fiduciary

Author Topic: Yet Another Darth Maul Review  (Read 7467 times)

Offline cw

• Force User
  • I see you have constructed a new lightsaber....
Re: Yet Another Darth Maul Review
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2006, 07:14:58 PM »
If the ANH version takes 6 AA alkaline batteries, isn't it running on 9 volts? Also the power
pix say that they are nickel oxy hydroxide and some reviews say they run at 1.6 volts. I also just read that
they run stronger and keep their voltage but can shorten the life of bulbs, flashlights and other
devices. If they do hold a steady charge over their lifespan and they are safe I'd really like
to try them, since they seem to be a reasonable price. I think the battery companies should stop making
so many "digital camera" batteries and come out with "saber only" batteries. lol. I can see the little ignited
lightsaber on the side of the duracell package now. lol.

Offline todd4566

• Force User
  • I'm thinking.
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2006, 12:57:46 PM »
The ANH Vader isn't running at 9v.. I've read 6v, but I'll have to check my Luke FX sometime to be sure.  Regardless, the MR LED's can handle 20ma, and I believe the stock configuration is only running them @ 16ma.  Using 1.6v batteries over a 1.5v is only bumping the voltage .3; definitely not enough of an increase to worry about.. and those AAA batteries won't stay 1.6v for long once you turn the Maul on!  I'd be happy to run the Maul at 6v if there was such a thing as a 2v AAA.   :D
My collection:
2002 Anakin AOTC
2003 Vader ANH  **Sold**
2004 Luke ESB  **Sold**
2005 Anakin ROTS **Sold**
2005 Vader ESB **Sold**
2005 Luke ROTJ **Sold**
2006 Maul TPM
Custom 5w Luxeon (Green/Royal Blue)
2006 Obi-Wan ROTS  **Sold**
2007 Yoda
2007 Luke ANH
2008 Obi-Wan TPM
2010 Anakin ROTS (Removeable Blade)

Offline cw

• Force User
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2006, 08:00:44 PM »
I tried the PowerPix in a few of my sabers. It makes them intense. I'm dying to put them in the maul
but the instructions really stress the "alkaline only" statement and I don't think that the PowerPix are
alkaline. (oxy-hydroxide I think)  If anyone has info on these batteries and why MR seems to stress the alkaline thing
that would be great. If it's just the voltage  then I think they are safe (1.5 volts) but does the actual chemical
make up of a battery harm force fx sabers if it's not alkaline?

Offline todd4566

• Force User
  • I'm thinking.
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2006, 11:36:29 AM »
Taken from Duracells homepage:

4. What happens if a consumer installs a PowerPix™ battery in a device other than digital cameras? While we recommend that Duracell ® PowerPix ™ only be used in digital cameras:

*The consumer will not see a performance advantage versus regular or premium alkaline in other devices

*Flashlights may burn brighter, and motors may run faster but for shorter durations than with alkaline because of the higher operating voltage of PowerPix ™

Since the MR board and LED are already running lower than what they can handle (MR board can handle 6v but the LEDS will have a slightly reduce lifespan), I don't concern myself with putting them in the FX's.  The chemical makeup of the Powerpix is the reason for the increase in voltage.. MR stresses alkaline only since other battery makeups produce higher/lower voltages than the 1.5v batteries it was designed to use; it's a warrantly disclaimer, and probably prevents a few returns from people trying 1.3v NiHM batteries  (dim blade  poor sounds). 
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 11:43:33 AM by todd4566 »
My collection:
2002 Anakin AOTC
2003 Vader ANH  **Sold**
2004 Luke ESB  **Sold**
2005 Anakin ROTS **Sold**
2005 Vader ESB **Sold**
2005 Luke ROTJ **Sold**
2006 Maul TPM
Custom 5w Luxeon (Green/Royal Blue)
2006 Obi-Wan ROTS  **Sold**
2007 Yoda
2007 Luke ANH
2008 Obi-Wan TPM
2010 Anakin ROTS (Removeable Blade)

Offline cw

• Force User
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2006, 07:02:43 PM »
Thanks Todd. I did read that before and when I saw the part about lights burning brighter I thought
they might shorten the LED lifespan. If voltage is all that's important then the PowerPix should be
fine because they are 1.5 volts the same as alkalines.

retrousse