fiduciary

Author Topic: Parks pics on Ebay; improved EL brightness question  (Read 3705 times)

Seth Ski-Woo

Parks pics on Ebay; improved EL brightness question
« on: May 03, 2006, 04:27:13 AM »
Hi,
Didn't know whether this fell into "New Ideas and Technology", as EL seems to be the saber tech that's being left behind.
Anyway firstly, for any Brits interested in a Parks saber, I noticed one being sold on Ebay in London - although it's no cheap bargain (£150), it looks pristine and would be a saving on getting one made and shipped. I also thought it was worth mentioning as there's some lovely big close up pics - I really think these hilts are beautiful, even if the EL tech compares unfavourably on the brightness front to Luxeon systems (at the more affordable end) and other systems like Hyperdyne (for the more minted).
It's at:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Parks-EL-Lightsaber-The-ultimate-collectors-item_W0QQitemZ6053960060QQcategoryZ93842QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Ooh! And there's another one, too, anakin AOTC style... again, worth a mention, as i don't see them on ebay that often...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Parks-Sabers-Rogue-Lightsaber-Hilt-Blade-Star-Wars_W0QQitemZ7615688601QQcategoryZ60361QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Also, in relation to brightness, I noticed on Parks' site that in some sabers he uses what he calls his "deuce" system, where he has 2 9v batteries and claims blade is 35% brighter... does anyone know how this compares with a standard LED strip MR FX? Or for the more techy among you, if there is potential to get more brightness from EL technology?
If only he'd do luxeons with sound in his own hilts....  ::)

Offline jack3auer

• Do or Do Not there is No Try
  • Master Force User
Re: Parks pics on Ebay; improved EL brightness question
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 05:26:25 AM »
wow that first one is fantastic, though it looks more like something from startrek if you ask me.

nice find, thanks for sharing

Offline Jedibum

• WOLF IN SHEEPS CLOTHING
  • Force User
    • Hyperdyne Labs
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 06:32:02 AM »
Hi Seth Ski-Woo!

Yes, it's true, many of Parks Sabers hilts are very cool to look at ... it is unfortunate that he is stuck on a dated technology. 
To answer your question ... No ... his "duece" technology offers little improvement and is still not very impressive when compared to modern MR FX and Luxeon LED's.  It is true that the blade does become slightly brighter when utilizing 2 9volt batteries ... but it's like switching from a 50 watt light bulb to a 60 watt light bulb ... nothing significant. 
It should also be worth mentioning that Parks only offers this "duece" technology with one of their sabers ... it's the Graflex model (ANH Luke).  On the same note, Lightech Industries has been utilizing 2 9volt's in most of their hilts for some time.

Basically if you stood there and stared at an ignited EL blade with 2 9volt batteries hooked up ... and you unplugged one ... you would notice a VERY slight dim of the blade ... and if you plugged the second one back in it would become VERY slightly brighter ... but if you werent paying attention you might not even notice.  And yes I have done this ... many, many times ... I often stay up late with nothing to do ...
Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Ghost4

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 08:05:45 AM »
Yes, the bump to 18V (serial 9V's) doesn't make that much of a difference and actually is worse because it eats batteries.  It doesn't compare to a Luxeon or an MR.  EL is at the low end with the benefit that it has an even color.

Offline darthmaddy

• formerly known as Darth Malak
  • Master Force User
  • BATMAUL
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 12:16:13 PM »
Parksabers- The fourth most powerful sabers in the universe. :D
I'm not wearing hockey pads.

Seth Ski-Woo

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2006, 01:18:58 PM »
Parksabers- The fourth most powerful sabers in the universe. :D

...and in podium positions 1, 2 and 3?  ;)

Cheers for the info, Jedibum and Ghost 4 - that's disappointing but not surprising, in that I would think if there was a safe and affordable way to get brighter EL blades, someone would have done it already.

wow that first one is fantastic, though it looks more like something from startrek if you ask me.

Hehee - I see what you mean, hadn't thought of it that way before - both the ornate pointy-curvy-ness and the lots of lights give it a bit of a Trekky thing to my eye also. I'm still wowwed by the quality of the detail, though... Mmm-hmmm!!

Offline Gnosis

• Formerly known as Gnosis
  • Master Force User
  • The Bird King of La Mancha
    • This week in geek
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2006, 01:23:28 PM »
See, some of those parks hilts are really really nice but thier price range is just whoa....

"It is obvious that this contest cannot be decided by our knowledge of the Force... but by our skills with a lightsaber. "
Count Dooku

Sith Lord Adminstrator
countdooku@fx-sabers.com

Offline Hang Tuah Kenobi

• Experienced Force User
  • play nice with me
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2006, 02:03:03 AM »
If Klingon ever to use a lightsaber, this would be it. Parks' sabers r allright, but the first one has too much Trekkie feeling..

Offline Kyp Durron

• Master Force User
  • Member of the Lost 10
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2006, 06:19:48 AM »

...and in podium positions 1, 2 and 3?  ;)

In terms of brightness :

1. Hyperdyne

2. Luxeon (The base is much brighter than an MR)

3. MR -Good brightness, and evenly lit blade.

-Kyp

2010...I certainly hope it's better than 2009 was! ::)
10/10/10~Well, so far with my Father's passing away, I'd say that this year was actually worse than 2009, even the fact that I now have a full time job (For now) isn't anywhere near enough to make up for that...so...maybe 2011 will be better? I'm not holding my breath... ::)

Ghost4

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2006, 07:01:24 AM »
You forget "plasma" sabers too. ;)  Parks... #5.

Seth Ski-Woo

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2006, 12:40:47 PM »
Poor old Parks  :'( I guess the general consensus is that EL has had its day...

...and Kyp, how about the Photon Innovations multi strip LED sabers? I'm guessing they're similar to the Hyperdyne's in how the basic blade lighting works (without the light effects), but I'd be curious how they compare to one another as far as brightness goes. Must pip the Luxeons to the post, surely?

retrousse