fiduciary

Author Topic: Custom Symbol AV Switches  (Read 4245 times)

Offline Ari-Jaq Xulden

• Experienced Force User
Re: Custom Symbol AV Switches
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2013, 12:02:20 PM »
Thanks for the continued interest and kind words from everyone. Thanks for that info Kit. Good to know I wasn't out of the ballpark. I have great news The process does indeed work on a 12mm as well.

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.

Offline Gil Gamesh

• Formerly known as Kit Fisto
  • Master Force User
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2013, 12:06:43 PM »
Out of curiosity, are you ONLY doing completed units, or can we send in our own switches if we've got a bunch onhand for pc or engraving?  That engraving on the 12mm is so sharp and clear, I'm very impressed!
Support our Font Makers!

Offline Ari-Jaq Xulden

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2013, 12:16:51 PM »
I have reservations about accepting merchandise that I have no way of guaranteeing. Should something happen to it through transit, I would feel liable. At this time I will have to decline. It is much safer financial move to pay for the switches myself. That way should they have an issue I can deal with whomever sold them to me. Sorry.

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.

Offline Elim Vos

• Master Force User
  • doing what is necessary is not always right
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2013, 12:58:42 PM »
payment sent for both with red LED's

they look fantastic

thanks again

E
"In the Light, I have Balance. In the Darkness, I am Free"

Offline Deceptae

• Force User
  • Power, Passion, Strength
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2013, 01:41:10 PM »
would it be possible to take a center dot led, color the button around the dot, and engrave a design into the colored section? if so, what colors would the design be most visible with?
thanks, and may the Force be with you!
...The Force Shall Set Me Free.

Offline Johannes Huber

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2013, 06:31:12 PM »
Beautiful and very subtle job on these. I'm not even sure how you managed to get the logo on the 12 mm switch so fine and clean. These definitely would have a place on any high end build that fits the concept. I'll be very interested to see what other designs you come up with as well. Great work!

Offline Ari-Jaq Xulden

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2013, 09:13:45 PM »
would it be possible to take a center dot led, color the button around the dot, and engrave a design into the colored section? if so, what colors would the design be most visible with?
thanks, and may the Force be with you!

Again as these have basically the same construction, I don't see why not. That being said, I have not pulled one of the center dots apart as of yet, I have some on order, so I'll know in a few weeks. Bear in mind this is an ongoing experiment, some questions I physically have to chart the territory to give an answer. I would also have to verify with my engraver if his machine can do that. Hazarding a guess of a possible issue would be, If his machine needed the entire circle or whether it could programed for the doughnut shape. I'll results as soon as I have the answer.

As far as colors go, that would have to be personal preference. People see differently too, what might be distinct to me, may not be to you. Personally I like both the Black, and the Cermarkâ„¢ grey. Both pop against the polished metal. You could also customize them, with outer ring 1 PC color, say to match you hilt color, then another center color. One of my next examples I was considering doing the outer ring in a candy copper, then inner button black with the polished engraving. Lots of up-sells there though, I couldn't do all that for $32. The color of the led can also change how it looks. Whereas the one example I described might look great with a white or yellow led but not a cyan led.

Update: I have a had a few questions that have been pmed to me. One more than once and I would rather move it to open forum than have to field the same question over and again in private. I have paraphrased and removed sensitive info to protect those who asked.

My Idea for the center dot was that the light be the center dot in the logo, with the rest of the logo engraved around it, incorporating the light into the logo itself. The light would be either red, yellow, or amber. What I was trying to convey was the idea of powder coating the area around the led and engraving the symbol on the powder coating, but now that I think about it, that would eventually fade with use of the button, so perhaps not such a good idea. thoughts, comments, and questions welcome.

I realize part of the fault is mine for not better describing the processes involved, but that is part of the secret sauce as it were. The two methods employed will not fade in anyway. Cermarkâ„¢(dark grey) actually bonds with the metal during the process, and the powder coat creates a plastic coating that also bonds to the metal. Whereas the Cermarkâ„¢ superimposes onto the metal, it is the powder coat that becomes engraved. I have polished the metal after engraving with no harm to the remaining powder coating, same with the Cermarkâ„¢ so I doubt finger/thumb use will wear it down.

As far as the logo on the dot AV's, I'll have an answer in a few weeks on whether powder coating is an option. I can already answer that Cermarkâ„¢ can be done, but the more complex, the more the cost. So long as my engraver can program his machine to do the doughnut shape, but there's the rub, more time = more money. He will also likely have to alter logos to fit within the parameters of the doughnut shape as to not harm the lightpipe in the center, again more time = more money. Not money in my pocket either, this is engraver cost which I stated is the bulk of the cost already. As Kit pointed out these guys do not work cheap.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 07:14:10 AM by Ari-Jaq Xulden »

retrousse