fiduciary

Author Topic: Unofficial 2021 challenge poll  (Read 2910 times)

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
Re: Unofficial 2021 challenge poll
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2021, 08:32:45 PM »
It should be made of multiple independent components that have an apparent form or function unrelated to being a light saber. These parts should fit together in a way that requires no parts other than the independent components, and hold together as a functional saber. 

The more unique and in universe it looks, the more votes it will get. If it looks like a skateboard duct taped to a ham sandwich it won't get votes.

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
  • Very, Very English Poster
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2021, 04:08:04 AM »
Thunder...I think you are making this more complex with each post!  Should we scratch off the switchcraft logo on the RCP and replace it with Auerbesh?

I honestly think it's not that much more of a complication. We already spend ages making chassis that try and look like what we imagine the real thing to be, why not go the extra mile and make some of the major components look like the "real" thing, too?

Or, hey, I could be barking completely up the wrong tree, and this is just getting dafter every incarnation.

What would folks think of trying the runner up Jazz Challenge? the rules for that would be much simpler to work out.
Better late than never.

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2021, 06:19:29 AM »
I didn't vote for golden saber, but I think you are over thinking it. All we need is the simple rules in my last comment and everything else will take care of itself.  We know what the golden gun is, if anyone doesn't that's a simple search to get the idea.

Offline scott

• Experienced Force User
  • Oh, I don’t think so.
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2021, 05:53:30 PM »
JBKs last simple set of parameters is logical. I also suspect that the other details that thunder has dropped in will show up in voter discretion.

Offline Iggy

• Formerly known as Polarcupz
  • Master Force User
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2021, 05:53:30 PM »
E57 has laid out some pretty simple rules. It can be interpreted in a few ways. The options gives more people a chance to participate. The more the merrier.

I would love to see this kicked off so we can start. I have a few ideas for mine already.  :grin:

"I think, therefore I am. I destroy, therefore I endure."

Offline scott

• Experienced Force User
  • Oh, I don’t think so.
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2021, 06:02:57 PM »
I don’t!  I was hoping for a few more weeks or months of debate on the details so that I might get some inspiration!

Offline Iggy

• Formerly known as Polarcupz
  • Master Force User
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2021, 04:23:02 AM »
I don’t!  I was hoping for a few more weeks or months of debate on the details so that I might get some inspiration!

You can use the build time frame to get inspired.  Just get it done before the due date. :wink:

"I think, therefore I am. I destroy, therefore I endure."

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2021, 04:36:03 AM »
I have ideas for pretty much every category, and started sketching out several ideas.  That's nothing new though, I've got 10x as many paper sabers as actual builds.

Offline eastern57

• Neato Jedi Knight
  • Master Force User
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2021, 06:11:25 AM »
I think there's something here already, we just have to distil the good stuff.  You can use a combination of mine and JB's inputs to offer a challenge with options.  There doesn't need to be stringent rules, since a lot of the details can be covered by individual judgment, i.e. here's what were offering, please try to stay within the spirit of the challenge.  There's no right or wrong way to offer a challenge, just as long as you articulate the challenge and manage expectations.

SRTM, I say take what you have, mix it with the flashgun challenge parameters and mine & JB's posts to be more concise and focused, while still keeping the various options to project direction.  The best project (as defined by the individual voter) wins. ;) 

I have ideas for pretty much every category, and started sketching out several ideas.  That's nothing new though, I've got 10x as many paper sabers as actual builds.

Same.  My problem is that I have too many idea, and only one life time (with a job) to squeeze them all in. 

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2021, 06:53:49 AM »

Same.  My problem is that I have too many idea, and only one life time (with a job) to squeeze them all in.

We have a lot of similar ideas, but you are much faster than me!

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2021, 02:54:08 PM »
Speaking of Real Life butting in, my apologies, it's been a hectic couple of days and I haven't had the time to check in on this thread much.

Okay, how does this sound?

Spirit of the contest:

-To make, in whatever way the contestants think possible, a working lightsaber that can be broken down in to multiple parts and reassembled, both internally and externally, with a minimum of tools. This is *not* just a matter of simply unscrewing an MHS saber, removing the chassis and calling it done.

-a finished saber should be made of multiple independent components. These parts should fit together in a way that requires no parts other than the independent components, and hold together as a functional saber. 

-This can be accomplished in any way the contestants wish. If you want to make fifteen separate props so that you can take the barrel extension off your blaster and screw it into your droid caller’s frame and turn it on with your thermal detonator’s switch, then more power to you, but it isn’t a mandatory requirement. Conversely, Kanan Jarrus would also be accepted, but only if he broke his saber down even further.

-Corran Horn’s saber is an example of a halfway complete challenge saber: made from junk found lying around a cantina and scrapyard, and recognisable mostly as a swoop bike handle. Master Horn would be disqualified, however, as he meditated his saber’s internals into one solid piece that would be impossible to take apart.

Requirements:

1: Make a working custom saber, with or without sound.
2: That can be entirely assembled and disassembled with a minimum of tools
3: And incorporate multiple independent components

Eligible entries must:

1: Include a minimum of four independent sub components (do we want more?)
2: Light up, be disassembled, reassembled, and light up again
3: Be executed, to the highest extent possible, adhering to the spirit of these guidelines

At it's core, the goal is a field strippable saber, but with enough artistic freedom that as long as it's field strippable, it's ok. if you want to make multiple props, go for it, if you want to make a saber where the 18650 is disguised as a Diatium Power Cell, that also, and anything in between. As long as it breaks down, up again, in multiple parts, and lights up.
Better late than never.

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2021, 06:52:10 PM »
Sounds good to me.

Offline eastern57

• Neato Jedi Knight
  • Master Force User
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2021, 01:01:23 PM »
That's a lot better.

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2021, 09:00:40 AM »
Right, then if we're okay on terms, we should probably figure out an end date. Before or after summer?
Better late than never.

Offline scott

• Experienced Force User
  • Oh, I don’t think so.
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2021, 07:31:59 AM »
6+ months last year wasn’t enough for many so I would set that as the floor to hopefully get more entries.

retrousse