fiduciary

Author Topic: Episode VIII: The Last Jedi Discussion (Spoiler Alerts)  (Read 16232 times)

Offline The Force Is Strong

• Force User
Episode VIII: The Last Jedi Discussion (Spoiler Alerts)
« on: December 17, 2017, 05:03:08 AM »
I cannot believe someone did not start this discussion thread sooner, I do not know if this is a sign Facebook really is taking over or not. Since I refuse to have a Facebook for personal and security reasons. I will start the thread here to get peoples thoughts on the new movie.

I thought it was incredible. The final sequences were really well done and did the series justice in my opinion. I was having a Lightsaber geek out moment when Luke was facing Kylo. Did everyone notice that the Saber Luke was holding was the variant from ESB with the 2 red buttons and blue blade? I was thinking to myself watching it, "How can this be since the Saber this turned into was just destroyed in the sequence prior". Made a lot of sense after the fact.

Also, it was very interesting to see Ben Solo's blue lightsaber. It looks like the hilt may have been used and modified once he turned to the dark side.

I thought the attention to the lightsabers was really well done and I intend to see the movie again on Tuesday. Look forward to get other opinions.

Offline K-2SO

• Killer Droid Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Congratulations! You are being rescued.
Re: Episode VIII: The Last Jedi Discussion (Spoiler Alerts)
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 05:47:36 AM »
Just a reminder... not everyone has had the chance to see the movie yet, and it won’t be out in certain parts of the world for a few more weeks. So please keep ALL OF THAT keep that in mind.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 06:03:37 AM by K-2SO »

I find your arguments vague and unconvincing.

Quiet! *Slap* And there’s a fresh one if you mouth off again.

• Force User
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 06:26:02 AM »
Totally understand and agree and that is why it says spoiler alerts in title. As with when TFA was released a pretty robust discussion thread about the movie was discussed on here with the same alerts in the title. Was started after the midnight release in 2015.

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MERIDIAN
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 01:56:55 PM »
Hello everyone

Well first I will say I saw The Last Jedi at 6pm on Thursday at a Fan
showing locally but have been reading the reviews and discussion
before saying anything myself.

Also to allow members here and guests in general time to see it before
spoiling anything with discussion but it can use some perspective now.

I did like the movie “overall" since it is a Star Wars Movie and is continuing
the saga however there were a “few” things that were...

Questionable yeah thats the word questionable LOL

I’ll put it to ya this way…
I myself do want to go back and see again it to verify some things I saw.

But I’m not rushing back to see it again like I did with TFA and my Wife who has
been a supporter of my being such a fan all this time just said She will wait for it
to be on video before watching it again.

Why is that? well let’s talk a look at the “bait and switch” effect.

Let’s start by thinking of all the trailers and basic story leaks that we as actual
Star Wars fans were expecting to see with what we were being presented
in the trailers and the title of the movie.

Many of us were expecting and or hoping for something more along the lines
of Rogue one where it would be a more ominous continuation of where TFA
had left off and did a good job of setting us up for the TLJ sequel.

I get the impression from many others as well as my self that we felt like kids
in a car with Mom and Dad and when we were supposed to make a Right
Turn Dad decided to Turn Left and Mom just looked at us and said your father
knows what he is doing and instead of Turing around and heading in the right
direction Dad starts Telling Fart Jokes.

There with in lies the real issue with TLJ it was sold as the Dramatic Story of
what is to come but somehow they turned it into a Tragic Comedy.

At this point I’m wondering if some of it was done deliberately or not because
Disney and LFL simply had to know some of this would not go over well and
it didn’t need to be that way.

BUT obviously they felt TFA was the turning point although Fans had not yet
completed the turn and TLJ was showcasing the new road.
While they are wanting to change things up and break from some of the old
tradition we are used to and only time will tell if this turns out to be a good or
bad thing for the overall Star Wars Saga.

After all it is the original FANs that have carried the torch this whole time and
is it actually wise to deviate from that formula in such a blunt fashion?

With that said there were some truly great moments and in the end when the movie
was over I left the theater bewildered but still entertained and the spark was there…
but with the knowledge that that spark is for lighting a different fuse.

Definitely have some more thoughts myself but would like to hear more comments from our
members on this so you may fire when ready :laugh:

MTFBWY
always
YODA
:yoda:

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 02:43:30 PM »
Forgot to add this...

The hardest part to watch was Leia's Mary Poppins space flight which made me realize
the Trailers warned us “this is not going to go the way you think" :cheesy:

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2017, 03:07:36 PM »
I get the impression from many others as well as my self that we felt like kids
in a car with Mom and Dad and when we were supposed to make a Right
Turn Dad decided to Turn Left and Mom just looked at us and said your father
knows what he is doing and instead of Turing around and heading in the right
direction Dad starts Telling Fart Jokes.

I think this is a pretty good metaphor.

I spent the first half hour in disbelief, thinking that it somehow had to be some kind of sick joke.  I was waiting for it to turn the corner and start being interesting instead of just a manic storm of nonsense (it took me a while to clean that up) and for me that never really happened.  To be honest, I have a hard time understanding how anyone liked it and I'm not usually one to say things like that.  I don't know if a second viewing will change anything for me.  I felt that just about every character was inauthentic to their history and ultimately that is the ultimate sin.  The names and faces were the same, but little else carried on from their past.

