fiduciary

Author Topic: LEGO saber deposit thread  (Read 21662 times)

Offline Acerocket

• Formerly known as Wat Tambor
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
LEGO saber deposit thread
« on: March 03, 2013, 08:10:51 PM »
OK, this thread will be the official run listing for the LEGO saber run.

Since this saber is a at a premium for internal space, I had to minimize the design features and go with a single 18650 and a Crystal Shard sound board to power the saber.  That means, I cannot just sell empty sabers and CS boards as there are strict rules that Crystal Shard affiliates must follow - one of those being no reselling of boards unless they are installed in a saber.  To that end, I have spoken to my friends in the Rebellion and we will be converting this run to an official Rebellion run.

To refresh everyone's memories, the original, non-sound version of the saber was this:

The saber was redesigned on the inside while still keeping the external dimensions the same.  This is the current desgin:

There will be a strict limit of 30 sabers available on this run.  That is because of the way I have to order material and how I can cut it for machining.

There will be three levels of trim to chose for this saber.  All CS sabers will use a Tri-Rebel LED, stunts will be single die LED (P4 or equivalant).

Stunt:  Single color LED (no mixed colors - eg.  no purple or yellow) and no sound. 
CSV1:  Single or mixed color LED (like purple or yellow - within reason and the installers and I will decide if the color choice will be available) with sound.
CSC1 with FOC:  Single or mixed color LED (like purple or yellow - within reason and the installers and I will decide if the color choice will be available) with sound and with added FOC (white FOC only).

Pricing will be as follows:
A non-refundable deposit of $260.00 will be due before 12:00 PM MST on March 31, 2013.  This deposit includes the 3.5% paypal fee and shipping from me to the installer.  Your spot will not be guaranteed until your deposit is paid - your expression of interest in the other thread is not a guarantee of a saber.  Please take note of this.  Deposit must be paid to sales@orbitalmachining.com and made as a payment for goods (not a personal payment please).

Stunt trim level = $260.00 deposit + $100.00 install fee + shipping
CSV1 trim level = $260.00 deposit + $275.00 install fee + shipping
CSV1 with FOC trim level = $260.00 deposit + $345.00 install fee + shipping
(The install fees include the 3.5% paypal fee and shipping costs will be determined by your isntaller based on your address and what shipping options they will use.)

When the sabers are roughly 30 days from being shipped to installers, a second payment of 1/2 the install fee will be due to your installer prior to the time when I ship the sabers to the installers.  When the saber is installed and ready to ship, the other 1/2 install fee and shipping will be invoiced to you by your installer.

All sabers will come with one acrylic blade.  I am not supplying any 1" blades.  As before, there are six color choices for blade.
Cyan: 
Green: 
Red: 
Blue: 
Violet: 
Yellow: 

A note about blades.  I have to order the acrylic in 4' lengths and I can get 3 blades per 4' section.  I can't promise all colors will be available if the quantities don't work out well.  I will do my best to make sure everyone gets the color of their choice, but I may have to make some changes if the quantities don't work out well.  I will deal with that if necessary after the run closes and I get the final color count.

A second note about blades.  You can get extra blades in different colors if you want - each extra blade is $37.50.

LED color choice:
As mentioned before, all sabers will have tri-rebel LEDs.  All LEDs will be configured in Color-Color-White.
Stunt trim levels will be limited to cyan, green, blue and red - the white die will not be used.
CSV1 trim levels will be limited to cyan, green, blue, red, red+blue (for purple) and red+ green (for yellow) - the white die will not be used.
CSV1 with FOC will eb limited to cyan, green, blue, red, red+blue (for purple) and red+ green (for yellow) - the white die will used for the FOC die.
White will also be an option.  In stunt and CSV1 trim levels, the 3rd white will nto be used.  In CSV1 with FOC, the 3rd white will still be the FOC die.

I am not sure how well a colored acrylic blade will light up with a colored LED.  It may be that a red blade will light very poorly with a red LED, etc.

I am working on an alternative to the colored blade that might solve the colored LED problem.  I was sent a sample of a new type of acrylic rod about a year ago.

As you can see, it's a clear actylic blade (in this case, just a little over .75" diameter - but I have a 1.575" sample coming for testing soon).

In the light of my shop, this is how it looks when the blade is on: (it looks a lot like sideglow fiber optic cable when lit)

And in the dark, it looks like this: (yes, it is very bright in the dark)

Just for a point of reference, this is the blue acrylic blade, both in the lit shop and dark shop.

If the experiments work with the larger diameter sample, I will also make this blade available as the primary or as an extra blade if you want to have a colored blade for shelf duty, and the larger clear blade for showing off.

For now, I do not need to know what your blade color or LED color will be.  Only which level of install you want.  Once I see how the larger diameter clear acrylic works, I will post results and then we can get down to the decisions on blades, extra blades, LED colors, etc.  I posted LED and blade colors to let you know what options will be on the table for sure and to let you start thinking about what you want for your personal saber.

