fiduciary

Author Topic: What game are you playing now?  (Read 310325 times)

Offline HAN SOLO

• Jedi/Alliance General aka FX-Sabers' "The Most Interesting Scoundrel"
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Meet my business parter. His name is DL-44.
Re: What game are you playing now?
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2007, 03:31:39 PM »
Trying not to go to far off topic, alot of Video Game stores in my city have employees trained to clean the Xbox, PS2 and Cubes. It is not to much either. It cost me $20.00 CDN and that was 2 years ago. And I never had to get it ceaned again. With the PS3, I don't know. I had it crash twice playing EA Sports NHL 08, but apparently that game is notorious for crashing during seaon play.

I am back at RE: DC right now. I may finish it tonight. I just wish the made games like this for the PS3. It's all fighting and shooting, but no puzzles or side quests. If RPGs had better fight mechanic and not so vast, I'd ove it. I have an Enchanted Arms I got free with me PS3 and it's an expensive paperweight. Oh, WHY did you push the release date of RE 5 back, Capcom....WHY?!?!?! :'(

Negotiator 007
More to follow.........

Offline Master Mac

• Master Sig Artist
  • Master Force User
  • Firmitas in Caelo
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2007, 03:35:52 PM »
Well, I can't comment on Xbox and Cubes, but PS2 are wicked easy to clean. Def not worth paying 20 bucks for something that could be done in literatley 5 minutes. However, I think Gamestop can do cleanings on most systems, for the record.
As you from crimes would pardon'd be,
Let your indulgence set me free.

Offline Phatman

• Force User
    • myspace page
« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2007, 03:42:43 PM »
Its possible for your PS2's laser to die over time, or rather any consoles laser will fade.  I had it happen to all 3 of my last gen systems.  The gamecube was an easy fix since you could open up the system and crank up the power on the laser.

This is my least favorite aspect of the newer game consoles. Gone are the days of keeping your beaten-up SNES around for 15 years and having it still work like new. Whereas the older systems were fully solid state, the newer ones have laser lenses and moving parts, both of which will degrade and stop working in 4-8 years, tops.

And unless the manufacturers keep the string of backward compatibility going (which, based on their recent moves, it looks like they won't), what we'll all be faced with, eventually, is a situation where the old consoles aren't made anymore and can't be fixed...so we're stuck with a bunch of old games we've no way to play anymore.

Don't worry, I'm sure they will be glad to re-release the game on a future console and take your money again.  Just look at the Wii.  The best thing about the cartridge based systems was emulators and ROMs.

Offline Darth Resev

• Man of many names
  • Master Force User
  • I'm back
    • Facebook
« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2007, 05:53:38 PM »
Thanx for the info guys,Ill try and clean it tonight or tomorrow.
I wish they would hurry up with RE5 too :-\
RE:CVX The bonus shooters level with good claire
sig removed, ...animation not allowed

Offline SAESEE TIIN

• Formerly known as Lazbum
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • I wish I had quotes as cool as Admiral Ackbar!
« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2007, 06:14:32 PM »
Its possible for your PS2's laser to die over time, or rather any consoles laser will fade.  I had it happen to all 3 of my last gen systems.  The gamecube was an easy fix since you could open up the system and crank up the power on the laser.

This is my least favorite aspect of the newer game consoles. Gone are the days of keeping your beaten-up SNES around for 15 years and having it still work like new. Whereas the older systems were fully solid state, the newer ones have laser lenses and moving parts, both of which will degrade and stop working in 4-8 years, tops.

And unless the manufacturers keep the string of backward compatibility going (which, based on their recent moves, it looks like they won't), what we'll all be faced with, eventually, is a situation where the old consoles aren't made anymore and can't be fixed...so we're stuck with a bunch of old games we've no way to play anymore.

