fiduciary

Author Topic: Simple CS2 RussRep V2 WIP...finished pics and video on page 2  (Read 11771 times)

Offline CHEWBACCA

• JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MH
I ended up with 2 of these recently.  One that was untouched (hasn't arrived but should be here any day now) and one that already had a 1" blade hole machined into the blade holder.  When they machined it they made a 7/8th adapter and after looking at it I realized I had enough space to put the LED in the emitter and with the help of the adapters I could have a good sturdy blade holder.  I realize others have done this but this is how I did it.

First I decided to bore out the blade holder a little more so I could make a 1" adapter as well as the 7/8th" adapter.  I also machined a little deeper than what was already cut so I could get as much room as possible.

The way I plan on it working is to have 4 small 4-40 set screws in the 7/8th adapter to secure the blade in it and then slide the blade holder with blade into the emitter and it will be locked down with the existing set screw.  I will dimple the blade adapter where the set screw is to secure it.  This will keep the blade in there for any dueling anyone would want to do.

For the 1" blade adapter I will just drill a hole through it since its so thin.  The set screw will go through it and secure the blade.  It should be fine but the set screw (was already there) is a little low on the blade so the blade may need to be glued into the adapter.  Not a big deal as a blade could be purchased specifically for the saber etc.

both of the blade adapters and the blade plug have recesses in them that secure the LED in place.  It shouldn't go anywhere but its just added insurance.  They also have a built in blade stop to protect the lens.

alright enough typing here are some pics.  I will post more and explain what I am doing when I move onto the other parts of the saber.  I am not going to go crazy with it because its just getting a CS but it will be a nice saber.

First I stripped the saber and will do my own worn weathered look that I like to do on all my V2s. 

Next I drilled out the blade holder to 3/8th and made a copper heatsink for it.  I made it slight oversize so I could press fit it in there...
Here are pics of that

click all pics to see larger pics.

and here is a pic of the LED in place

Here is a pic of the top of the blade adapters and plug which shows the blade stop

and here is a pic of the bottom of them showing the recess for the LED lens

Here are 2 pics of the blade plug in place

Here are 2 pics of the 7/8th" blade adapter

and finally 2 pics of the 1" blade adapter

I hope to have more time this week.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 07:53:43 AM by CHEWBACCA »

Offline Sandpeople are people too

• Once made Darth Vader Chuckle
  • Master Force User
Re: Simple CS2 RussRep V2 WIP
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 09:38:56 PM »
Nice to see this happening- I had one, but ended up getting rid of it as the custom work needed was a bit more than I was up for.

Offline Darth Ryô

• Experienced Force User
  • Glory of the Hunt
    • My blog: GOTH Custom Sabers
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 12:19:27 AM »
Cool, I'll follow that one with interest to see what else you'll come up with!
Good luck  :D

Offline basalter

• Experienced Force User
    • A pinch of Salter
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 01:59:16 AM »
This looks like it is going to be an inspired build! Will be following with enthusiasm.

Offline CHEWBACCA

• Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MH
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 05:12:28 AM »
Thanks.

Its not going to be a fancy crystal chamber build but it should be a nice show/functional piece.

Offline Greebles

• Formerly known as Codeweasel
  • Master Force User
  • “You must unlearn what you have learned.”
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 05:53:30 AM »
This is excellent!

I really appreciate when members take the time to share how they go about their builds.

Thanks for sharing.

-Denzil

Offline EXAR KUN

• SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 09:06:39 AM »
Perfectly fitting bladeholders!

Looks solid when the plug is in place, but functional with multiple blade types. Very cool.
Nice work.

Offline sithslayer1

• Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 10:50:08 AM »
That looks like it will be a beautiful piece. How thin is the neck? I believe LDM/GG's Hero and V2 were .65", just curious what the comparison is.

Offline CHEWBACCA

• Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MH
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 12:22:15 PM »
Thanks.

The neck is .66"

Offline CHEWBACCA

• Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MH
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 06:26:40 PM »
Got a few minutes to work on my machines today.  I bored out the part under the graflex clamp and the back end of the saber.  I also took a piece of delrin and made a chassis for it to fit the CS and the mini speaker sold at TCSS.

Here are the pics.  I am still learning on my mill and like a dummy didn't use the DRO (instead tried to freehand it) so the cutouts are not perfect but they work and will not be seen once the board is in anyway.  I am just stating it because you can see in the pic lol.

I still need to mill out the area for the recharge port on the chassis and some slots in the speaker mount area for the wires to pass through.

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known as Alex Gordon
    • Evolution Arms
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 07:19:32 PM »
Looking really slick.  Probably my favorite conversion so far.   8)

Offline Turgon

• Master Force User
  • Epic Bear sez " Can I haz two?"
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 11:45:30 PM »
Michael, you are indeed a pro.  Admitting to flaws that most people cannot even see!  I for one cannot see it.

I've broken Juggers in half, smashed their bones, left the ground behind me wet with brains. There's nothing I wouldn't do to win. But I never hurt anyone for any reason other than sticking a dog's skull on a stake.

Offline CHEWBACCA

• Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MH
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2014, 10:44:23 PM »
OK I finally got some more machine time tonight (I couldn't even get to my machines all week because I was redoing the shop).

Since I am not doing anything to the pommel I decided to vent the sound out the clamp area.  In my pics above the speaker mount is on the chassis and is pointing into the clamp area.

I didn't just want to drill holes like I have in the past on similar builds since I have a nice new machine with a rotary table and indexer.  I decided I would use a ball end mill and make grooves and then using the indexer drill 12 holes.  I am not sure how it will work but it has to be better than just holes without the valleys to spill out more sound...I will see soon enough I guess.

I marked off the holes in the graflex clamp area so I didn't make any of the grooves or holes in that area and then cut the grooves.  The outer grooves were cut with a 1/8th ball end mill and the middle one was a 3/8th ball end mill.  I didn't want to do 12 holes for the middle since the holes are so big so I settled on 4 (kept the same 12 notch indexer in there but just moved it around to make 4 holes).

The set screw and single hole were done by the previous owner and I aligned my holes with them since the set screw is to keep the clamp from sliding and where the largest clamp gap is.

Here are some pics...

« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 10:48:38 PM by CHEWBACCA »

Offline Justintmars

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • There is some peace?
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2014, 11:37:46 PM »
Those are some clean cuts CHEWIE!

Offline CHEWBACCA

• Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MH
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2014, 07:36:28 PM »
Thanks Justin.

I think I finished up the machining today.  I have to go over my check list but I am pretty sure all is done.  Sometime this week I will weather it and then the install.

I machined out the chassis for the recharge port.  I machined it with the little pin holes in the front to keep it from sliding once its in and I machined the back through to the center hole for the wires (you will see in the pics).

Also I made the battery holder.  I was going to use delrin but I had a thickwall blade that fits the 18650 nicely once its wired and wrapped in heatshrink.  I machined the ouside down to fit snugly in the ribbed section.  Then I machined a slot in it for the LED wires to pass through.  I cut it to the exact length of the inside of the ribbed section so when you screw the center section in it holds it securely without rattling.

Here are the pics...

Here you can see the pins for the port sticking up through the center hole:

Yeah there is a lot of dust and delrin debris on the middle pic...didn't think to clean it until the camera highlighted all of it lol.  That's the problem with taking pics right after getting the parts off the machines lol.

retrousse