When you make your deposit, please (and this is very important) include your FX-SABERs username and install trim level in your Paypal payment. Also, post in this thread once you have paid your deposit.

------------------------------------------------------------------
edit for clear acylic blade information:

OK, I ot my sample of the 1.575" diameter clear acrylic rod (the fiber opticish stuff).

The picture above was taken in my closed shop (but I do have windows and flourescent lighting) during the daytime hours.  It is a close approximation of how the saber would look shown off in a room during daytime.  Obviously in direct daylight, it will not appear as bright.

The above picture was taken in the exact same spot only at night with the lights out.  It is pretty bright.  Because of the nature of the rod, it does spill a lot of light out of the end and does light up the room pretty good.  Adding a mirroed tip does not add much to the brightness of the blade.  It does help a little, but you would have to experiment to see if gives you the look you want.  Personally, I will probably add some sort of tip just to minimize the light coming out the end of the blade - it acts like a flashlight.

I like how this blade looks so I am going to offer it as a blade option.  Now, the trouble is this:  The clear acrylic blade is 1.575" (+ or -).  The colored acrylic blade is 1.512" (+ or -).  Thats a diameter difference of .063" (roughly).  In order to use the clear acrylic, I have to bore the blade holder much larger than I would for the colored acrylic - that means a spacer will be needed.  I am pretty sure I can use some 1.625" od 1.509" id tube to make a shim sleeve out of.

So what I am going to offer is this:
There will be two choices for the primary blade - clear acrylic and colored acrylic.  If you choose clear acrylic, the blade holder will be larger for the clear acrylic blade.  If you choose colored, the blade holder will be bored for only the colored acylic blade.  Likewise, if you choose the clear acrylic blade, the 1" blade adapter will fit the larger diameter bore and if you choose the colored blade, the 1" blade adapter will fit the smaller diameter bore.  If you choose the colored acrylic balde as your primary blade, you will not be able to use the clear acrylic blade.

If you choose the clear acrylic as your primary blade, you can also purchase an extra (or more in different colors if you choose) colored acrylic blade and I will include the shim sleeve to reduce the emitter bore to accept the colored blade. 

You are free to choose which option best suits your needs.  I am personally going to select a clear blade for showing off the LED aspect of the saber during the day and at night, and I will also be getting a colored blade for when I display the saber on the wall.  That way, I get the best of both worlds. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.  Sollus Vir - stunt - yellow blade
2.  PitDroid - CSV1 with FOC - clear blade
3.  ScrimpyPie - stunt - cyan blade yellow blade + 1" adapter
4.  Clark Kent - CSV1 with FOC - WWW - clear blade + violet blade + yellow blade + C-A adapter
5.  Darth Monkey - CSV1 with FOC - clear blade + violet blade + C-A adapter
6.  tange99 - CSV1 with FOC - clear blade + yellow blade + C-A adpapter
7.  Ladyhawke - stunt - violet
8.  ancientjedi - stunt - clear blade + 1" adapter
9.  Jango Fett - stunt - clear blade + green blade + 1" adapter + C-A adapter
10.  Solan Starr- CSV1 with FOC - clear blade + red blade + red blade + C-A adapter
11.  MH - green blade
12.  MH - blue blade
13.  General Greivous - clear blade
14.  General Greivous - clear blade

---------------------

All sabers have been shipped to installers.  Your installer will contact you to make install arrangements.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 05:57:35 PM by Wat Tambor »

Offline COUNT DOOKU

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • The Count formerly known as Sollus Vir
    • Calvary Custom Sabers
Re: LEGO saber deposit thread
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 08:17:11 PM »
Deposit Sent for A Stunt Trim Level.

I would Like a Yellow Blade. Second Choice would be a Blue Blade.

I appreciate you doing this Wat.  8)

Pass on what you have learned. Strength. Mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. We are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters. ~Master Yoda~

Offline PitDroid

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 08:25:25 PM »
Deposit sent ;D

CSV1 with FOC trim level

Thanks Wat!!

P.S. I sent you a PM as well
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 08:41:42 PM by PitDroid »

Offline ScrimpyPIE

• Experienced Force User
  • Guardian's Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 03:56:19 AM »
Deposit away! Stunt trim-level, Pleeeease. ;D
So glad you gave this saber another chance with a run; thank you!!!

Sincerely,
Tyler
"Use the fork, Luke!"

"Are they friendly?" - Obi-wan Kenobi
"Depends... On how good your manners are;
and how big your  'pocket-book' is. - Dexter Jettster

Lightsaber collection-
US Raven
Mhs-based Luke RoTJ
Rebellion KotOR run x2
(Original: violet)
(Second-hand: sky blue)
OM/LDM Lego saber run
LDM Custom "Quobi"
GenesisCustom Ascend CF6 run
GenesisCustom Badaxx "Browncoat"
Personal saber "Illum" by Simpi-gon Sims
"Primum V2" by Darthvix/LDM

Offline Clark Kent

• Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 05:49:44 AM »
hi Watt,

do you think for a Colored blade, a tri-rebel WWW would be best to light up the blade?
as you mention as an example. a red blade with a red LED might not be the best choice.

suggestions? i was thinking about a CS with no FoC so it will be as bright as possible.

