fiduciary

Author Topic: Grayven's MR FX Lightsaber Construction set (Joe Jedi) review ( pics Update)  (Read 96495 times)

Offline Andy Anonymous

• Master Force User
    • Andy Anonymous
My ladyfriend got me the Joe Jedi for my birthday last week. It has some strong points: light weight, and the color switch feature is quite nice (though it would be even better to have a way to switch without removing the pieces). I actually preferred the hilt without any of the parts on! as it was slim, clean and easy to spin (although activating is a pain without one of the activation pieces attached).

Ultimately I ended up returning it in exchange for something else (the ladyfriend was fine with this, as she hadn't known if I'd really wanted the Joe Jedi, and had kept the receipt just in case). If I had the time or patience to do any of the modifications to it that guys like Grayven are doing, I might have kept it. As is, though, the blade is too dim and the functionality just not quite tight enough for me to keep it.

Offline Darth Resev

• Man of many names
  • Master Force User
  • I'm back
    • Facebook
Im def gonna wait now until I see if anyones moded these,
sig removed, ...animation not allowed

Offline Andy Anonymous

• Master Force User
    • Andy Anonymous
It also bothers me a little that every one of the major saber parts is derived from an existing FX. No matter how you mix them up, it only looks like a mish-mash of famous Jedi sabers rather than your own "personal" saber.

Offline Darth Resev

• Man of many names
  • Master Force User
  • I'm back
    • Facebook
What they need to do is have random packs with parts no one has ever seen  :-\

Offline LANDO CALRISSIAN

• formerly known as Grayven
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • I have recently struck a deal with empire
I'm Dying to get my modifications under way, However I still have not recived the important piece I need from Ultra. :(

All good is just as flawed as all bad. True power lies somewhere in between.
I like spaghetti, You like spaghetti? If so check out the spaghetti party over at judgesabersmith.com

Offline Darth Resev

• Man of many names
  • Master Force User
  • I'm back
    • Facebook
Let me guess,the LED?  :-\

Offline LANDO CALRISSIAN

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
Let me guess,the LED?  :-\

Close. I'm actually waiting for the whole conversion kit I ordered it on Nov 3rd. It’s just a DV conversion Kit but it just seams to be taking forever to get and my emails and PM's are going unanswered again. I haven’t seen Ultra Logged on since Oct 22. I hope all is well. I have emailed Ultra, Alex and PM'd Darth Vader. I also tried calling their phone number last week and got no answer probable because of the holiday.

I like spaghetti, You like spaghetti? If so check out the spaghetti party over at judgesabersmith.com

Offline Vektor

• Master Force User
  • That other Finnish guy
    • My Elegant Weapons
Any news, Grayven? I just ordered this kit for my sink tube project and I was hoping to convert it to Luxeon as well, thanks to your great review. :) Perhaps Ultra (or others) could offer a complete conversion kit for this in the future?

Offline LANDO CALRISSIAN

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
Update:

I just tried the TRI LUX RGB with the Joe Jedi. No Change to Brightness. Therefor I will not post pics.
I will be working with the TRI LUX RGB for a CFv3 project I'm going to do soon.  That may give me some ideas to use with this kit.
I have bought some parts to build my extra hilts but need some tools that I will be getting after X-mass to Finnish them.

The core fits just right into a Vader ESB fx empty hilt with just one problem. The core is to long.

I have used some scotch tape on the core, which has tightened up the cosmetic hilt pieces really nice. I now use the one I made with a removable blade to duel with the kids and their DSC sabers.

That's all for now.

Grayven

Offline JeedaiProphet

• Padawan Learner
  • Bum a deathstick?
    • My music
I've got a somewhat finished custom FX, and I really want this for parts and just to satisfy a childhood fantasy, I guess. I don't really care about the haters' comments, but I am gonna hold out for a post xmas sale.
Got a deathstick?

Offline Katarn

• Experienced Force User
just got one of these for xmas, and im thrilled with it! its my first FX saber, so i dont have anything to compare it to. maybe thats why i'm so thirlled? anyway, i missed this thread and i posted mine in the gallery section. i think its plenty bright!

mac posted a link to this topic, and boy am i glad he did! grayven thanks for posting the disassembly tutorial! i'm so happy i can change the blade and tap it to be removable now!

hopefully these go on sale (again) and we can order truckloads on the cheap for parts. i actually missed the initial launch at radioshack.com, so i had to order form ebay since i am currently living in japan.
well, thanks again for the great tutorial! so far all i've done is tape mine to tighten up the parts. i plan on a D ring, some copper tape, and now a nice blad from tcss or ultra!

keep us posted on your progress. i'm interested to see if this thing is capable of running a lux III without melting.  ;D
Korbanth LS6 Hero PC 1.6 conversion by LDM (next best thing to the MkVI)
TCSS MHS #1 "Coppertop"
Vintage Graflex ANH

Offline Darth Resev

• Man of many names
  • Master Force User
  • I'm back
    • Facebook
Is that the same saber?Does it have a better blade or LED? Nice costume  8)
Oh and welcome to the forums Katarn  ;D

Offline Katarn

• Experienced Force User
thanks for the welcome! so far everyone here has been great.
yes that is the same "joe jedi" build it yourself saber. stock LED and blade with 3 AAA energizer titanium batteries.
and the costume is just a brown hoodie i have.  ;D
Korbanth LS6 Hero PC 1.6 conversion by LDM (next best thing to the MkVI)
TCSS MHS #1 "Coppertop"
Vintage Graflex ANH

Offline Darth Resev

• Man of many names
  • Master Force User
  • I'm back
    • Facebook
I am def going to get one for my bro in the future.I think these are more suited for him,All he plays with is hasbro and his Mace  :-\

Offline 2saberjedi

• Force User
  • in darkness we are the lite
im still waiting for mine lol well to get it i gotta buy it so ya

welcome KATARN to all things FX

yes KATARN sence i have come here ppl have helped me with my sigs big shout out to tarkin

and with the tear down of my ESB Luke Lord Tyranus thank you my Lord (im just to chickin to take it apart now)

my only gripe is that this saber blade is short but i think that with a full ultra blade and fil that it should (fingers crossed) be ok to use the stock tri LED so ya

retrousse