fiduciary

Author Topic: Looking for help with bring-up of Arduino on a new platform  (Read 6202 times)

Offline Theultimatesaber

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
Looking for help with bring-up of Arduino on a new platform
« on: April 01, 2019, 10:27:36 AM »
Greetings Fx saber community!

1) I’m looking for someone that can help me with a bring-up of Arduino on a new platform. To simplify the task this new controller will mimic a prior popular Creative Commons design (proffieboard) and provide similar features (strip LED, color profiles, possibility of accelerometer integration with smooth swing, flash on clash etc). Looking for someone with some prior experience or strong firmware skills to help get this project underway.

2) Secondarily I’m also looking for someone that can assist in saber application development.  This can be Python or other scripting to develop the observable aforementioned behaviors.

This new controller design once completed will be sent to our pcb design house and will be available to the public once our final build is complete.

Payment for this project will include the final production saber and is open to negotiation. This is an opportunity to work with an extremely exciting product and should serve as a wonderful new stepping stone for the sabering community and other DIY builders.

For more info please feel free to contact me directly at: theultimatesaber@gmail.com

Offline Theultimatesaber

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
Re: Looking for help with bring-up of Arduino on a new platform
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 10:32:56 AM »
Greetings Arduino/saber community!

1) I’m looking for someone that can help me with a bring-up of Arduino on a new platform. Essentially we are looking to code a very small controller with basic neopixel functions similar to the popular Creative Commons design proffieboard and provide similar features (strip LED, color profiles, possibility of accelerometer integration with smooth swing, flash on clash etc). Looking for someone with some prior experience or strong firmware skills to help get this project underway.

2) Secondarily I’m also looking for someone that can assist in saber application development to develop the observable aforementioned behaviors.

This new controller design once completed will be sent to our pcb design house and will be available to the public once our final build is complete.

Payment for this project will include the final production saber and will equally reflect whatever input / assistance you are willing / able to provide. This is an opportunity to work with an extremely exciting new product and should serve as a wonderful new stepping stone for the sabering community and other DIY builders.

For more info please feel free to contact me directly at: theultimatesaber@gmail.com where we will send over the necessary NDA and be able to discuss in more detail.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 10:58:02 AM by Theultimatesaber »

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 06:54:46 AM »
This was a joke, right?

Offline K-2SO

• Killer Droid Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Congratulations! You are being rescued.
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 07:28:37 AM »
This was a joke, right?

Somehow, I don’t think so. Everyone wants to come into this hobby thinking they’ll make quick money.  :undecided:

I find your arguments vague and unconvincing.

Quiet! *Slap* And there’s a fresh one if you mouth off again.

Offline Kolgrima

• Force User
  • Never tell me the odds!
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2019, 09:59:12 AM »
This was a joke, right?

It was posted April 1st! and it does sound like a joke! So if it looks like a duck... :wink:

Offline JakeSoft

• Experienced Force User
  • The Arduino Jedi
    • Universal Saber Library
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2019, 11:03:34 AM »
I wasn't sure what to make of this either. I'm all for more new stuff being developed, but not sure why on earth you would want to use Python for something like this. That *would* be a funny idea. I also noticed he/she cross-posted this to three areas of the forum, although I see at least one of them was taken down.

Offline ShtokyD

• Mining Colony Members
  • Force User
  • whatever
    • My facebook page
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2019, 11:48:14 AM »
Why not just use a Proffieboard?

Offline Theultimatesaber

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2019, 09:04:43 AM »
We are designing a new board for a product we’re developing. Proffieboard is not in production.

Offline Theultimatesaber

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2019, 09:10:01 AM »
Apologies for the confusion everyone.. no this was not an April fools joke. And no we are not in this to “make a quick buck”. Our company background is in martial and performance arts and we are working on a new design that suits our martial arts schools style of performance.

This is our first time building / designing a board like this and know next to nothing about what we need.. wether it’s python or something else we genuinely need some guidance! Any and all info is helpful. We intend to build this as a production model saber which means we intended to design our own board / controller.

Would really appreciate some friendly feedback.

