fiduciary

Author Topic: LEGACY – The Killer Penny tribute run  (Read 44530 times)

Offline shiro

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
Re: LEGACY – The Killer Penny tribute run
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2014, 04:23:04 AM »
I started my saber collection back in MR era. However, sold most of them over time, as they are all sitting in the warehouse and never see daylight. Years past and I stumbled into this website and my passion for sabers kinda come back. I drool on Yoda's crystal saber and decided to make one for myself whenever I can grab one of those kit....

The Penny Killer run came up. I have not seen this saber before (sorry for my ignorance) and I have to say its one of the best looking saber I have seen, the use of copper and bronze just have a very different but strinking effect. And the more you look at it, the more you are drawn to it. For several time, I almost push the button and jump on the band wagon, but I know once I start, there will be so many more sabers that I want and the list will go on and on...

...Well, what I want to say is. Nice design, nice smith, and congrat to those who is on the list. :)

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2014, 06:33:23 AM »
To weigh in also on cost, it is a combination of what folks have said already.  First the materials costs are going to be high.  This is (unfortunately) unavoidable.  Copper is very high now to begin with and brass is not cheap either.  Next you have the historical significance of the piece.  At the time, it was revolutionary.  It inspired many of us to "up our game" so in that way it moved the rest of the industry forward and helped set the stage for some of the exceptional works you see today and would still stand proudly next to anything out there.  Then take in to account the complexity of the design with all the different pieces that go into this particular design.  All that machining with those materials are hard on the machines, much harder than aluminum (literally).  Bits will be broken (look up what replacement CNC bits cost), lots of cursing will happen (not trying to jinx you Wat).  Then, there are few hilts out there in the entire world made of these materials.  So there is the rarity. 

@Sanjuro, myself I'd like to see something in that mirrored gold.  If you also had access to a mirrored copper maybe that could be incorporated as well?

Facebook: VVFB

Offline Cad-Bayne

• Formerly known as Bayne-Fett
  • Master Force User
  • "Dead or Alive, you’re worth Credits to me"
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2014, 06:45:58 AM »
Sorry all, I had to remove myself from the Run :(

I have PM'd Watt and so the 13th Slot should be available for that lucky person who has been wanting that not so common chance at this spot. 

Offline Acerocket

• Formerly known as Wat Tambor
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2014, 07:13:41 AM »
There is already a waiting list formed (a few PMs have already been received).  If you wish to be on the waiting list, post or PM and I will add you - but I am not making any promises - I am fairly sure one on the list will take that 13th spot - I will update the list once I hear back from the waiting list memebrs.

Now, as to price and material questions.  There are 4 materials used in this saber.  C145 copper, also know as Tellurium copper and is classified as an easy to machine copper.  It is easier to machine than C110 copper but still a little harder than machining aluminum.  There is also C360 Brass, also known as ultra-machinable brass. C260 brass, known as formable brass, and some Delrin.

To give and idea of cost differences.  I am using prices form mcmaster.com since they are easy for everyone to find themselves if they choose.
Assuming a typical 12" long bar of 2" diameter material:
C145 copper = $221.37
C110 copper = $153.74
C360 brass = $126.54
6061 aluminum = $23.39

As you can see, the C145 copper is 10X the price of aluminum and brass is about 5X that of aluminum.

As some have mentioned, there are other factors involved in the price.  Copper is a lot heavier than aluminum, so shipping costs will be higher.  Copper is a bit harder to machine.  Because I have to sort scrap from the machine (I can't mix aluminum chips with copper chips or brass chips, etc), I have to clean the conveyor and machine after each material change - this takes time.  There is also the 'rarity' of the run offering.  Only 13 sabers means they are going to be worth more each than if I made 200 of them.  There are design cost associated with the run.  And they are other factors I won't get into.  But suffice it to say, the single biggest reason for the price is the cost of the raw materials.

Offline Darth Smorgis

• Master Force User
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2014, 07:25:46 AM »
now time to forget about it until the box with the saber arrives.

You do realize that is going to be impossible right Alex?
I dare you to try  :))

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known as Alex Gordon
    • Evolution Arms
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2014, 07:28:29 AM »
now time to forget about it until the box with the saber arrives.

You do realize that is going to be impossible right Alex?
I dare you to try  :))

Yeah, I know.  Especially this one.  I mean, I do have plenty of other OM hilts to occupy myself until the run is over.  I can dream though right? 

Btw, WAT, I know the original killer penny was made entirely on a mill, but will this run be made entirely on the mill or will it be a mill/lathe combo run like most of the others?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 07:31:54 AM by ANAKIN SKYWALKER »

Offline Acerocket

• Formerly known as Wat Tambor
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2014, 08:28:04 AM »
Btw, WAT, I know the original killer penny was made entirely on a mill, but will this run be made entirely on the mill or will it be a mill/lathe combo run like most of the others?

No way!  I have a lathe and I am not afraid to use it.

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2014, 08:29:34 AM »
Hahahaha! :))

Facebook: VVFB

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Evolution Arms
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2014, 08:33:06 AM »
Lol, cool.  I was hoping you weren't going to make it harder on yourself just to stay true to the original

Offline EXAR KUN

• SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2014, 10:04:00 AM »
Hey, this is just a small note to those involved in the run, in regards to the stand Sanjuro will make.

If I might make a suggestion to at least consider....

Being a designer, I thought of something you may not have considered.

I read some saying that they wish the stand to be copper, gold-colored, or bronze-colored.
Might I suggest to at least consider the option of using a complimentary color to the gold or copper.

