fiduciary

Author Topic: The Flashgun Challenge  (Read 14339 times)

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
  • Very, Very English Poster
Re: The Flashgun Challenge
« Reply #225 on: October 21, 2020, 09:40:52 AM »
Final update: So, new 3D printer in hand and tuned nicely, I fell victim to one of the Classic Blunders: I engaged in a land war in Asia!  :wink:

Nope, I just caught up in a chase for perfection. The old "hey, no more deadline, I can refine a few things that I didn't like so much first time around but didn't have the time to fix" followed by "wait, it's almost two weeks later and I've made and binned enough replacement parts to make three sabers because tiny details that no-one's ever going to see were annoying me, and still don't have a saber to show".

So yeah. tomorrow, come what may, is final wiring up day.
Better late than never.

Offline EXAR KUN

• SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
« Reply #226 on: October 22, 2020, 11:32:10 AM »
Good luck with the final stages!

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
« Reply #227 on: October 22, 2020, 12:27:31 PM »
Good luck with the final stages!

Well, the build itself is at last complete :cheesy: I had a last minute brainwave that fixed a design detail I really wasn't pleased with all the way through, and it was worth the time building it the replacement. tomorrow, I take everything apart and wire it up, as well as final sanding and a quick touch up on the paint details. hopefully, in 24 hours time, there'll be a thread in the gallery.

For a name, I'm going with The Oncoming Storm. Not for any Dr Who-related reasons, but 'cause Thunder arrived late.  :wink:
Better late than never.

Offline scott

• Experienced Force User
  • Oh, I don’t think so.
« Reply #228 on: October 22, 2020, 04:13:54 PM »
So are we seeing Oncoming Storm regardless of what happens over the next 36 hours on the livestream?

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
« Reply #229 on: October 23, 2020, 10:34:50 AM »
So are we seeing Oncoming Storm regardless of what happens over the next 36 hours on the livestream?

I was hoping to get it done by tonight, but I've hit a *slight* issue during the dry fitting: the switch actuator can't actuate the activation switch. I've had to break out the files for some emergency surgery. I'm still aiming for tonight, but worse comes to the worst, during the livestream.
Better late than never.

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
« Reply #230 on: October 23, 2020, 11:21:34 AM »
the inadvisable emergency surgery was a success, the switch works now.

getting some dinner, then wiring.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 11:58:44 AM by SirRawThunderMan »
Better late than never.

Offline scott

• Experienced Force User
  • Oh, I don’t think so.
« Reply #231 on: October 23, 2020, 04:44:03 PM »
Sweet...now onto the easy part...see you tomorrow!

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
« Reply #232 on: October 24, 2020, 05:16:30 AM »
Had to stop soldering at 2am last night, with everything bar the tri-cree soldered up. Apparently the swearing and cursing was keeping my downstairs neighbour up.

Got back to it this morning, and had the pleasure of running into the least cooperative tri-cree solder pad I have ever met. no matter what I tried (flux, light sandpaper, more heat, etc), no solder would stick to the red -ve pad. I had to heat the whole base up with my hot air gun for five minutes before it would even consider  taking a cold solder joint. When I finally got the pad to take solder, that's when I noticed that the little clear domes over the cree LEDs weren't domes or clear any more. also, the heat was enough to reflow the green die out of place. I'm starting to think the Force doesn't want this saber to exist.

I have another tri-cree I was saving for another build. I really, really hope it's more cooperative than it's predecessor.
Better late than never.

Offline eastern57

• Neato Jedi Knight
  • Master Force User
« Reply #233 on: October 24, 2020, 05:28:27 AM »
I hear you, dogg.  Every so often I get one of those projects that will fight me tooth and nail. 

I would like to name one off and tell you all about the difficult journey, but those are the projects that are the first to get recycled.  For many reasons... either I had to jimmy-rig something, I had to cannibalize another higher-value project, or maybe I was just mad at it.  I have a few pieces that still have some frustrating stories, but if it was an absolute struggle to get it to even function, then it's not going to stand up to me playing with it...

Edit: Ooh, my scout trooper stun baton - incorporating the plasma tube kicked mine buttocks, but I got it to work. Less than a week later, I was pulling all that out because it was so finicky and fragile.

...so I guess the moral of the story is that if a project fights you, know your ultimate victory will come in the form of, "not only will I make you work for me, but as added insult, I will discard you as soon as your value to me has been exhausted."

... man that's kind of dark... :tongue: :evil:

« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 05:35:44 AM by eastern57 »

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
« Reply #234 on: October 24, 2020, 07:24:33 AM »
Yup. at the last minute, this one has proved to be an utter *"£$(&*%"£)$&)&()(&%$ of a build. on the plus side, I'm certain now that I would not have made the original deadline anyway from when I started. too much last minute problem solving.

Hopefully, I'll have everything soldered up for the livestream. probably not working, as I haven't had a chance to tweak the firmware on the proffieboard yet, so it's running whatever the default proffieOS settings are, but it'll be better than nothing.
Better late than never.

Offline scott

• Experienced Force User
  • Oh, I don’t think so.
« Reply #235 on: October 24, 2020, 08:19:34 AM »
Hope it worked out....that stuff is frustrating when you aren’t working under a deadline!

Offline EXAR KUN

• SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
« Reply #236 on: October 24, 2020, 01:26:08 PM »
I had a great time on the live show I hope everyone enjoyed it. If you missed the live version here is the link to the recording: THE FLASHGUN CHALLENGE Winner Revealed! It's the FX-Sabers LIVE Show! -

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
« Reply #237 on: October 25, 2020, 12:52:03 PM »

Better late than never
Better late than never.

Offline eastern57

• Neato Jedi Knight
  • Master Force User
« Reply #238 on: October 25, 2020, 01:27:54 PM »