We have our own pcb design house ready but still need someone to help with the bring-up of the firmware etc.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 09:11:46 AM by Theultimatesaber »

Offline JakeSoft

• Experienced Force User
  • The Arduino Jedi
    • Universal Saber Library
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2019, 10:01:57 AM »
I guess the first question you should ask yourself is: What is your motivation is for taking on such a project? Then share those reasons with us. Do you just want to do it for fun? Is there a business need? You want to learn new skills? Are there capabilities you need that no existing product can give you? Do you want to own the means of production? I'd suggest that you need to know and understand the answers to those kinds of questions before you can proceed, and then share them with us.

Even for pro engineers, it often takes years of development to go from prototype to a finished board if you are starting from scratch. Even Erv Plecter himself has been working for months on his latest project and he is recognized as one of the best in the business and he is a pro electrical engineer to boot. If that doesn't scare you, then more power to you; I encourage anyone who wants to learn to do so. Just be aware of what you're getting into. If you have no background in electrical engineering or software development then you're in for quite a learning curve.

With all of that said, quite a bit of open-source stuff already exists. Google "Universal Saber Library", "FX Saber OS", "Proffie OS" for examples of open-source saber projects. If all you are after is code, there is a ton of it out there to start with.

Offline K-2SO

• Killer Droid Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Congratulations! You are being rescued.
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2019, 10:03:33 AM »
This post was merged with the other one like it - K-2SO

I find your arguments vague and unconvincing.

Quiet! *Slap* And there’s a fresh one if you mouth off again.

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2019, 10:24:32 AM »
I'll add that if what you are looking for is a proprietary platform and/or you are planning on making a profit from the work involved then a completed saber is not very much compensation for the work involved. 

Normally there would be a contract regarding disclosure, intellectual property rights, and potentially licensing fees or royalties.  Once the board is developed there is also the question of technical support, updates, etc.

Clarifying your intentions would certainly help.

Offline Theultimatesaber

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2019, 10:48:32 AM »
Ill have time to respond more thoroughly later this evening. Much tension I sense in this forum though! It makes me sad to think of the history that must have warranted such skepticism :( 

The short answer is this.. yes there is a definite niche within the available saber products (a large niche) for this product that we’re designing. And yes there is plenty more information on our company and project goals that will most certainly be disclosed to any interested parties once the standard NDAs are signed and dotted. We are not a “brand new” company.. we have a very successful past history!

The scope of this project (for now) requires someone on a consulting basis who knows and understands these saber coding platforms so that they can help us to ask the right questions and get our PCB design and schematic team that is currently on hold properly oriented. The compensation for this consulting is ABSOLUTELY not limited to simply a single final working product.. and I apologize for whatever gave you that impression. The compensation should and will reflect in multiplicity whatever input / assistance you provide in making this part of the project come to fruition.

I realize that at this moment the exact scope of the project is relatively vague, however at this stage that is exactly why we are looking for someone experienced to help us start asking the right questions and map out the details of what we will be needing. 

To clarify we are not looking for assistance with the design and execution of the saber housing itself.. just the brain. We are essentially wanting to build something similar to a proffieboard with a few less bells and whistles (for now) - (a very compact board with basic Neopixel control.).. If you have any interest at all please pm me so we can send over an NDA and discuss in much more detail at your convenience! :)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 10:53:06 AM by Theultimatesaber »

Offline Kolgrima

• Force User
  • Never tell me the odds!
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2019, 11:45:42 AM »
With all of that said, quite a bit of open-source stuff already exists. Google "Universal Saber Library", "FX Saber OS", "Proffie OS" for examples of open-source saber projects. If all you are after is code, there is a ton of it out there to start with.

I'll also add that if you do go the route of basing your product on an opensource design be aware of the license requirements. Often opensource means whatever you build on top of that must also be opensource. Meaning you must provide the source code or hardware design files freely. For example, if you were to take the Proffie design and add something or change something to that design, those changes must be made public they can not be propriety. Just something to keep in mind.

If you want something propriety you'll have to build it completely from the ground up and that is something you will most likely need to do on your own because chances are if there are folks out there that can do it, they already have, and they have their own product.

On the other hand, if you are building something opensource as JakeSoft said you have a huge pool to draw knowledge from, and help will be easier to find.

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2019, 12:10:11 PM »
As far as asking the right questions, the questions being asked here are really minimum qualifiers to determine if someone might be interested enough to even begin a dialog.

At a minimum you'll need to answer is whether or not you plan on this being proprietary.  If so, realize there is a triangular formula to any project relating time, quality, and cost.  Each expectation will affect the requirement of another.  And as the saying goes: you might be able to get two, but you can't have all three.

retrousse