fiduciary

Author Topic: Real Saber Concepts...  (Read 42034 times)

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MERIDIAN
Real Saber Concepts...
« on: June 27, 2007, 02:52:27 PM »
Just to give everyone a "heads-up"

A friend of mine is planning on posting some concepts for "real" lightsaber technology.

He is also assisting in developing some new products we can actually use :D

But in any case this may be the Delusions of grandeur but it will be a serious discussion
about real physics and possibilities (however dangerous they may be) so...

A) please stay on topic when it starts  ;)

B) don't try this at home :D

C) be open minded and courteous  :)

Remember a real Lightsaber would be a very dangerous military application so don't
expect there to be a Graflex list any time soon (or ever) but do put on your physics
hat (or robe hood) and explore the possibilities.

MTFBWY
always
YODA

Offline Super sith 22

• Master Force User
  • ROCK ON!
    • sabercity
Re: Real Saber Concepts...
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 05:30:32 PM »
i always thought that you could use a very thin bar of whatever material can stop the beam to be spring loaded in the hilt ready to shoot out and come thogether like a very tiny, yet long, hasbro blade. the bar would have a tip at the end made of the same material. then the beam would be on a seperate switch relay. the beam would come out around the bar.

Iv'e thought of the "beam" being plasma but that is actualy not what i thought it was. (it's a small beam of fire and air) the military already has "lasers" in the burning field. but it would take so much power and electronics in the hilt you would get about three feet before you run out of body power and ignite untill the battery dies after 3 seconds :D

just my idea

Now That's a mouthfull! :P
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 06:32:00 PM by Super sith 22 »
"A gun is just a tool, like a hammer or an alligator." -Homer Simpson

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 06:03:47 PM »
 ;D
Thanks for the heads up master yoda and I'm looking forward to this!!I for one will stick to the custom sabers of yours due to the fact I value my hands lol!! :D

Offline Jedi Knight Logan

• MASTER OF THE HURRICANE FLURRY
  • Master Force User
  • "Have lightsaber, will travel....."
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 06:28:10 PM »
That sounds facinating and I look forward to it. :) Though I think I'll stick to polycarbonate, wood, and steel! ;D

"A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack..."

Offline Yukiel

• Master Force User
  • LAKES FLOATING IN SPACE!
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 06:41:38 PM »
This is gonna be fun to partake in. yay!

Am I alive or dead?
rip sabers

Offline JediKnightGuy82

• Experienced Force User
  • Alfs of the Old Republic?
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 07:25:17 PM »

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j134/jediknightguy82/realsaber.jpg

So, in order for a real saber to work, we'd need to stop the laser from going infinitely. Therefore, a mirror or reflective device of some kind would need to be affixed at the desired length to redirect the laser. I am no expert in physics or science, so this is just me throwing out ideas. However, I doubt you can redirect a laser back into itself, so it would need to be offset somehow. Also, there could be some kind of energy collecting device at the end of the laser that re-energizes itself perpetually. Woah, I just blew my own mind right there. Thoughts?

Offline Super sith 22

• Master Force User
  • ROCK ON!
    • sabercity
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 07:40:58 PM »
^ that's like what i was saying but my "reflective material" was under the beam and at the tip so i guess no stabbing also if you invented perpetual energy i belive you'd win the nobel prize and any other science ginius (i probably spelled that wrong) award hehe.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 07:42:40 PM by Super sith 22 »
"A gun is just a tool, like a hammer or an alligator." -Homer Simpson

Offline Jedi Farmboy

• Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2007, 02:07:51 AM »
Well I guess, and this is coming from someone who dropped physics at the first chance he got, that the idea bhind the "fixed length" of the blade is that it is a burst of energy (or light) that is almost immediatly retracted and sent back out in a loop, which is the star wars explanation of how it works, but thats impossible right?
"...the galaxy was littered with the body parts of those
who had underestimated the strength of Luke Skywalker."

- Darth Caedus, 41 ABY

Offline vivan_cygna

• formerly known as Vivan Cygna
  • Master Force User
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2007, 02:29:10 AM »
The feat of having a ray of light looping back to it's source may not be impossible with the recent research of light property and how to manipulate it. Some says that light (photon) is a matter nevertheless. But the feat of dueling with a ray of light is impossible, for light does not have a physical property.