Well there actually is one problem with the old cartridges.  They all had batteries inside them which allowed them to run/hold save files.  I'm not sure if you were able to replace them either, but those consoles sure last long.  Still have my original NES in working order since 1990.  Also about the comment about cleaning your systems at GameStop is definitely a no go(at least we aren't supposed to  :D).  We sell cans of compressed air and thats it.  In order to even clean them really good you must take apart the system.  The gamecube had special screws on the bottom which you had to remove, and then remove a ridiculous amount of screws to seperate its parts and spray everything clean.  The PS2 was much easier (the bigger one) you simply removed the back sticker, which would remove the warranty but those systems are so old it doesn't even matter.  Pop off the rubber bottoms, unscrew the console, then remove the fan and clean.  I personally never took apart the xbox because once the laser dies on that you'd have to buy a new laser.

Phew long post there.  Also as a comment about cleaning the lasers.  On the gamecube you can use those wipes that are used to clean monitors, glasses, etc. but be carefull not to move the laser diode too much.  For your xbox or ps2 any circuit city or best buy sells a cleaning dvd.  Its a simple DVD with a little brush on it, just pop it in and run the DVD.  This gave my xbox and ps2 at least another 6-7 months before they just died completely.

Thanks to Darth Nerdold for the sig!
Proud Owner of a Graflex V from Yoda!

Offline Darth Resev

• Man of many names
  • Master Force User
  • I'm back
    • Facebook
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2007, 06:19:40 PM »
I should be able to take the PS2 apart no prob.(My parents are always asking me why I take things apart :-\)

Offline HAN SOLO

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2007, 07:15:40 PM »
Just Beat RE:DC on third save and it said something like "You're Really A Tough Guy and you've completed the entire story" and showed Chris in the big city with a brown leather jacket, leaning on an apartment rail. (I played as Jill first and then Chris Again)

AND.....The mansion blows up in the end of my game. RE, where did you get that the mansion doesn't blow-up. I played it twice and it blew up both time. I may be missing something. I'd like to see the none blow-up end too! :D

Negotiator 007
More to follow.........

Offline Shade Valryn

• Experienced Force User
  • Sith or Jedi? I'm truly not sure...
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2007, 07:53:32 PM »

Well there actually is one problem with the old cartridges.  They all had batteries inside them which allowed them to run/hold save files.  I'm not sure if you were able to replace them either, but those consoles sure last long.  Still have my original NES in working order since 1990.  Also about the comment about cleaning your systems at GameStop is definitely a no go(at least we aren't supposed to  :D).  We sell cans of compressed air and thats it.  In order to even clean them really good you must take apart the system.  The gamecube had special screws on the bottom which you had to remove, and then remove a ridiculous amount of screws to seperate its parts and spray everything clean.  The PS2 was much easier (the bigger one) you simply removed the back sticker, which would remove the warranty but those systems are so old it doesn't even matter.  Pop off the rubber bottoms, unscrew the console, then remove the fan and clean.  I personally never took apart the xbox because once the laser dies on that you'd have to buy a new laser.

Phew long post there.  Also as a comment about cleaning the lasers.  On the gamecube you can use those wipes that are used to clean monitors, glasses, etc. but be carefull not to move the laser diode too much.  For your xbox or ps2 any circuit city or best buy sells a cleaning dvd.  Its a simple DVD with a little brush on it, just pop it in and run the DVD.  This gave my xbox and ps2 at least another 6-7 months before they just died completely.

KK, with saves on these old cartridges most of the one's i've seen can be pried apart at the seam, and there's a familair battery visable that has prongs holding it on only by grip on touch, the battery i've seen looks like a thin, slightly large, round, watch battery (if you know what i'm talkin about). If your cartridge does have this (and some don't) it is replacable, but I'm not sure if your data stays or not, but I have seen a couple NES cartridges as well as SNES that contain the battery i'm describing.
Darth Maul Ultra FX

Also have 2 purple Minilords, one Green K2, one Royal Blue K

Offline Darth Resev

• Man of many names
  • Master Force User
  • I'm back
    • Facebook
« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2007, 08:14:35 PM »
Did you get the special closet key?When you beat the game with jill,you should get your score and they should give you a special closet key.You then have to start a new game with Jill.In the great hall theres three doors,the dining hall,the room with the statue of the woman drawing water and the locked door.Use your mansion key to unlock it the door and work your way to the room with the giant mirror(Warning there will be zombies)Go to the door beside the mirror, unlock it with the special key and you go to the clothes rack.It will ask if you want to change clothes,answer yes and you should get the new costume.After this point in the game the ending will be changed.

