fiduciary

Author Topic: LEGACY – The Killer Penny tribute run  (Read 44511 times)

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known as Alex Gordon
    • Evolution Arms
Re: LEGACY – The Killer Penny tribute run
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2014, 01:59:06 PM »
yep, you pretty much nailed it.

Never thought I'd be on a run like this, nor did I think this run would ever happen.  Sooooo excited!  now time to forget about it until the box with the saber arrives. 

Oh, and about the other "goodies", I think a blade plug would be great as well as a plaque and either something like a shadow box or some other kind of display.  Personally, I'm very fond of the MR LE style cases, but I don't think that fits this saber very well.  It has to have something more steampunkish.  The shadow box like yoda does would really fit great with some kind of a dark stain but the alternative would have to be a carrying case that doubles as a display when you open it.  That's not to say a samsonite case with a sanjuro full custom stand in it (like the drink cooler in the weapons demo in iron man), but the padding for the saber would have to be nice enough that it looked like it was built specifically for being displayed that way.  I've also never seen a sanjuro stand that I've been disappointed by, so that would be another great option. 

Any kind of exploded view would be cool, but if it's going to be a huge wallhanger (bigger than say 5x8), then the display for the saber should also be "wall mount ready" as there isn't always a good way to put a saber on a table or in a display cabinet with a picture directly above/behind it.  Some people would be fine doing that while others would want to put both on the wall. 

Just my .02.  I also have to remember that this doesn't need to be overly generalized because it's only a 13 saber run, so we may all actually be able to agree on one thing or another. 
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 03:22:07 PM by ANAKIN SKYWALKER »

Offline Cad-Bayne

• Formerly known as Bayne-Fett
  • Master Force User
  • "Dead or Alive, you’re worth Credits to me"
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2014, 02:46:40 PM »
I want in.... One slot left... Please God... I want in.

Offline Scorpion

• Master Force User
  • GET OVER HERE!!!
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2014, 02:57:34 PM »
congrats to everyone who wanted in im sure it will be an awesome saber once finished

JQ SABERS MASTER ORGUS DIN CFX
JQ/LDM/MH GK3 OBI-WAN KENOBI Proffie
JQ MASTER REPLICAS LE SIDIOUS CONVERSION CS3
JQ~OM AWESOMESAUCE MAUL STAFF DUAL CFv7
LDM MKVI LUKE SKYWALKER ROTJ REVEAL CFv6
JQ SABERS OBI-WAN EP4 ANH (RUSSREP)CSV4
FX SABERS VINTAGE GRAFLEX IV ANH CFv5
FX SABERS VINTAGE GRAFLEX V ESB CFv5
JQ SABERS OBI-WAN REVEAL AOTC CS3.0
JQ~VV STARKILLER #2 RUN1 CFv6 cex
JQ~OM ANAKIN "Skinnyflex" CS3
JQ~TRIDCLOUD ANAKIN AOTC CFv7
SC~VV QUIGON JINN #2 CFv5
OM OBIWAN TPM #2 CFv5
JQ SABERS LUKE ROTJ CFv4
JQ~korbanth DOOKU CS2
JQ~korbanth SIDIOUS CS2
JQ SABERS Kylo Ren CS3
LINK TO MY SABERS

Offline Satori Hanzo

• Force User
  • Formerly Known as Squeaky Wheel
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2014, 03:45:32 PM »
Wow!!! Congratulations to everyone that got in on this. Absolutely a beautiful piece of functional art.
...and a powerful ally it is

The Force is as The Force does.

Offline Acerocket

• Formerly known as Wat Tambor
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2014, 05:22:07 PM »
All the spots are now filled.  Assuming everyone pays their down payments.

Thanks everyone.

Offline basalter

• Experienced Force User
    • A pinch of Salter
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2014, 06:08:49 PM »
PM sent .

Offline Fat Ewok

• Master Force User
    • Gamer Professionals, LLC
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2014, 08:27:11 PM »
I feel awful asking this. :< I see that price tag of $1400 for the empty, and it really has me curious as to what exactly gives it that hefty price tag. :P I know from browsing around here that this thing is nothing short of legendary, and people are clearly psyched about it, but I'm just curious as to what parts of the empty makes it so special. Is it a ton of pieces to assemble? It definitely looks similar to those K3GR-1 sabers that I have seen floating around, but I'm guessing that this thing brings complexity to a whole different level? :O Someone help poor me understand, without biting my head off! I'd love to know a bit more about this saber!