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2017, 03:15:51 PM »

The biggest Opportunity missed! Rey gives Luke His saber back and it could have been a really
good scene with some powerful dialog.

Nope let’s scratch that and make this silly instead… yeah thats what the fans want. :sad:

But they did make up for it by using the Lightspeed to destroy a giant star destroyer which
undoubtedly was a great and defining moment. :cool:

As far as the humor goes though...
I think one of my favorite parts of the movie (and sort of how I felt when it was over) is
when Rey gets smacked in the head by the graflex as its flying around the room and
I’ll pay good money to the first person who makes that into an animated Gif.

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2017, 03:45:21 PM »
Don't get me wrong people I did like it and am so very glad to have more Star Wars movies

I just can't help but feel there were some powerful moments missed and certain things
that could have been done with out but over all as I said I did like it.

Just hard not to have a little fun with the obvious Disney influences :wink:

• Force User
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2017, 03:46:14 PM »
I too agree that the comedy was over the top. I felt like the comedic moments in TFA were spot on and nostalgic in many cases. This felt very forced.

I also do not understand the Snoke character at all? I felt like more was owed on his origin, which I thought would be provided in this film. Then all of a sudden he is dead with his tounge sticking out.

For me personally I agree the lightspeed kill of Snoke’s cruiser was an incredible moment and I really liked the way everything went silent for that moment. It was like, “did that really just happen and oh my God!”

I thought the fight sequence between Rey and Kylo with the Guards was really well done. And I stand by the final showdown between Luke and Kylo was incredible.

Not quite sure about the ending with the force sensitive youngling, but that didn’t kill the movie for me.

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2017, 04:07:33 PM »
I too agree that the comedy was over the top. I felt like the comedic moments in TFA were spot on and nostalgic in many cases. This felt very forced.

I also do not understand the Snoke character at all? I felt like more was owed on his origin, which I thought would be provided in this film. Then all of a sudden he is dead with his tounge sticking out.

For me personally I agree the lightspeed kill of Snoke’s cruiser was an incredible moment and I really liked the way everything went silent for that moment. It was like, “did that really just happen and oh my God!”

I thought the fight sequence between Rey and Kylo with the Guards was really well done. And I stand by the final showdown between Luke and Kylo was incredible.

Not quite sure about the ending with the force sensitive youngling, but that didn’t kill the movie for me.

You are so right it was "forced" pun intended  :azn:

I'll give you a good example of going just to far and I think this will hit home with a lot of people.

Rey doing practice swings with the lightsaber and then cutting the boulder in half and it falls.

Leave it there! Her reaction and that alone worked!

Did it really have to almost Hit the Nun Keepers? That went to far if you can see what I mean by
Disney influence and to much "comedy"
That I feel is a good example of going to far and they did it numerous times through out the movie
as far as adding in comedy that wasn't necessary but that's just my opinion.

Now we do have the end scene like you mentioned with Kylo and Luke but the best part of that
was the barrage of cannon fire and when the smoke cleared Luke was standing there  :grin:
That was a nice touch and while almost expected it came across very well.

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2017, 04:08:24 PM »
BUT WAIT!!!!!

DiDn't everyone notice the most important thing in the whole movie about the Graflex?

And No I'm not talking about it Exploding

But that begs the question do I need to make an exploding Graflex version  :cheesy:

Offline Yaraell_Ren

• Force User
  • Listen Yaddle, I'm gonna need to borrow your car!
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2017, 04:57:07 PM »
From what I remember, when Rey is holding the broken Graflex in her hands,
we see a glimpse of its black interior with a blue kyber crystal in it.
I thought this addition of Graflex interior was so interesting, and would love to see some hi-def images later.

• Force User
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2017, 05:19:20 PM »
I think it is the ESB version that Luke conjures during the final fight/force deception. 

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2017, 05:22:01 PM »
From what I remember, when Rey is holding the broken Graflex in her hands,
we see a glimpse of its black interior with a blue kyber crystal in it.
I thought this addition of Graflex interior was so interesting, and would love to see some hi-def images later.

That wasn't it but a very good try.

I was highly focused on the screen because I knew it was coming and as I did the destruction of the graflex
but in the end it was meant to look like an un-determinable melted glob of crap (maybe a few wire sticking out)
but basically melted and cut off much like Anakins saber in AOTC

baiscally if you were to cut the visual dictionary saber right where the bottom crystal comes out of the power cell
is where they broke it so they didn't have to be liable one way or the other with what was inside and thus the visual
dictionary saber internals that they already own and have printed in books remains the basis with out having to show it.

Poor Anakin both His sabers got broken in half  :cheesy:

Anyway this is the set-up for why we see Rey have both the Graflex and Luke ROTJ saber available to Her in Battlefront2
because it now gives the opportunity to go back to the island and get Lukes ROTJ saber for EP9 or...

She can make Her own but that would have to be with the "Red Crystal" on Luke's necklace because the part that actually
exploded was the focusing crystal and power gate section.

I do agree with everyone that Rey should make Her own Saber but She isn't there yet.

I feel for EP9 she will retrieve Lukes green hilt and then after that one is gone She will make her own out
of the remnants of both hilts. :wink:

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2017, 05:34:27 PM »
I think it is the ESB version that Luke conjures during the final fight/force deception.

Nope the ESB version already exists...

it is a new specific alteration to the Luke/Rey TLJ saber that will require making a new part  :shocked:

retrousse