fiduciary

Author Topic: Tell me I'm not the only one that died inside when I saw the light slingshot  (Read 4622 times)

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known as Alex Gordon
    • Evolution Arms
New 'Star Wars Rebels' Images; Trailer Arrives on Star Wars Day

Tell me what's wrong with that picture.   I seriously don't even want to try and understand their logic behind it either, because nothing anyone says can justify it.  Even if they explained the physics behind it in a perfectly acceptable way, it wouldn't change the fact that a light slingshot would have absolutely zero gain over a blaster, and would just be a waste of technology to even produce, since it wouldn't be able to do something that a standard blaster couldn't. 

If that stays, I will not even give the show a chance.   :-\

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Also known as Jay-gon Jinn!
  • JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Your focus determines your reality
Nope, you're not the only one.... ::)

Offline Link

• Formerly known as airframe31
  • Master Force User
  • Soundfont Artist & SIG Maker :)
Wow, talk about reaching! Even for a kids show that is just crossing the line. The  tron disc saber was one thing.... but now this????? Someone needs to be fired!!!

Offline Darth Hizzo

• Padawan Learner
  • Formerly Known as Darth Santa Naughty ... or nice?
I completely agree with your sentiment towards the light slingshot.

However, for boredom's sake, I'm going to try and justify it.  We know the show revolves around the beginning of the anti-empire rebellion.  It is a rag-tag bunch with vastly inferior technology compared to the galactic empire.  Perhaps the show creators wanted to reinforce the whole 'outmatched' mentality by giving the protagonist a weapon seemingly inferior to whatever the empire has.  It's like the whole David and Goliath concept -- you might be big and mighty but I can topple you with a slingshot with enough willpower.  Maybe he built the slingshot himself. 

My idea doesn't really hold up considering everyone else in the picture is using blasters and stuff.

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known as Alex Gordon
    • Evolution Arms
The point is, with the same technology that you would need to build a light slingshot, you could definitely build a blaster, and maybe a lightsaber too (both simultaneously, not either/or). 

That's like taking an f-22 and putting the engine of an f-16 into it.  It requires way more engineering processes, and in the end, what you get is inferior to the original. 

Offline Darth Hizzo

• Padawan Learner
  • Formerly Known as Darth Santa Naughty ... or nice?
Yeah, but Disney needs a cool new Star Warsy thing to sell as a toy to kids, and a 'cool' slingshot would be perfect.  It'll make parents who think that guns (or anything that looks like a gun including blasters) shouldn't be toys happy.

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
I can't even express how stupid that is ::).

Facebook: VVFB

Offline Wildcard

• Master Force User
  • This is an ex-parrot.
The "Light Spit Wads" and "Light Rubber Bands", on the other hand, would liven up the office cubies!

In all seriousness - I also can't, and don't even want to, contemplate what they were thinking regarding this creation.

The "Light Spray Can", for instant precision-etched graffiti, will probably follow next to make their new characters even more 'cool'. After he takes out a base with his light slingshot, he can etch his tag over the entrance with his light spray can.

Offline Bruce Wayne

• Formerly known as Shadow Walker
  • Experienced Force User
  • I am vengeance. I am the night.
Let this sink in: According to Disney's new "canon" policy, this show, as it is a part of their new media going forward, will most likely be canon to the Star Wars universe, but The Force Unleashed won't be.

Yeah, I know, right?!

« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 12:10:33 PM by Bruce Wayne »

Offline Mortoff

• Padawan Learner
  • Um...Hello?
A wrist rocket!!!  Awesome!  Actually, it's really not that awesome.  It's childish and somewhat incongruous with the technology of the Star Wars universe.  It's like somebody wasn't even really trying...

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
Let this sink in: According to Disney's new "canon" policy, this show, as it is a part of their new media going forward, will most likely be canon to the Star Wars universe, but The Force Unleashed won't be.

Yeah, I know, right?!

:'( :'( :'(

Facebook: VVFB

Offline Clark Kent

• Master Force User
no way!!! that's so cool, a light-slingshot. i always wanted one of those.

HAHAHAHAHAHA, there goes the neighbourhood. so much for the franchise.

well, it was fun while it lasted, lets pack up our things and leave. hahahahaha

Offline Askew Wai

• No Force
  • Speak softly. Carry an R2.
Those convergent beams - it's an early Death Star prototype! Lightshot Boy is probably almost as powerful as some hokey religion!

Oh wait he's targeting himself.

Offline madcow

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
    • Genesis Custom Sabers
An idea which should be tossed into the same trash bucket as the black lightsaber blade IMHO.

Now a gauntlet mini rail gun, or nanobot shooter, or even an instant-distraction-deployment-system...

Offline KI-ADI-MUNDI

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • "TRUST THE PROCESS"
As far as Star Wars tec it probably works similar to the pink energy beams that hold the pods on the POD racers together...

"In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act"

retrousse