Offline Acerocket

• Formerly known as Wat Tambor
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 09:34:59 AM »
The original saber (non-sound) used a single Lux 3 white LED driven by 4 AAA batteries with a current regualting circuit.  It does not light up the blade like you would see with a hollow, diffused blade like we normally use.  It does light up, you can see a little light during the day in a lit room and lights up enough to see at night - but it does have limitations in lighting the blade evenly all the way to the end.  That being said, a tri-rebel with two white in series/parallel (I am not sure how the installers will wire it up) would probably be brighter than a single Lux 3 so I would guess it would light up a little better - but I still have doubts it will light evenly all the way to the end.  Maybe a lighter blade, like a cyan, violet or yellow might light better because the darker blades will limit light transmission more (like in the old days with the Lee or Roscolux filters - they could cut light transmission by 50-80%).  I really have my fingers crossed for the clear acrylic coming through like the smaller sample is working.  If it does, I am going to use a green or cyan colored blade on my personal saber and then keep a clear blade and go with the cyan or green LED in the saber.  That way, when I have the saber sitting on display, I can keep the colored blade in it and when I want to show it off, I will swap to the clear blade.  I won't be using the adapter and 1" blade because I like the looks with the short, fat blade.

Offline Clark Kent

• Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 09:41:22 AM »
that is a good idea for the two blade option. i like that idea. hmmmmm

but i am thinking about going with the one blade option. maybe with a lighter color like Yellow or Cyan or Violet. and have it all WWW, with no FoC.

ill be the test bunny for that.

thanks Wat.

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known as Alex Gordon
    • Evolution Arms
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 09:47:28 AM »
In stunt and CSV1 trim levels, the 3rd white will not be used.

Even if using all 3 dice was allowed, it wouldn't make much sense trying to draw 3A continuously through the saber.  I don't know off of the top of my head just checked the CS thread and the CS is only able to pass 2A through it for the main led, so an additional PeX/ resistor setup (takes up more room) would have to be used to even be able to power all 3 dice.  not to mention 3 whites drawing 3A total from the batteries continuously would make even the 18650 have pretty bad runtime. 
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 09:57:39 AM by Alex Gordon »

Offline Clark Kent

• Master Force User
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 09:57:34 AM »
ahhhh, i see. but at least if i did choose WWW, it would just be a brighter FoC white right?
and short run time doesnt bother me, this is really for display and showing off to people who come over. it looks good even if it wasnt turned on. thats the beauty of the colored blade.

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known as Alex Gordon
    • Evolution Arms
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 09:59:51 AM »
right.  It could change color if you go with a colored led (2 dice) and white flash with the clear blade when using it and then put the colored blade in when it is being displayed.  Assuming the clear blade works well and becomes an option. 

Offline Clark Kent

• Master Force User
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 10:07:51 AM »
got it, ill do that, WWW, with W FoC and a colored blade (Cyan).

on or off, it will look nice on the wall.

speaking of display. will this come with a custom stand? or do we need to look for another
avenue for that topic?

Offline Darth Monkey

• Force User
  • Smell my finger?
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 10:47:06 AM »
Deposit sent for a CSV1 wFOC trim level

Cheers!
FX-Sabers Vintage Graflex ESB CFv4
FX-Sabers Negotiator TPM CFv6
OM/MH Obi-Wan TPM #18 CFv5
SC/VV Qui-Gon TPM #16 CFv5
OM/LDM Double Awesomesauce Maul TPM CFv6
GCS Darth Bane #15 CFv6
LDM Obi-Wan MKIII AFBB/ANH Hybrid PCv2
LDM Lego Saber CSv1
KR/JQ Mace Windu ROTS CSv5 Neopixel
Tri-Cloud/KR Anakin AOTC NBv2
UltimateWorks/SpaceW Dooku AOTC PRIZMv5 Neopixel
VV Luke ROTJ Gen 1 CS4.5 Neopixel
MR/JQ Yoda ROTS CSv3
MR/JQ Vader ESB CSv5
Korbanth Emperor DS3 Proffie Neopixel

Offline GENERAL GRIEVOUS

• Call 1-800-GENERAL now!
  • SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • The Saber Artist formerly known as LDM
    • ldmcustomsabers.com
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 12:59:08 PM »
Watching... :o

Offline tange99

• No Force
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 02:54:07 PM »
Deposit sent...

CSV1 with FOC trim level

Thanks...

Offline Iggy

• Formerly known as Polarcupz
  • Master Force User
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 03:27:07 PM »
Watching... :o

What?...he said we have until the end of the month to send deposit. It is the first day.  :)

That and the original run option had empties. I know the topic has been discussed to death, and I understand the reasoning, I just prefer to do installs myself. Not sure if it will interrupt the run. I am still deciding.

"I think, therefore I am. I destroy, therefore I endure."

retrousse