fiduciary

Author Topic: Help with Buying LED  (Read 2032 times)

Offline Birilli

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
Help with Buying LED
« on: December 27, 2016, 11:46:41 AM »
Hi everyone,

I'm looking at ordering my first custom LED and don't know the best place to order from.

I'm looking at getting a Lime/Red/White setup for a yellow blade with white FoC. Can anybody advise which white is best for the FoC?

I see that some people purchase direct from Luxeon, while others go through somewhere like LEDSupply.

As this is the first time I will be doing this, I thought it was best to ask the font of knowledge that is this forum.

Look forward to hearing from you guys.

Thanks,

Birilli
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 01:03:17 PM by Birilli »

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
Re: Help with Buying LED
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 12:47:22 PM »
What board are you using for your saber? Some boards allow full custom colors, others simply the main color to the FoC color.

Offline Birilli

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 01:02:21 PM »
What board are you using for your saber? Some boards allow full custom colors, others simply the main color to the FoC color.

Thanks for replying.

This will be using a NBv3

Offline Ridire Fíréan

• Force User
  • Up&down&around the bend a Jedi's story never ends
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 03:42:41 PM »
Hey Birilli! If you haven't already found what you're looking for:

If you're trying to build your own Tri-Cree on the same star pads as The Custom Saber Shop and other finished component suppliers, you'll be looking for a SinkPad-II 1938c.  Unfortunately, the only way I can find them for sale is 2 panel sheets (minimum order) of stars = 30 pieces (stars) = $100 from SinkPad.com which is now AduraLED.com.  So, the good news is that translates to $3.30 per star.  Bad news is that if you have no need of the other 29 stars, you're stuck with $96.70 of product.  Therefor, you'll have essentially paid $100 for one SinkPad-II.  Plus a few dollars a piece for the CREE XP-E2's from Digikey.com or Mouser.com.

OR, you could spend $27.50 from TCCS... http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Custom-Tri-Cree-LED-with-modified-base-P1139.aspx

Or, contact SaberBay on Etsy $24.00 - $34.00

Or, if you're in England/Europe, contact Etsy :: Your place to buy and sell all things handmade  $22.19 - $25.35

As far as "which white is best for FoC", that depends entirely on the way YOU want it to look.  There are warmer, more yellowish whites, white whites, and more blueish whites.  Each will effect your main blade color differently.  If you go the $100 route for the stars, all you have to do is order up at least one of each type of white, 3 of your preferred green, and 3 of your preferred red, and experiment by creating 3 different Tri-CREE stars (out of your 29 'spares' ;) ) and see which one you like the FoC best in and use that one in your saber!

I know what it's like to want to build every component yourself, sort of a "Your skills are complete" kind of thing, where you can say you made it all yourself.  But then you start adding up the cost of all of the tools, machines, powersupplies, etc., and it's quite daunting! 

Good Luck in your build!

Offline WookieCookie

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 09:27:41 AM »
LEDSupply is a couple of dollars cheaper than TCSS if you want a custom led setup made. I don't know what the wait time is for TCSS to make custom LEDS but LEDSupply takes a little over a week. I've gone with them before and their customer service is great as well as Tim at TCSS. Neutral white is a safe bet since it blends nicely with any color when used with FoC. If you're looking for that stark contrast though cool white might be better. Unfortunately it's hard to explain/show what the colors look like without looking at the actual LEDs. If you don't mind experimenting and spending a little extra money then maybe you could buy single rebel LEDs of both cool white and warm white and test to see which one you like best. Of course if you want something in between then you would go for the neutral white.

Offline Birilli

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 06:44:18 AM »
Thank you everybody for the replies. I ended up buying a Tri-Cree from KR Sabers here in the UK, but I will probably be purchasing direct from Luxeon for a few future setups

retrousse