This is an article I found in the net a long time ago......

A NEW ELEMENT FOR A NEW WEAPON

Master Obi-Wan Kenobi described a lightsaber as “an elegant weapon for a more civilized age.” Contrary to what the name might imply to the uninitiated, the deadly blade of a lightsaber is not actually made up of pure light. By consulting with official records (the recently released DVD trilogy), we see that a lightsaber blade performs feats that no mere beam of light is capable of: parrying similar blades, casting shadows, and stopping in mid-air a short distance from its source (Figure A).

Lightsaber blades actually have solid metal cores. This central part of the formidable weapon is made of a single element, metachlorium (Me), number 138 on the periodic table, whose discovery shattered all materials records for melting point and cohesive energy. An energy cell powers three pumping lasers that are focused onto a coupling crystal at the base of the blade core, allowing a unique electromagnetic frequency to travel along the blade core as surface plasmons. Waste heat causes the blade core to rapidly expand by a factor of four or more, until it reaches its full size.

Magnetic suspension (which produces the weapon’s characteristic hum) physically isolates the Me rod, containing the intense surface oscillations safely on the blade exterior. Some electromagnetic energy escapes as light in a color corresponding to coupling frequency, but the core contains almost all of it until coupled to another object, at which time plasmon energy and blade heat enables it to slice through steel like a knife through butter.

Credits:
Joseph F. AuBuchon and Joel Hollingsworth
Graduate Student Researchers
Materials Science and Engineering Program
University of California, San Diego

Illustration:

Oohh.. no no, I don't believe any of it. It's just another Delusion of Grandeur.  :D
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 02:36:17 AM by C-3PO »
Eat all the bacon!

Offline Darth Pantsless

• Master Force User
  • He's a scoundrel, you'd like him
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2007, 03:23:31 AM »

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j134/jediknightguy82/realsaber.jpg

So, in order for a real saber to work, we'd need to stop the laser from going infinitely. Therefore, a mirror or reflective device of some kind would need to be affixed at the desired length to redirect the laser. I am no expert in physics or science, so this is just me throwing out ideas. However, I doubt you can redirect a laser back into itself, so it would need to be offset somehow. Also, there could be some kind of energy collecting device at the end of the laser that re-energizes itself perpetually. Woah, I just blew my own mind right there. Thoughts?

Optic fibre dude,

My thoughts are that if it has enough enery to cut through a blast room door the energy would vaporise the person using it

Offline JediKnightGuy82

• Experienced Force User
  • Alfs of the Old Republic?
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2007, 04:11:43 PM »
I think it would be fairy easy to create a laser saber set-up like above, albeit without the cutting. Is there a good way to make a laser visible the entire length short of smoke or fog?

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MERIDIAN
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2007, 04:51:14 PM »
3PO that looks like an interesting concept.

Once my friend posts his topic you'll all get a better Idea as to what the concept entails...

But do be aware this is not going to be a topic about mirrors and beams, it will be about
energy containment and how to create something that won't be harmful to the user etc...

Hopefully he will have this thesis together soon and post it so we can discuss from there.

Physics Teachers and Science Majors/Professionals are encouraged to enter the discussion
and please I can't stress this enough.

Serious concepts and discussion only  8)

Threads considered off topic or non relevant will get deleted because this will stand a s a reaserch
thread for those interested in participating :)

MTFBWY
always
YODA

Offline SAESEE TIIN

• Formerly known as Lazbum
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • I wish I had quotes as cool as Admiral Ackbar!
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2007, 05:31:03 PM »
Me and my friends were talking about magnetic suspension with a heated element about a year ago while we were at a science engineering competition.  The one thing we couldn't figure out was how you could use an acclerated particle thats inside a magnetic field to cut something without being released from the field and harming the area around it, that article you posted C3PO was quite interesting.  I believe there were universities that actually attempted something similar to what you posted.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 05:35:22 PM by SAESEE TIIN »

Thanks to Darth Nerdold for the sig!
Proud Owner of a Graflex V from Yoda!

Offline Sidneyious

• Alias......Ninja of the Mist
  • Master Force User
    • Blog of my saber builds.
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2007, 10:52:59 PM »
This was wrighten up by jedi hilt over at tcss and I think that it could actually possibly work but heh I sure dont have the cash to even try to build somehting like this.

