fiduciary

Author Topic: DIY Hilt  (Read 1384 times)

Offline the_propmaker

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
DIY Hilt
« on: May 19, 2018, 03:24:22 PM »
New to the forum here, as well as to functional saber building. I've done a lot of propmaking in the past, but only ever non-functional stuff. Lightsaber hilts made from PVC, blasters made from modded Nerf guns and such, things like that. What I really want to do is to build my own stunt saber. I'd like to fabricate the hilt, you know, aluminum tubing and all that, but I need to know what the inner dimensions need to be to allow the internal electronics to fit. I'm also looking on the cheap side of soundboards. I've been searching the Web for weeks, and I wouldn't be posting here if I'd found what I'm looking for anywhere else. If anyone is willing to lend a hand, post the necessary dimensions for the electronics to fit snugly in the hilt, I would much appreciate it.

Offline SUPREME LEADER SNOKE

• SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Force User
  • Um...Hello?
Re: DIY Hilt
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 04:46:23 PM »
Welcome.

Stunt usually means no sound but since you mentioned sound we’ll go with that. I’m general, there is no one answer to your main question on dimensions. It really depends on your sound board and battery choices.Some boards are wider/longer than others. Some battery packs come as single cells, some as two cells end to end, and others side by side. you also have to consider a chassis. Most well built sabers have them and the are used to hold the electronics as well as provide some additional protection/insulation.

Once you figure out the electronics it’ll be easier for others to guide you. Typically though, 1.25” ID will be good for most options. 1.18” or 1.12” for others. And even 1” ID can work for some electronics. The 18500/18650 Li Ion that is commonly used is roughly .73-.75” when assembled with pcb protection and heatshrink.

Take that ridiculous thing off.

Offline the_propmaker

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 09:44:31 PM »
Thanks for the info. Yeah, I realize that I don't know all the proper terminology, like I said this would be my first build. I'll start to look into a chassis and some of the electronics.

Offline Jediseth

• Force User
  • Jediseth sound fonts available at saberfont.com
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 10:12:25 PM »
I would get real familiar with The Custom Saber Shop on YouTube. Even if your are making your own saber from scratch you will learn a lot about the electronics and many other things saber related on that channel. Looking at the MHS parts at  The Custom Saber Shop can also answer a lot of the questions your asking.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 10:14:06 PM by Jediseth »

retrousse