You see, the gold or copper colored stand will be awesome for sure, but it will all appear very similar in coloring and you may not get the 'pop' of the saber shape (which is very unique, obviously).

However, if you choose opposite colors to the colors of the saber; the saber itself will 'pop' out and the lines of it will be complimented.

On the color wheel, the colors opposite to yellow and orange shades are blues and violets.
Also, by looking at some of the great photography some have displayed in regards to completed custom saber photos, I really like reflective black/mirror on a table or stand which gives a very clear and vivid reflection of the saber that sits atop.

I'm not a part of the run, and this is just one idea to consider.
Congrats to everyone involved I can't wait to see the progress of not only the saber itself, but the peripheral items as well.

:)

Offline Scorpion

• Master Force User
  • GET OVER HERE!!!
« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2014, 10:16:09 AM »
i agree space, a contrasting color does indeed make the saber stand out even more, a simple clear mirrored finish would make it "pop"
and a gold mirrored name plate would look awesome

JQ SABERS MASTER ORGUS DIN CFX
JQ/LDM/MH GK3 OBI-WAN KENOBI Proffie
JQ MASTER REPLICAS LE SIDIOUS CONVERSION CS3
JQ~OM AWESOMESAUCE MAUL STAFF DUAL CFv7
LDM MKVI LUKE SKYWALKER ROTJ REVEAL CFv6
JQ SABERS OBI-WAN EP4 ANH (RUSSREP)CSV4
FX SABERS VINTAGE GRAFLEX IV ANH CFv5
FX SABERS VINTAGE GRAFLEX V ESB CFv5
JQ SABERS OBI-WAN REVEAL AOTC CS3.0
JQ~VV STARKILLER #2 RUN1 CFv6 cex
JQ~OM ANAKIN "Skinnyflex" CS3
JQ~TRIDCLOUD ANAKIN AOTC CFv7
SC~VV QUIGON JINN #2 CFv5
OM OBIWAN TPM #2 CFv5
JQ SABERS LUKE ROTJ CFv4
JQ~korbanth DOOKU CS2
JQ~korbanth SIDIOUS CS2
JQ SABERS Kylo Ren CS3
LINK TO MY SABERS

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Evolution Arms
« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2014, 11:32:12 AM »
I think the furthest we'd want to contrast would be silver mirrored, as blue would be tough to look just right.  you can't go wrong with the contrast of black, or a dark stained wood  for a base layer. 

Others have mentioned that the saber itself needs to be the eye catcher, but in reality, it always is.  I really liked what was done with the halo saber stand with the floating rings, but, I definitely don't want anything covering the front of the saber.  The saber itself is very symmetrical, so it isn't necessary to have a mirrored surface on the rear side of the stand to show any details that you won't already see.  It wouldn't be bad to have a reflective surface on the rear side of the saber, but it just isn't as necessary as a reflective surface on the top of the base for this particular saber. 

@WAT, another few questions.  If the charge port goes in the pommel, the pli goes in the control box, and a rice port goes in the covertec, how is this saber going to open up?  I'm already thinking of recessing the pli so the grip moves freely (which would require that the rice port was moved unless the grip separates at the "pipe" section), but something has to be able to open somewhere for sd card access. 

Whether or not we get the rice port in the covertec, will we still have the greeblie that sits in the middle of the covertec knob?  It would have to be a plug for the rice port if that option was used I guess. 

Will the holes be pre drilled for the switches based on the option that we choose?  I see that you said you will be including parts to add switches to the control box, but does that mean we will have to drill our own holes there?

« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 11:34:14 AM by ANAKIN SKYWALKER »

Offline Darth Smorgis

• Master Force User
« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2014, 11:48:17 AM »

Whether or not we get the rice port in the covertec, will we still have the greeblie that sits in the middle of the covertec knob?  It would have to be a plug for the rice port if that option was used I guess. 

I don't believe you need to make a decision on the covertec.  The way I'm reading it, we receive both options and you choose which one you want to istall.  Although having the rice port installed there with the greeblie being a plug to make the rice port disappear while on display is a great idea.  I wonder if that will be possible.

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Evolution Arms
« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2014, 04:40:36 PM »

I don't believe you need to make a decision on the covertec.  The way I'm reading it, we receive both options and you choose which one you want to istall.  Although having the rice port installed there with the greeblie being a plug to make the rice port disappear while on display is a great idea.  I wonder if that will be possible.

yeah, but reading it that way, it seems like we'd have a lot of extra parts depending on how we setup the saber.  Just trying to clear up the options a little, though I'm sure we'll have some time before we have to decide. 

I went ahead and moved the posts that only pertained to the stand for this to sanjuro's section.  Sanjuro and I touched base about it and it seemed like it would be much easier for him to have all of the posts pertaining to the stand in one spot, while all of the chatter continues here about the run itself.  If your posts had other things in them besides the stand, I did not move them.  Please re-post your ideas/requests in the thread located in sanjuro's section and linked below.  Updates about the stand will be posted in both threads, but again, this way sanjuro won't have to sort through dozens of posts to find tidbits related to the stands. 

Legacy stand thread
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 04:52:12 PM by ANAKIN SKYWALKER »

Offline Darth Smorgis

• Master Force User
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2014, 12:19:45 PM »
I am also curious as to the time frame of this run as I don't think it was mentioned.
I am not trying to pin you down, but was simply wondering what your gut is telling you.  3 months, 6 months, 12 months?  Just a rough estimate would be great.

retrousse