fiduciary

Author Topic: A History of Defiance  (Read 2699 times)

Offline GENERAL GRIEVOUS

• Call 1-800-GENERAL now!
  • SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • The Saber Artist formerly known as LDM
    • ldmcustomsabers.com
A History of Defiance
« on: December 30, 2009, 09:43:16 PM »
Here is a little story...

It started with a simple MHS render and has become an institution...well, maybe just a series but institution sounds better.  ;D  The original "Miri's Defiance" was completed in early 2008 for Blue Fox on TCSS.  She had a render that she wanted to become reality and I made it so.  hte original Defiance has a BIN 1 Cyan LED, 616, 1A Pulsedriver, Reverse sound and my first ever LED under bubble strip bargraph.  I reused some of her MR Vader parts like the MPP clamp. 

A few months later, I decided to make the antithesis to Defiance and I called it "Obsidioro: Miri's Temptation" in reference to the character Miri Tekker's temptation and dalliance into the Dark Side.  Obsidioro was my first Gold/Brass PC'd Saber.  It has a MR Jedi board, Seoul P4 U-BIN, Reverse sound, Arkai gold color disc, and 7 accent LEDs.  It was my first under the strip ramping bar graph.  It is menacing with it's offset claw and Acerocket pommel.  I still have it and don't plan on letting it go unless someone backs a truckload of cash to my house.

Earlier this year, Nightstorm (Fx-S) contacted me about re-creating Defiance.  I told him that in deference to defiance I would have to change the design by at least 10%.  I'll let you folks figure out what I changed, but with that in mind, "Precipice" was born.  Same basic color scheme as Defiance, but it included every color of LED module (R, G, B, W, C, A) so he can change at his whim.  It also has a dual layer crystal pommel and blinkies under the bubble strip.  Oh yeah, it also has an US 2.5, in hilt re-chargeable 4.8V NiMH and reverse sound of course.

Once Precipice arrived, Nightstorm contacted me with 4 or 5 new renders.  He finally settled on a gold and black "Precipice V2".  I changed this one subtle-ly as well (note the clear inserts in the MPP clamp for accent shine through).  Electronically, it is the same as V1 except that V2 sports a TruPurple LED and a purple anodized kill key as well as an added UV LED in the Crystal pommel.

Well, that is it.  Here are the visuals of the whole family, reunited for the final time.  They are (from the top): Defiance, Temptation/Obsidioro, Precipice, PV2:

Offline MACE WINDU

• Formerly known as Nightstorm
  • JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Do you have a problem with purple?
Re: A History of Defiance
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 07:36:39 AM »
As proud owner of half of the institution I can only say that the craftsmanship is great and I don't think you need to worry much about that. :)  I'm glad that Blue Fox originally contracted the Defiance so that there was something to build from.  I liked the design the first time I saw it.  When I got the precipice I loved it.  It's been missed while away for repairs :)  I decided that I would REALLY like to have a purple bladed saber and that this design in gold and black would look great.  I think I was right about that.  The sabers look fantastic!

Offline sithslayer1

• Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 12:52:40 PM »
Beautiful Job, General!

I will be in touch shortly, I have a BK4 in need of your services!

Have a great new yr!

Offline Miri Tekker

• No Force
  • Inspirational little Fox
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 05:37:08 PM »
And as the original designer and owner of Defiance, I'm still blown away that Defiance has siblings now. I know some people can get a bit defensive if someone copies their saber but I am very thankful of  LDM and Nightstorm for wanting more. I'm going to add to this bit of history by posting the original MHS builder image and the render I did from it. I dont think that anyone had done LED's in the bubblestrip at the time either. I had no idea it could be done, at the time it was just a concept idea. I had sent LDM my vader ESB (I think) MR saber to help keep the cost down. I had been laid off from my job right before Christmas, so things were tight. I put Christmas money towards this and my dear brother Mcich also chipped in by sending me money for my Birthday.
I am sure LDM and Nightstorm can back me up when I say this is a great design that can be wielded in many different ways. The choke point makes for a great place to hold for spinning. with the clamp and heavier pommel it helps counterbalance the weight of a dueling blade. with a thin-walled blade you can get it spinning pretty fast.

I'm glad I was able to get Defiance back to you at the right time. Thank you for all your hard work General and again, Thank you Nightstorm
Anyway, here is Miri with Defiance on her belt.

