fiduciary

Author Topic: solved the riddle of the retention screw dilema  (Read 1414 times)

Offline ARJedi

• Padawan Learner
  • Um...Hello?
solved the riddle of the retention screw dilema
« on: September 23, 2015, 07:53:10 PM »
Ok I have been making sabers for a while now, I have a machine shop with three big CNC mill lathe combos so I am currently working on a thin neck Luke ROTJ. I decided to incorporate a built in LED holder heat sink and a emitter twist blade retention system. The emitter will bottom out at the choke, inside of the emitter there will be locking retention system that will grip a blade when the emitter is tightened all the way down. I have the prototype already made just finishing the rest of the saber. I will post as soon as get a working saber ready. ask any questions you guys may have, but I will not describe the retention system other than its a twist lock built into the emitter.

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
Re: solved the riddle of the retention screw dilema
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 09:34:05 PM »
Collet system? Bayonet mount? Many alternatives to blade retention screws have been tried over the years and found to be only marginal improvements in effectiveness at cost of considerably greater complexity and therefore would increase expense of sabers if commercialized which is why none have been widely adopted. Blade retention screws may not be a perfect solution but have been proven 'good ENOUGH' for more than a decade. Yet its always good to see new approaches and new thinking in this hobby so Good Luck!
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

retrousse