Offline Andy Anonymous

• Master Force User
    • Andy Anonymous
« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2007, 08:18:09 PM »
Don't worry, I'm sure they will be glad to re-release the game on a future console and take your money again.  Just look at the Wii.  The best thing about the cartridge based systems was emulators and ROMs.

Yeah, I never really got much into ROMs, except the arcade ones. I'm just far more at home with the classic console games playing them on a TV, with a real controller, from a comfy couch.

Also, it's worth noting that there actually is a nice benefit to the Virtual Console games on the Wii, especially if you have an HDTV: the Wii upscales them all to 480p. Most of the old cartridge games were half that resolution, and if you try actually hooking up an NES and firing up Super Mario Bros., and then go play the Virtual Console version, you'll see the night and day difference I'm talking about.

Well there actually is one problem with the old cartridges.  They all had batteries inside them which allowed them to run/hold save files.  I'm not sure if you were able to replace them either, but those consoles sure last long.  Still have my original NES in working order since 1990.

It actually is possible to replace those batteries. You need a special tool called a "gamebit" (can find them on eBay and other places), which has the special kind of tip that opens the cartridges. From that point, the battery is just a certain type of watch battery you can buy at any drugstore. Of course you lose any old saves that were still on there, but you get a perfectly working battery save that'll last another 5-10 years.

Offline SAESEE TIIN

• Formerly known as Lazbum
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • I wish I had quotes as cool as Admiral Ackbar!
« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2007, 08:27:14 PM »
I remember ordering that gamebit on ebay to open up the gamecube.  I think my absolute favorite thing about the wii is the Virtual Console, I love playing all the old games without them looking extremely bad on an HDTV.

Thanks to Darth Nerdold for the sig!
Proud Owner of a Graflex V from Yoda!

Offline Darth Resev

• Man of many names
  • Master Force User
  • I'm back
    • Facebook
« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2007, 08:33:43 PM »
The same with Chris,he gets his "Made in Heaven" leather jacket

Offline HAN SOLO

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2007, 09:00:13 PM »
The same with Chris,he gets his "Made in Heaven" leather jacket

Ha! The Elvis look! No, the door was actually unlocked. I wonder if I beat it a third time on the saved info that it was on (PS3 saves it to memory after loaded from the PS1 card). I like Chris' combat outfit better than leather. Jill looks OK with the tight uniform, but nothing beats Claire's "Texas" look with the 6 shooter! (RE2) I've been playing this game off and on for almost 10 years. (RE is an addiction of mine. The police service I am with is something like the small town. But no zombies....just "drunkies" and you can't shoot them. Even though the thought of shooting at their feet is joked about! :D)

No, I've never had it where the mansion doesn't blow up. I am not going through it again for a while. I wonder if it was because I didn't change outfits? Could that be it? Maybe 6 months down the road, I may play it again. ;D

Negotiator 007
More to follow.........

Offline Darth Resev

• Man of many names
  • Master Force User
  • I'm back
    • Facebook
« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2007, 09:34:08 PM »
As you can see I am a RE fan addicted to the games also.Yeah if you dont change costumes the game doesnt change.Barry and Wesker end up surviving.Unfortunately I dont have all the games and have been searching for them.
Night of the Living Drunks :D

Offline Darth Resev

• Man of many names
  • Master Force User
  • I'm back
    • Facebook
« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2007, 09:54:46 PM »
Hey Tarkin,got some info on RE5.They say its gonna be like blackhawk down and takes place in africa.Here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resident_Evil_5

retrousse