fiduciary

Author Topic: FREE FONT: METROPOLIS  (Read 17625 times)

Offline TheBaconWizard

• Experienced Force User
  • Font artist
    • CrystalSonix
FREE FONT: METROPOLIS
« on: April 18, 2016, 01:30:47 PM »
Ladies and Gentlemen.

This is my first foray into public font production!
I am a huge fan of the 1927 sci-fi epic and masterpiece METROPOLIS and am honouring it with a custom saber that is currently mid-build. I wanted a special font for it and so here it is.

This is an unusual font in that it is orchestral. Making it work was very tough with many sounds discarded along the way even after a ton of work.
But nothing else would capture the epic nature of the film nor do it justice but huge orchestral pads, steam, mechanical noises, electricity etc. There is not a single sound in the font that is not a real recording of a real-world instrument or object, although some of them have been highly processed. I was also acutely aware of John Williams' legacy in Star Wars, and was determined not to disgrace that either.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dq146nmig3iajvv/MetropolisCF8.zip?dl=0

This is currently optimized for CF8 and other Plectar Lab products. If you would like an NEC version, please let me know: I am still researching how to label the files etc.

I hope you will add this to your collection and enjoy the unique results, I feel like it was well worth the effort in the end.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 08:22:33 PM by TheBaconWizard »

Offline highflyer

• Experienced Force User
  • Um...Hello?
Re: FREE FONT: METROPOLIS
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 03:14:17 PM »
this is ridiculously awesome and unique. thank you for this!
looking forward to more fonts from you. and if they are as good as this one, I will gladly pay for them.

Offline CET

• Force User
  • Humble Padawan
    • Lightsaber Team
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 04:00:03 PM »
So awesome, I may have to use it for tomorrow night!

I really like the hum in the background. Would it be possible to hear just the hum without the piano and strings?

Offline TheBaconWizard

• Experienced Force User
  • Font artist
    • CrystalSonix
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 05:06:15 PM »

I really like the hum in the background. Would it be possible to hear just the hum without the piano and strings?

Edit: Download it again, I have now included 3 hums in total, each with slightly different complexity/musicality to suit different tastes or occasions  :azn:
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 08:21:34 PM by TheBaconWizard »

Offline erv

• Plecter Labs Inc. "Keeper of the Buttered Toast"
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Irvin PLECTER
    • Plecter Labs - Props Electronics
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 09:38:04 PM »
I'll definitely try it. Did you watch the version with Martin Matalon's music on it ?

Offline TheBaconWizard

• Experienced Force User
  • Font artist
    • CrystalSonix
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 09:49:36 PM »
I'll definitely try it. Did you watch the version with Martin Matalon's music on it ?

I have and like both :) But I prefer to listen to his more modern version on its own without watching the film.

Offline erv

• Plecter Labs Inc. "Keeper of the Buttered Toast"
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Irvin PLECTER
    • Plecter Labs - Props Electronics
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 09:57:45 PM »
really great score, I was just an intern at Ircam at that time, and when it was premiered at the Chatelet teather, it was my first contemporary music concert (film projected + live orchestra + live electronics). Great memories you're bringing back with this font.

Offline TheBaconWizard

• Experienced Force User
  • Font artist
    • CrystalSonix
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 12:49:20 AM »
really great score, I was just an intern at Ircam at that time, and when it was premiered at the Chatelet teather, it was my first contemporary music concert (film projected + live orchestra + live electronics). Great memories you're bringing back with this font.

It's mindblowing. I hear a lot of Herbie Hancock in there among so much else. I'd cut my arm off to hear it live!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 12:18:35 PM by TheBaconWizard »

Offline CET

• Force User
  • Humble Padawan
    • Lightsaber Team
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2016, 11:31:06 AM »

Edit: Download it again, I have now included 3 hums in total, each with slightly different complexity/musicality to suit different tastes or occasions  :azn:

That is a badass hum!! Great work  man!

Offline CET

• Force User
  • Humble Padawan
    • Lightsaber Team
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2016, 05:21:59 PM »
Here's a crappy video of your sound font in action. Do you have a website or something you want me to link up to?

Offline TheBaconWizard

• Experienced Force User
  • Font artist
    • CrystalSonix
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2016, 05:57:37 AM »
Thanks for the offer, but no I don't have anything like that. I might do something soon, but it's still early days in my fontmaking career if there will even be such a thing.  I might be forced-to actually, as I don't see any other way of offering custom-made fonts which as you know is what I'd like to do. Time will tell.

Offline highflyer

• Experienced Force User
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2016, 06:57:09 AM »
you can always submit them to saberfont.com
though the wait time is pretty long for first-timers I think as the volunteers running the site (Vader's Vaults Luminaara I think?) are pretty busy right now.

Offline TheBaconWizard

• Experienced Force User
  • Font artist
    • CrystalSonix
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2016, 07:20:22 AM »
you can always submit them to saberfont.com
though the wait time is pretty long for first-timers I think as the volunteers running the site (Vader's Vaults Luminaara I think?) are pretty busy right now.

Non custom ones, yeah. But I mean one time only.. one guy, one saber, one font never to be heard anywhere except if that actual saber is in use. For example I did a Fett font for Darkmatter73 to go with his Slave1.5 saber using Slave1's engine noises etc.

I'm working on a sith font at the mo which I intend to submit to saberfont.com, so black I expect people to question my soul  :evil:

Offline Pinousse

• Master Force User
  • If so powerfull you are, why leave?
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2016, 08:34:21 AM »
Bring back memories  :angel:

Offline MikeyX

• Force User
  • Star Wars collector in the UK.
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2016, 01:09:10 PM »
Just loaded this on a CS saber as a quick test. Absolutely fantastic font - certainly unlike any other font I've come across, and very evocative of the flilm. Loving the multiple layers on the default hum - will have to try the alternate hums, and load it onto a CF saber at some point. Also might tone down the volume a bit on the 'landscape' loop and try it out as a menu background.

Many thanks for sharing it  :grin:

retrousse