Quote from: JediHilt
The design looks something like this I will explain all the parts and the reasoning behind them in this post.

My research originally began with German U.F.O's. I noticed that their craft would glow colors like red,blue,green,and purple (my mind automatically thought "LIGHTSABER" :twisted: ). Allied bomber pilots would often run into remote controlled drones that used this technology they called them Foo Fighters. The technology was designed by a man named Viktor Schauberger an Austrian scientist captured by the Germans during the war for his work on things related to Diamagnetism link:http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=viktor+schauberger. Diamagnetism is basically the ability of a substance to repel magnetic fields and shield gravity in a strong magnetic field in this link you can research this effect:http://www.hfml.ru.nl/froglev.html and in this video you can see a frog defying gravity inside of a strong magentic field http://www.hfml.ru.nl/pics/Movies/frog.mpg Now moving on to how all this applies to my design the battery powers the motor and the motor spins a turbine that is nothing more than disk with an egg on it as you see in the picture this is spun inside of a cylinder full of water it produces a special vortex. (this effect can be demonstrated at home using a tall glass full of water, an egg, and a spoon to spin the water counter-clockwise) If you take a copper coil and submerge it in running creek water it creates a proton electrical current in the coil this is due to the vortex movement of water made by rivers and streams a vortex enhances waters diamagnetism so by increasing the power,RPM,size and so on this effect of a water vortex can be multiplied this is what the egg turbine in the picture does it spins the water into a vortex inside of a copper coil producing a high voltage of protons this is fed into the emitter. If you remember Bodi's design this is basically how my emitter works now notice the superconductor a superconductor is a perfect diamagenetic diamagnetism repels magnetic fields therefore repelling the electric arc of the blade only my design uses a water vortex instead of a superconductor to produce diamagnetism (arc spins around giving the blade the apearance of being solid) and one other difference is my design doesn't need a plasma injector my  emitter makes it's own plasma Bodi's arc blade uses electrons my arc blade uses protons therefore emitting protons and air is negatively charged and you know what happends when a proton and an electron combine you get hydrogen gas and hydrogen gas under a high voltage turns into hydrogen plasma. excess voltage from the emitter is fed down into the circutry which acts as a voltage regulator for recharging the battery that is powering the motor so if atleast you partially understand all that the cycle goes like this: Step1/switch activated connecting power from the battery to the motor.  Step2/motor spins turbine producing a water vortex which produces diamagnetism which produces proton voltage in the copper coil. Step3/emitter arcs the voltage in a circle and the diamagnetism of the generator relflects the arc out making it extend producing a blade and the protons emitted by the arc produce hydrogen plasma. Step4/ excess voltage from the emitter is fed down to the circutry to be regualted and fed into the battery for it's recharging to continue powering the motor. Step5/ cycle repeats untill power is cut from the motor.

Googling these search words might help your understanding:

Viktor Schauberger
repulsine
trout turbine
German UFO
Foo Fighter
diamagnetism
diamagnetic UFO

Offline The Abbot

• Master of the Jar'Kai Style
  • Master Force User
  • Lajedi.com ,Force-Fx.com Founder
    • http://www.Force-Fx.com
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2007, 11:04:26 PM »
3PO that looks like an interesting concept.

Once my friend posts his topic you'll all get a better Idea as to what the concept entails...

But do be aware this is not going to be a topic about mirrors and beams, it will be about
energy containment and how to create something that won't be harmful to the user etc...

Hopefully he will have this thesis together soon and post it so we can discuss from there.

Physics Teachers and Science Majors/Professionals are encouraged to enter the discussion
and please I can't stress this enough.

Serious concepts and discussion only  8)

Threads considered off topic or non relevant will get deleted because this will stand a s a reaserch
thread for those interested in participating :)

MTFBWY
always
YODA

wow I can`t wait for this..
I would be happy with a retracting sword.
But a non deadly beem of light that looks cool while spinning would be awesome.
LaserBlade:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/laserblade/id608879483?mt=8

The poster formerly known as Kit Fisto. Creator of the Force-FX sig style. Master of the 2 saber staff style way before Pong Krell

retrousse