MHS Builder design:

My render:

Offline Jedi Loreen

• Force User
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 07:24:28 PM »
I had the pleasurable opportunity to hold the original Precipice when I got the chance to visit LDM's house and see his work shop back in October.   ;D
In order to see the Light
You must sometimes risk the Dark

Offline MACE WINDU

• Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 08:30:02 PM »
Well I for one am glad that you didn't mind this saber being copied.  It's a really great design.  I liked it when I first saw it but when I actually received the Precipice and held it I though.  "Now this is what a lightsaber SHOULD feel like."  It is very well balanced.  It can easily be used in a reverse grip if desired and it just has a functional beauty to it.  The features are really awesome.  There's absolutely nothing about it that I don't like.  From the video and pictures of the Precipice 2 I think I'll have a tough time deciding which one is my favorite.  I can't wait to see that one in person. :)  Thank you Miri for the original design and being willing to share it!

Offline GENERAL GRIEVOUS

• Master Force User
    • ldmcustomsabers.com
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 11:37:56 PM »
I like V2 Precipice the best of all of them, but Defiance holds the special place in my heart of the first with uber-blinkies! ;D

Offline MACE WINDU

• Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 08:42:13 AM »
If you like it the best, I'm doubly excited now :)  I loved the Precipice.  One thing that really impressed me about these builds and I negleted to mention is the care you take in the builds.  Anyone can screw together some MHS parts and call it a saber.  You go above and beyond in the construction of the electronics.  Take the boards for example.  I have a couple of other sabers where the boards were lose inside the saber and just wrapped in electrical tape.  That doesn't compare to what you do at all.  I examined the build pics you posted and can see the care done in the shrink wrapping of each connection, the insulating tube the board is mounted in.  Certainly professional work.  You build these works of art as if they were for you personally and it shows.  You certainly have my continued business and respect.

Thank you sir.

Offline Miri Tekker

• No Force
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 08:21:59 PM »
I agree. the only sound you can hear when you shake Defiance with it shut off is the tilt switches inside. it is solid!
Nightstorm, I will admit I am a bit jealous of the US board. :P but that's okay. just gives me something to look forward to when I can get Defiance V2 :D

Offline GENERAL GRIEVOUS

• Master Force User
    • ldmcustomsabers.com
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 01:19:59 AM »
Thanks folks.  I build each one as though it is for me.  I also notice every imperfection and do realize what I can and can't control (which is why I have a warranty and post so many pictures).  The tight electronics are something I take great pride in (my Cram-fu is kinda legendary at this point I think  ;D )

BTW, the Red P4 module is done and all 3 of Nightstorm's sabers and his charger are packed up and will ship tuesday.

Offline MACE WINDU

• Master Force User
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 09:26:14 AM »
Miri - When you have the chance , I would definitely recommend an upgrade to the US25.  I'm pretty new to the saber scene, well custom built saber scene anyway.  I've got a fairly large collection of Master Replica sabers so I know what those boards are like.  The US series has that cool flicker effect  and very sensitive clash sensors.  The run time on the built in rechargeables was awesome on the Precipice too.  I know it was longer than an hour, though I never timed it.  Having a recharge port in the pommel is a nice touch though.  Adds a little more "Star Wars" to it in my opinion.

GG- Cram Fu Master, Miri is dead on.  I would shake the precipice with it off and all I could here was the switch and the d-ring.  Nothing moves, nothing rattles, it was great.  I wouldn't change a thing about it :)  When I got the saber, I said to my wife.  "You know, I wish I could have had a purple blade with this one, but that wasn't an option.  They sure look cool.  And I bet this would look great in gold and black too."  I considered a couple of options and submitted some renders and the Precipice v2 was born.  I'm excited about the upgrades to the Luke v2 as well.  It's a very nice looking saber.  It seemed much louder than it was before.  Before long, I'm going to have to build a display case :)

Offline GENERAL GRIEVOUS

• Master Force User
    • ldmcustomsabers.com
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 11:44:21 PM »
The V2 is much louder now.  It is really a nice hybrid saber now (I have rebuilt that thing 4 times now, lol)  BTW, I hate it when my sabers rattle so I try to avoid it at all costs. ;D

Offline Miri Tekker

• No Force
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 04:11:39 AM »
I know, I would have loved to have put a US 2.5 in Defiance, but I am under very tight budget constraints right now. I was at least hoping to the economy to turn around so I could go back to my old job making good money, but that's not happening anytime soon. But thats okay. Defiance is a great saber as is.. but you know this already, lol.

Offline GENERAL GRIEVOUS

• Master Force User
    • ldmcustomsabers.com
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 07:52:34 PM »
I know, I would have loved to have put a US 2.5 in Defiance, but I am under very tight budget constraints right now. I was at least hoping to the economy to turn around so I could go back to my old job making good money, but that's not happening anytime soon. But thats okay. Defiance is a great saber as is.. but you know this already, lol.

I do.  And yes, Defiance is VERY cool! ;D

retrousse