fiduciary

Author Topic: 1" Thick Walled Neopixel Blade Durability Tests  (Read 2564 times)

Offline Megtooth Sith

• No Force
  • Having fun learning the hobby.
    • My Youtube Channel
1" Thick Walled Neopixel Blade Durability Tests
« on: December 03, 2019, 12:06:39 PM »
Greetings everyone,

I build a TCSS thick-walled 1" blade with neopixels.  I used clear 1" thick-walled tubing.  TCSS Strip Diffuser.  TCSS V2 foam.  3535 strips, clear 1/2" shrink and cellophane wraps.  I basically made the pixel strip so that they were tight into the foam, and that the foam was wrapped with cellophane until it was tight going into strip diffuser.  I did this to insulate the fragile strips as much as possible from impacts of the blade.  I also hardened the wiring to the neopixel strips and to the TCSS adapter.  I built this blade specifically for this test. 

In testing, I used my Dark Force Custom Sabers Transcendence, which is installed with Proffie 1.5.  I also insulated my proffie for the test.  This is a very tough hilt, and a very tough blade.  I did use packing tape on the blade tip to make sure it didn't come flying off. 

Disclaimer:  DO NOT TRY THIS WITH A THIN WALLED NEOPIXEL BLADE, this blade was specifically built to be tough, and is thick-walled.
Results: 

Neopixel blades can be built to be tough, it just takes a bit more effort.  This blade is fairly heavy in weight. 

Offline EXAR KUN

• SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
Re: 1" Thick Walled Neopixel Blade Durability Tests
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 09:01:11 AM »
Awesome test my friend!

Very strong thick walled blade you constructed! Incredibly well done thanks for doing the test.

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 10:48:31 AM »
Nice work.  What is the difference with the TCSS V2 foam? I have to say I wasn't a fan of the original foam.  The thumb nails look more similar to the foam I've been using since the beginning.

Offline bombarta

• Master Force User
  • Impressive..... most Impressive!
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 11:09:59 AM »
Nice work.  What is the difference with the TCSS V2 foam? I have to say I wasn't a fan of the original foam.  The thumb nails look more similar to the foam I've been using since the beginning.
V2 foam is more like the MR foam, much denser than V1 so cuts down massively on the pop corn effect.
I don't know, i gotta bad feeling about this!

Offline Megtooth Sith

• No Force
  • Having fun learning the hobby.
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2019, 02:39:11 PM »
V2 foam is more like the MR foam, much denser than V1 so cuts down massively on the pop corn effect.

V2 foam was modeled after the MR, thanks to Bomb.  He got a sample of it to Khal, and Khal worked his magic, and is now the worldwide distributor of the stuff to the saber community, even TCSS.  So, its really Khal's foam, but.....Thanks Bombarta!  You made our lives much easier!

Tom

retrousse