working.

I very much doubt they're putting a proper soundboard in there, all the swing sounds on the videos sound dubbed on in post. The "saber" is using only liquid fuel, which I doubt it can hold that much of in a hilt that small. Just a complete wild guess, of course, but I doubt one fuel charge would last more than five minutes. at that point, 10 charges/battery seems kinda viable, for an decent 18650.

But yeah, this sounds like a really stupid idea. Although, if in a few years' time, there's one going cheap on eBay, I'd buy it to gut it and convert it into a proper LED saber. Or convert it into Luke's Jedi Tree burning torch from TLJ.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 06:50:35 AM by SirRawThunderMan »
Better late than never.

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2021, 08:03:48 AM »
So, this popped up in my YouTube recommended list earlier today: Allen Pan got his hands on one, and it's a total scam.

Better late than never.

retrousse