Offline jedicri

• Master Force User
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2014, 08:33:54 PM »
I feel awful asking this. :< I see that price tag of $1400 for the empty, and it really has me curious as to what exactly gives it that hefty price tag. :P I know from browsing around here that this thing is nothing short of legendary, and people are clearly psyched about it, but I'm just curious as to what parts of the empty makes it so special. Is it a ton of pieces to assemble? It definitely looks similar to those K3GR-1 sabers that I have seen floating around, but I'm guessing that this thing brings complexity to a whole different level? :O Someone help poor me understand, without biting my head off! I'd love to know a bit more about this saber!

I know for a fact that copper is expensive.  My bro-in-law, who does renos among other stuff, always sells the copper pipes he gets when he does a complete bathroom reno and always gets a good price for it.

Offline Gil Gamesh

• Formerly known as Kit Fisto
  • Master Force User
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2014, 08:40:23 PM »
indeed, for those that do not build sabers, the cost of raw-materials is quite high for certain types (and this is pricey due to the large diameter material being needed).  This is basically all copper and brass, which is more expensive than aluminum.  Add in the time for design, time for labor, shop fees/costs to produce said saber, and you'll get an idea of some of the cost.  Honestly, for a run of this saber, the price tag is a little less than what I always envisioned, so this is by far a deal!

Support our Font Makers!

Offline JANGO FETT

• Owner of Kilsythe Customs
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2014, 08:55:14 PM »
It definitely looks similar to those K3GR-1 sabers that I have seen floating around, but I'm guessing that this thing brings complexity to a whole different level? :O
History.
First came the Killer Penny(KP). It was a Corbin and OM collaboration.
K3GR1 was an interpretation of the KP. All aluminum
Legacy is an update design of the original KP, in copper and brass.

As to your cost question. Copper and brass are a much more costly material and machining it is more difficult than aluminum.

Have you heard the tragedy of Mark Hamill the Wise?

My thoughts and prayers to the padawans of Coruscant - Master Jeselnik

Offline GENERAL GRIEVOUS

• Call 1-800-GENERAL now!
  • SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • The Saber Artist formerly known as LDM
    • ldmcustomsabers.com
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2014, 10:36:49 PM »
Another very large factor (related to materials cost) is that certain minimums and specific sizes must be purchased for more specialized metals like these.  JANGO already mentioned this, but machining is much more difficult as well.  After all, there are reasons that we almost always use aluminum on sabers and that an extra MKVI copper neck is $70 for one little piece  ;)

Offline Aginor

• Formerly known as Sidewinder
  • Experienced Force User
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2014, 10:56:19 PM »
Deposit sent! :)

As for the extras I think a custom blade plug for this would be awesome. With the stand I'm pretty easy, I just don't want a base that will take up too much space and for it to have a plaque.

Offline Fat Ewok

• Master Force User
    • Gamer Professionals, LLC
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2014, 11:18:05 PM »
Oooh. I see. Thanks for the answers everyone, and I'm looking forward to seeing how this run plays out! :)

Offline Corbin_Das

• Force User
  • Keeper of the Killer Penny
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2014, 12:19:40 AM »
 Copper is indeed expensive.

Hi end copper alloy is even moreso. I can't recall 100%, but I want to say the Penny is made from Naval Brass and Tellurium Copper. Tellurium makes it heavier and harder, and almost doubles the price from standard copper.

Offline basalter

• Experienced Force User
    • A pinch of Salter
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2014, 12:43:29 AM »
Copper is indeed expensive.

Hi end copper alloy is even moreso. I can't recall 100%, but I want to say the Penny is made from Naval Brass and Tellurium Copper. Tellurium makes it heavier and harder, and almost doubles the price from standard copper.

Does this mean the Legacy might use similar materials, rather than 'normal' brass and copper?
 I think the cost is extremely reasonable, considering the sort of expense involved trying to design and build anything similar from scratch! AND everything has been road tested, no discoveries that the design has major flaws, or is aesthetically unpleasant. Finally, it already has its own iconography, and is among the three sabers that got me into this hobby.
Deposit Paid BTW.

retrousse